Need Engine Undertray

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Engine Undertray

Greetings:

I purchased a 1989 C-4 earlier this year and absoulutely love the car.

The unit is in great condition with only 37,000 miles. Along the way however the previous owner had the engine tray removed by a shop and could not provide it as part of the purchase.

I'm looking for a fairly priced replacement.

Please contact me off the list if you have one hanging on your garage wall.

I'm located in NW ohio.

Thanks

Ken Bigham
Uproar@adelphia.net
Old 02-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken ,

This is a veeeeeeeery much discussed part.........

Look at my topic from Last August about engine temperatures with or without undertray's. There were some guys who want to give it away because they removed it.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Go to right corner above, typ "search", then the word "undertray", and for a search time 1 year and newer.
You will see a few topics about engine temps, pick those out and check for undertray guys.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:55 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan,

I believe our new guest wants to buy a used undertray from a fellow Rennlister. He lives in the central US which gets a fair amount of snow and the roads are covered with salt. The tray is for protection against the adverse affects of the snow and salt covered roads.

Good luck, Ken. If you're a member, you might consider posting a "Want to Buy" ad on the PCA.org website. I've actually sold TWO sets of wheels that way.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Joe, yes I know what he wants, but in my topic a few people wanted to get rid of the undertray for free, so I tought may be he could get a cheap one from one of those who posted replies then.

Just a idea.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:20 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Trays were a hot topic (no pun) when I first joined this list. Now that I have some experience, I have an opinion to offer.

The arguement that trays raise engine temperature has not been proven to my satisfaction. Even if there was some effect, stock 964s don't have problems with overheating. Considering the cooling fan and road draft, the tray appears to have generous openings for air flow. Upon shut-down, the tray will definately insulate the engine and slow the cooling rate. That is a good thing, especially in winter time.

The tray also respects the neighbors by quieting the engine noise. It is designed to improve aerodynamics as well. The tray is the first thing I would remove to get weight out of a track car, but my engine is cleaner and better protected with the tray in place.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all that replied.

I have a tray on the way from a lister.

I didn't want to rehash the previous posts and did a lot of reading before determining that for my own use the tray would be a good thing. Adrian's book (well worth the money) also appeared to be in support of the pan.

I also have a 928S and one item that was beneficial to reducing convection was the use of Header wrap. I have wrapped my exhaust, gutted cats from the manifold to the exhaust tip.

I also have insulated the intake track and air box. The net result was a need to bump the fuel pressure by about 6 PSI to reach the same before and after A/F ration on my ARM guage.

Looking at the manifolds and exhaust on the 964 it might be something I will consider the first time I remove them for the valve adjustment.

In any event, thanks for the band width.

Ken Bigham
aka Vlocity (personalized plates on the C-4)
Uproar (personalized plates on the 928S)
Old 02-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Ken,

Great you found one.
Don't buy the original speednuts and nuts from Porsche, They are sooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive! Go the the hardware store and buy stainless steel stuff there for 10% of the Porsche price.

Quick Reply: Need Engine Undertray