Sponsored by:

Bought my First 964

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
As far as tightening up the shifter, is this a viable option?
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPa...hort-shift-kit

Mr. Wolfe
Curious about this too! I might have confused two things- but I felt that people had mentioned that the C4 transmission was as good as it was going to get?
I could be mixed up though!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Thanks Anthony. I know it will be a tight fit, but for some reason, pushing the limits a little gets me excited - I don't know why. I will take in consideration everything you are saying though and I really do appreciate the insight. You can never have too much.

As far as tightening up the shifter, is this a viable option?
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPa...hort-shift-kit

Mr. Wolfe
You have me on this. I pulled my C4 apart and vaguely recall the linkage setup before turning it into a C2. It would appear to work but not sure how the shifter works with the C4 shaft considering it can't be adjusted like the C2.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
You have me on this. I pulled my C4 apart and vaguely recall the linkage setup before turning it into a C2. It would appear to work but not sure how the shifter works with the C4 shaft considering it can't be adjusted like the C2.
Hopefully someone with more C4 experience can chime in.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I would check with FDM. The AWD 964 requires a ball on the one end that attaches to the drive shaft. So even if they have a golden rod you would only have one end with a metal to metal joint and the other would need the cup. Maybe they use a stiffer material. I know when I removed mine from my C2 at 60k miles the cups were shot causing slop.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 PM
toothfixer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the fdm short shift kit on my 90 c4. You have to "modify" the aluminum cover but hitting it with a hammer so that the new linkage doesn't rub against the cover. The throws are a little shorter now, and i can see how it would firm up the shifter feel if you replace the plastic cups as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Cool pic. Front bumper cover needs a respray.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-08-2018, 03:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Let us how the big-hipped girl drives, what's it like to finally own one (other than the balky shifting)... hope you're happy with it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Let us how the big-hipped girl drives, what's it like to finally own one (other than the balky shifting)... hope you're happy with it.
I am very happy with it. I have a 2006 competition package M3 so i guess I could compare it to that. I am just going to think out-loud so I will probably be a little all over the place. It is just a different experience all together. It feels more like a hotrod compared to the M3, but this particular M3 is a cream-puff (26k miles). It's has no where near the speed of the M3 (full CSL conversion, cams, full SuperSprint exhaust, etc. (over 400hp to crank), but that's not why I bought this car. I just love the overall analogue feel to the car. The M3 is no slouch suspension-wise, but the overall handling and feel of the 911 blows it out of the water. Initial turn-in and chassis rigidity is just superior. The 964 actually reminds me of a mutation of my M3 along with a Factory Five Roadster (cobra replica) that I built years ago. The 964 has a certain smell and sound that remind me of the FFR. It's no nonsense interior layout and minimalist approach is similar and one of my favorite parts. I like smaller cars and my e46M is about as big as I want to go. The 911 is smaller which is a bonus to me. The turbo brakes on my 911 are absolutely amazing. I have never felt brakes like this before, pure awesome. Aesthetically, I think both cars are absolutely STUNNING. 2 of my favorite designs in the past 30 years. That's all I got with my short ownership, but I can honestly say that this car is here to stay in my stable!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

That was fun to read, and now we know what you are comparing the car to. (the Bimmer sounds awesome!)
I've only had small hatchbacks (or no car) prior to the 964s, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Like many on this forum, it was a dream, finally realized.
No real prior 911 experience, just something I had to try. That said, I remember driving it home from the dealer thinking what the hell did I just buy?! Everything felt (looked and smelled) so unique and different.
Love small cars too.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool pic. Front bumper cover needs a respray.

Mr. Wolfe
Nice shot regardless

Congrats! It's a beauty and I'm subscribed
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
That was fun to read, and now we know what you are comparing the car to. (the Bimmer sounds awesome!)
I've only had small hatchbacks (or no car) prior to the 964s, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Like many on this forum, it was a dream, finally realized.
No real prior 911 experience, just something I had to try. That said, I remember driving it home from the dealer thinking what the hell did I just buy?! Everything felt (looked and smelled) so unique and different.
Love small cars too.
I absolutely can relate to the "what the hell did I just buy?" comment. Fortunately, I have no commute as I work from home, but I personally own 3 cars and they are not the most practical cars. My wife reminds me of this plenty. I have a V8 swapped e30 (87 BMW 325is) that is RWD, sucks in snow, and setup with summer tires. My M3 is RWD with 275 PS4S's on it so it won't even go in an inch of snow. lol Now, I have a caged 25 year old sports car. I told her, "hey, at least it's AWD!". lol

Originally Posted by DTMLGND
Nice shot regardless

Congrats! It's a beauty and I'm subscribed
Thanks!

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: Bought my First 964