Sponsored by:

Adrian's book: question 2 - DME

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Adrian's book: question 2 - DME

On page 512 there is a test where they ran a stock C2 with three different DME units. I thought you couldn't use a DME from a RS or Cup without the other changes in the engine. Is there anything to consider, or if you could get a second hand RS DME unit would it be a bolt on in a C2?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry , can't help
but if you have a rs dme you want to sell ................
you have a buyer right here !!

( i have been told the rs had no airbag , and i am removing mine )
Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Thomas,
Yes they plug straight in otherwise we would not have been able to do the tests would we?
You lose bottom end power and torque, it is a bit like driving a turbo and having to keep the revs up above 3000 rpm. These are performance enhancements not necessarily good comfortable driving enhancements.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-09-2004, 05:30 PM
ian c - u.k

just had a thought ....................

if i fit a 1991 dme ( non-airbag car ) will that be ok for me to fit a non-airbag wheel ?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Ian,
I am afraid I do not see the connection with airbag and DME. If your national authority did not require airbags fitted when your particular model was built then I believe if you have them fitted as an option they can be removed. The RS for instance was delivered without airbags. The RS 3.8 was supposed to be delivered with an airbag steering wheel for most markets if it was to be used for the road.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
ian c - u.k

hi adrian ,
was told/read somewhere that you have to do something to the dme unit to stop the airbag light being permanently on when you fit a non-airbag wheel .
Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh - don't think the DME has anything to do with that.... Just jumper the harness for $0.02 and your done.
on the DME's I used a "Normal" DME with a stock and Weltmiest chip - no problems - also my "Cup" Dme with both the Welt and Andial chips - totally interchangable - different charistics though i ended up taking the "normal" one out and running the Welt chip in the "Cup" DME for the One Lap with the normal one as a spare and keeping the Andial chip for reserve for Race gas. (which i did not use)

humm this sounds confusing - huh?

they all work interchangeably

Old 02-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Ian,
Somebody was pulling your leg or had no clue what they were talking about. There is no connection between the DME and the airbag system in the 964.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-10-2004, 04:46 PM
ian c - u.k

thanks guys !!

one less thing to worry about
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Im not sure if the airbag control unit is wired into the DME on 964s the same way it is on 944s, so 964s may be different than this:

On a 944, the DME itself is no different for an airbag or non-airbag equipped car, but if you remove the airbag control unit, the car will not start unless you find and jump two pairs of wires leading to/from the DME (it actually cuts the DME fuel/ignition like the alarm system does).

Also, if you remove the airbag steering wheel, you cannot just jump the connection. The control unit measures a resistance across the airbag during the diagnostic check at startup. If the resistance differs from the designed range, it will identify a fault and light up the dash fault lights. You would have to put a known resister in the circuit, in place of the airbag, to fool the control unit into thinking the airbag is still there.

Quick Reply: Adrian's book: question 2 - DME