Sponsored by:

Lightweight batteries-again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM
GDOG8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight batteries-again...

I have read the most recent threads on lightweight batteries, but every case seems to be unique-here is my situation:

My 93 coupe battery is dead. I drive it here in Michigan regularly during the summer( several days a week), but it is stored in my heated garage in winter.

This is what I think I am am looking for in a new set up:

-lighter battery at reasonable cost
-cut off switch
-clean looking off the shelf installation

I like the idea of the smaller antigravity battery but don’t know what other accessories I need to make it all come together.
-
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by GDOG8
I have read the most recent threads on lightweight batteries, but every case seems to be unique-here is my situation:

My 93 coupe battery is dead. I drive it here in Michigan regularly during the summer( several days a week), but it is stored in my heated garage in winter.

This is what I think I am am looking for in a new set up:

-lighter battery at reasonable cost
-cut off switch
-clean looking off the shelf installation

I like the idea of the smaller antigravity battery but don’t know what other accessories I need to make it all come together.
-
Hey GDO,

I will be back in town tomorrow if you want to email me at scott@antigravitybatteries.com I will give you the low down on all the particulars to address you specific scenario. Or I'll try to get online later tonight.

Most important issue if you choose to go with lithium is your Amp Hour requirements to meet you needs. And what you are willing to do in terms of how much maintenance you want to do. Meaning do you want the car to be able to sit for a month easily without being on a charger, or do you not mind it on a maintainer.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I’ve got the odyssey/rennline combo. Been pretty happy with it. never wired in the cut-off switch, but it’s on my growing list of small odds and ends to do to the car.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:40 AM
seeq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Braille AGM Lightweight Battery with Rennline mount.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...&cat=Batteries
Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

Have a look at Voltphreaks. They cost a little more than the Antigravity batteries, but they’re lighter and more powerful. Winter storage is a snap - simply turn the battery off and forget about it. The battery was still fully charged when spring rolled around. I couldn’t be happier with the battery.

Still fully charged after winter storage
Old 04-13-2019, 06:37 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer

AGM vs LiIon.

Either way way a long winter.

I’m from Harbor Springs originally.

Wish there was C-tech back then
Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I installed my first Odyssey PC925 about 3 years ago, that battery lasted about 2.7 years and eventually wouldn’t hold a charge. I ordered my second one in February 2019 and found it dead today. Both batteries were charged full on a weekly basis but this time the battery didn’t even make it a week before dying. Let’s see how Odyssey handles the warranty, I’ll report back so you have another point of reference.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:42 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

My little Antigravity atx-30 started the car all winter, even in single digit temperatures. Couldn’t be happier. Their 5-amp charger even has a low-temperature shut off so that the battery isn’t damaged by charging in very low temperatures. You can leave it plugged in all winter and forget about it if you want.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have been testing the ATX30 battery this winter and the battery is great! I sometimes forget to turn off my hardwired V1 or leave the frunk or engine bay open with the light and drains the battery to enable their re-start feature. Works as advertised multiple times. I open my car manually with the key (since my immobilizer wont work with the battery shut off), pop the frunk, push the restart button, start the car. I drive the car for about 15 minutes and the car starts up normally no problem.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Have a look at Voltphreaks. They cost a little more than the Antigravity batteries, but they’re lighter and more powerful. Winter storage is a snap - simply turn the battery off and forget about it. The battery was still fully charged when spring rolled around. I couldn’t be happier with the battery.

Still fully charged after winter storage
Voltphreaks is good stuff... I think they are doing it well and worth a look for sure.

But want to clarify they are in no way Lighter or more Powerful. This will depend on the cells pack size inside of the battery and if they are using top quality cells like us then you won't see a variation of any significance between the batteries if we are talking the same REAL Amp Hour Capacity. I think the ATX30 is actually lighter than the model you show.. but the model you show does have more Amp Hours. But the ATX30 is about 2 times less costly. But its ultimately up to the Buyer to determine what they want for their application.

So ultimately when comparing the lithium Batteries you have to know what the REAL Amp Hour capacity is of the battery that is inside the Case. Then look at the features and the overall cost. But the good thing about the Volt Phreaks and our Antigravity Batteries is we both offer a Battery Management System to protect the battery from Over-discharge and offer other features. Where as a company like Braille is more expensive than both our Batteries yet has no protections or these modern features. So that is one of the key criteria if you going with Lithium...
Old 04-28-2019, 10:57 AM
GDOG8
Instructor

Just wanted to circle back and thank everyone who replied here and on PM with me -providing first hand experiences and advice. It is much appreciated.

I ended up going with the Antigravity ATX-30, battery holder and terminal adapters. The whole package was something like $525.00.(inc shipping)

I feel like I got a new battery, neatly installed, got about 30# lighter, and added the restart safety feature-all for what seems to me like a reasonable price. I must also add that the personal service that Scott provided throughout the process was fantastic.

Thanks again to all!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

G can you please post a picture of the installation, I would love to see what the mounting bracket looks like in the car.

Also did you need to perform any modifications to install the battery or was it a plug and play?

I’m fairly certain my Odyssey will be headed to the recyclers soon as they have stated it is undersized for our cars and will not hold up well to the load requirements.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:08 PM
GDOG8
Instructor

Car is at the detailer for a couple days. I will get a pic out ASAP. It was VERY easy plug and play. I am one of the least mechanical people on earth. I had the old one out, and new one in-in about 30 min. I’d say most people would be done in 15 min.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Knowing it’s plug and play for our cars is great.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't had a chance to write it up yet, but here are a few pics from the install. The build quality is excellent on the battery holder. Looks like machined aluminum and bolts right in with the factory mounting points to secure the battery.

Quick Reply: Lightweight batteries-again...