Sponsored by:

seat mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:44 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat mods?

The latest car that I'm checking out is fitted with Recaro SPGs. I fit, but barely (no pun, guaranteed! )

Since I can't really spend a lot of time in the seats (cuz I don't own the car), there's a chance that I won't be able to get comfortable. Now, before someone suggests a diet, please understand that the problem would have to do with the hip bones and the sort of stuff only drastic and life-altering surgery would change ---

So: to pick up an extra half inch or a bit more in a racing seat, can side padding be removed without compromising the support and functionality of the seat? Anybody tried this? TIA, J
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a diagram of the Speedseter seat which is very similar. It looks like there's some thin padding (parts 4 and 5) which fit under the cover (part 7). I have Recaros and there's some padding there but maybe 1/4" on each side. Hope that helps.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 09-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 AM
JoeW
Pro

Thanks, Joey. Yes, that is helpful. But with only a total of 1/2" or a smidge more to work with, I'd probably be better of to ebay the seats if I can't use them, then use the proceeds to help buy the XL or something.

Unless someone has another idea? J
Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat shell is the limiting factor - there isn't really enough padding in race seats at the sides to make a difference. If you're a tight fit, you would be compressing the foam to within a few mm of the sides anyway.

Most seat manufacturers do a wider fitting these days. I'd suggest getting a similarly styled new seat and ordering it from the factory with the trim to match the original.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think you'll find any way to get the extra room from the SPGs. The tight fit was why I just pulled the SPGs that came in my car and installed Pole Postions.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 PM
JoeW
Pro

Thanks, guys. Tom, how much extra room is there with the Pole Positions? Do you recall? Do you know of a good source/price for them? J
Old 01-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pole positions are about 1 inch wider. It feels like more than you would think. You can get exact dimensions from the Recaro web site. I bought them from Bob Brooks (RennTT). Check with Bob (a Rennlist Sponsor) on pricing. You may not have to pay the 8.x% tax I did (but then I didn't have to pay shipping).

I installed them yesterday along with my Rennline pedal set. I'm happy and, most importantly, my wife is happy with the fit. Now I won't have to prep the 993 for each autocross event as we can share the 964.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 PM
JoeW
Pro

I'll be in touch with RennTeam. Thanks. Like all of us, the seat is only as comfortable as the person sitting next to us! J

Edit: Tom, I checked the sponsor list and don't see RennTT. Can you give me a link? Thankx, J

Last edited by JoeW; 01-27-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
ian c - u.k

www.motordrive.com
these guys make top seats , various widths off the shelf , or can do a custom moulding .
based in uk though !!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I just got the recaro pole positions too.. ( also from RennTT motorsports ). I'll have them installed this week, hopefully!

Even though I can fit in SPG's, I opted for the wider seat so that I can actually drive my car to track events in more comfort.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 PM
JoeW
Pro

Still can't find RennTT. Feeling a bit stupid, but it's usually justified --- Can one of you please give those of us who are a bit challenged a link? Thankee. J
Old 01-27-2004, 10:41 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by ian c - u.k
www.motordrive.com
these guys make top seats , various widths off the shelf , or can do a custom moulding .
based in uk though !!
VERY interesting! Thanks, Ian. I think I'll ask them what it takes to ship to US. Are they fairly lightweight? Is the quality up to that of the (US) name brands, do you know? J
Old 01-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JoeW
Still can't find RennTT. Feeling a bit stupid, but it's usually justified --- Can one of you please give those of us who are a bit challenged a link? Thankee. J
Hey Joe - If I'm not mistaken RennTT is Viperbob (aka Bob Brooks or bob@rentt.com) if you go to the 993 board you'll find he is one of the most regular and helpful contributors and he has a business supplying parts (I've no affiliation or connection, but he has been helpful and responsive to my enquiries).
Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
ian c - u.k

they used to supply all the top uk based rally teams , lost touch in the last few years , so i dont know who they supply these days .

please bear in mind that the last time i looked , all the top wrc teams where based in the uk , as are f1 teams etc.

so quality won't be an issue !!
likewise weight !!!

please don't take my { out-dated ) word for it though !!

if , when you have done your research , you decide to go with these , let me know if there is any problem with shipping to usa .
if needs be i can buy them as a uk customer , and send them over to you
Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe, as was pointed out, RennTT is Bob Brooks (viperbob). He does not have his web site up and running yet, so you will not find a link to a site.

He has very good pricing and those of us in SF can spend a Saturday or Sunday at Bob's house installing the stuff we buy and socializing. 'Old Guy' even drove his 993tt up from LA for some fun and enhancement.

Quick Reply: seat mods?