Sponsored by:

Bought my First 964

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
... am thinking of either Autoflexing (peel-able paint) the car in either Purple or Miami Blue. Here are 2 examples of Autoflex paint in the colors I am contemplating.
Is this like Plastidip Performance Series Kits A level above "regular" Plastidip).
I just found my answer: https://jalopnik.com/this-removable-...n-u-1783482823

If it won't hurt your paint, give it a shot. How else are you going to drive around in a Purple widebody 964!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Is this like Plastidip Performance Series Kits A level above "regular" Plastidip).
I just found my answer: https://jalopnik.com/this-removable-...n-u-1783482823

If it won't hurt your paint, give it a shot. How else are you going to drive around in a Purple widebody 964!
Yes, you can actually sand and wax the clearcoat just like OEM. There are a few members on here that have used it. See if they can chime in. I would have never contemplated this type of paint until recently when this Autoflex came out to actually look like paint. May be a cool way to change your color every few years.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting wheel, i like the “concave cup 1” style
i wonder what those wheels look like witn a5 offset as needed with nb trailing arms
Old 11-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitezulu

Interesting wheel, i like the “concave cup 1” style
i wonder what those wheels look like witn a5 offset as needed with nb trailing arms
This is what I am actually contemplating. Basically, it would be a mix between the 2 cup wheels shown. It would have the concavity of the bronze, with the lip of the anthracite one. I am working with Rotiform to get the perfect offset for 18 x 12. It will still be close to an ET5 as that would add .5" to the inside and outside. I would be running a 305/30 tire most likely.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what I am actually contemplating. Basically, it would be a mix between the 2 cup wheels shown. It would have the concavity of the bronze, with the lip of the anthracite one. I am working with Rotiform to get the perfect offset for 18 x 12. It will still be close to an ET5 as that would add .5" to the inside and outside. I would be running a 305/30 tire most likely.

Mr. Wolfe
12 inches! That is impressive.
I have 11 inches and running a 17 mm spacer with 285/35 ( the 305/30 is marginally smaller in overall diameter) , i tried a 21mm spacer but i thought the tire was too far out.
you will probably need more negative camber to clear the fender.
i will instal the spring plates to be able to play with the camber.

i am really curious to see your set up.
i like that you are not choosing the normal path ( speedlines or bbs)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Justin Jin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4 widebody US-spec is a rare one, congratulations !
Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitezulu

12 inches! That is impressive.
I have 11 inches and running a 17 mm spacer with 285/35 ( the 305/30 is marginally smaller in overall diameter) , i tried a 21mm spacer but i thought the tire was too far out.
you will probably need more negative camber to clear the fender.
i will instal the spring plates to be able to play with the camber.

i am really curious to see your set up.
i like that you are not choosing the normal path ( speedlines or bbs)
Thank you for the information. Though I am by no means a purist, I do like to add my own flavor to a car. I like to push the envelope "slightly", but want to keep the character of the car and also want to be able to push the car. This setup will be my street setup, not track. I am glad that you are open-minded.

Originally Posted by Justin Jin
C4 widebody US-spec is a rare one, congratulations !
Thanks, I feel like I lucked into this one!

Mr. Wolfe

Old 11-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Quick question, easily my least favorite part of the car is the shifting. What are my best options on the C4? I want tight and mechanical. I will obviously search as well, but if you have input, feel free!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Mr. Wolfe
I would be careful with that especially if you plan to lower the car. I fit the factory 11ET 5 rear speedlines in the rear with a 305 slick it is a close enough fit. A street or R compound would probably rub. I will eventually rework my track wheels to 12's with 305's but i would add the inch to the inside barrel and if you want possibly use a 5mm spacer in the rear. Here is what the inside clearance looks like. The tire rubbing the trailing arm is the biggest issue.

From the outside just off the lift. Once I redo my exhaust it will be lower with a little clearance.

Quick question, easily my least favorite part of the car is the shifting. What are my best options on the C4? I want tight and mechanical. I will obviously search as well, but if you have input, feel free!

Mr. Wolfe
Did you inspect the bushings? It is possible they need replacement.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would be careful with that especially if you plan to lower the car. I fit the factory 11ET 5 rear speedlines in the rear with a 305 slick it is a close enough fit. A street or R compound would probably rub. I will eventually rework my track wheels to 12's with 305's but i would add the inch to the inside barrel and if you want possibly use a 5mm spacer in the rear. Here is what the inside clearance looks like. The tire rubbing the trailing arm is the biggest issue.

From the outside just off the lift. Once I redo my exhaust it will be lower with a little clearance.

Did you inspect the bushings? It is possible they need replacement.
Thanks for the pictures and write up. I will most certainly measure twice and cut once when ordering the wheels. Also remember that the 305 tire will have a little more "stretch" on the 12" wheel vs. 11" wheel which will give you more clearance. Appreciate the insight.

I have not inspected the bushing on the shifter. Overall though, I am just hoping I can get a nice notchy solution that feels like my e46M with Autosolutions shift kit. It is mechanical and precise. I hope I can replicate something similar as it really adds to the driving experience.

Man, I am really digging these Work Meisters with the matte bronze face and lip.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Wondering if an 18 x 12 et 10 would work. That would essentially add 18mm to the inside and 8mm to the outside of the standard 18 x 11 et 5.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Whee...et-Calculator#

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-05-2018, 10:20 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I am with Anthony and you have to be careful, personally I was conservative and chose 10.5J ET0. I went with a concave face which reduces the lip width, but I prefer that over a flat face and too much lip.

The only person I know who ran 12J rears is Frank (a.k.a. BLACK-BETTY), he also used 305 tires.
See pic below and here and in subsequent pages. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post12596650

Last edited by LPMM; 11-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
I am with Anthony and you have to be careful, personally I was conservative and chose 10.5J ET0. I went with a concave face which reduces the lip width, but I prefer that over a flat face and too much lip.

The only person I know who ran 12J rears is Frank (a.k.a. BLACK-BETTY), he also used 305 tires.
See pic below and here and in subsequent pages. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post12596650

Yes, Frank's car is amazing and one of my inspirations. His car proves that 18 x 12 can be done. Once I get my NB rear suspension components in, I will take detailed measurements to get the perfect offset.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Thanks for the pictures and write up. I will most certainly measure twice and cut once when ordering the wheels. Also remember that the 305 tire will have a little more "stretch" on the 12" wheel vs. 11" wheel which will give you more clearance. Appreciate the insight.

I have not inspected the bushing on the shifter. Overall though, I am just hoping I can get a nice notchy solution that feels like my e46M with Autosolutions shift kit. It is mechanical and precise. I hope I can replicate something similar as it really adds to the driving experience.

Man, I am really digging these Work Meisters with the matte bronze face and lip.

Mr. Wolfe
The pictures of the tires are slicks which don't have as massive a shoulder as street tires. I also run 295 H7's which are tighter than the 305 slicks and an MPS4 or similar would be even tighter with a more square shoulder. I would guesstimate a 305 MPS4 to actually run about 20mm wider than what I pictured due to their square shoulder so consider what tire you plan to run as well even with the added stretch.

Unfortunately being a C4 you have limited shifter options. AFAIK replacing the bushings might be all you can do and keep the stock look.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
The pictures of the tires are slicks which don't have as massive a shoulder as street tires. I also run 295 H7's which are tighter than the 305 slicks and an MPS4 or similar would be even tighter with a more square shoulder. I would guesstimate a 305 MPS4 to actually run about 20mm wider than what I pictured due to their square shoulder so consider what tire you plan to run as well even with the added stretch.

Unfortunately being a C4 you have limited shifter options. AFAIK replacing the bushings might be all you can do and keep the stock look.
Thanks Anthony. I know it will be a tight fit, but for some reason, pushing the limits a little gets me excited - I don't know why. I will take in consideration everything you are saying though and I really do appreciate the insight. You can never have too much.

As far as tightening up the shifter, is this a viable option?
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPa...hort-shift-kit

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: Bought my First 964