Sponsored by:

Project Rest-volution gets a new home and a name...Gisele

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Project Rest-volution gets a new home and a name...Gisele

I decided to start a new thread as while the previous thread has documented what has been a very slow moving project, it also brings with it the baggage and memories of the trials and tribulations associated with the last 4 years and 8 months that this project has not been completed. I moved the project from the old shop to a new shop and am happy to report that progress has resumed and I may actually have Gisele by the end of the year. Why Gisele some may ask...what else are you going to name a curvy German who is rooted in the Amazon (Green)

For those who may want to catch up...the thread is below...
PROJECT REST-VOLUTION THREAD

While I won't comment publicly, I am happy to share my experiences regarding the previous shop. Regarding the new shop working on my car, I am excited and happy to see the progress being made and hope to add photos here shortly. Most of the work done to date was going through the car, to address issues on how the project was delivered and chasing down all the parts. I give the new shop a lot of credit for taking on the project in the state it was as it is never easy to pick up someone else's work, but it is compounded when that work is a disassembled vehicle that becomes a puzzle to try and identify you have all the proper pieces.

While I am beginning this new thread, I want to thank all those that have contributed to this project so far as they all helped bring the project to fruition years ago and have been awaiting this to move forward.

Steve Weiner - Rennsport Systems - Steve not only is a source of tremendous knowledge on the forums, he also is an incredible gentleman. When I started this project almost 5 years ago, I had already brought my car the the previous shop, but asked him who he would suggest to work on the motor when it became clear the shop I had brought the car to may not be up to the task as I saw the build. I told Steve that I wanted to keep it in Southern California as I thought it too expensive to send to him...While I now realize that my motor would have been in good hands with him...he told me whom he would trust down here with his motor.
Tom Chan and team at DSCSport - Tom worked with me to develop a 964/993 Active suspension set-up for this car...While I had hoped to showcase the system on my car, I am happy that there have been a number of people whom have benefited from DSC's work and are running the system.
Dan Pye and team at Augment Wheels - I wanted to come up with a unique wheel that captured the classic Porsche look from the 60's with a modern design ethos. A wheel that captured the spirit of the early 911s where they could be elegant and classic during the week and then the weekend allowed for racing. The classic look of the hubcap and steel wheel is the design we started from and Augment Wheel even found a way to attach the hubcaps without tabs.
Jae Lee @ Mirage Intl. - Jae Lee took the literal heart of this project, the motor and built a monster on paper. That wasn't the spec though...we set off to take the factory motor, and add some displacement, upgrade the internals and make it as bulletproof as the factory motor. Not only did Jae accomplish this, he also entertained my whim to keep everything running factory Motronic, while adding seemingly random components at the 11th hour of the build. Currently, we have built a 3.8 RS vario-rammed motor awaiting to go in the car.
Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport Racing - Jeff, while inundated with his own very busy schedule and workload, took the time to work through with me the items needed to complete the 993 RS varioram intake I had purchased...not only did he go over all the requisite parts, but he made sure that I understood the harness situation and helped source the correct items for that as well.
Randall Aase at AASSCO - Randall let us use his Engine dyno twice to benchmark the motor...along with that, he also lent his expertise to dial the most out of the motor while it was being rung out.
Steve Wong - A man that also needs no introduction...Steve took the time to tune my motor while it sat on an Engine Dyno, only for me to decide I wanted to VarioRam it...He went above and beyond working with Jae and Randall to get the most out of the motor Jae built.
Tom, Mark, Chris, Matt and the rest at Makellos - Tom & Mark discussed with me the possibility of assuming Gisele and helping her get put back together, stronger faster, better than new. We are just beginning this journey, however their expertise, attention to detail and willingness to take on this project is a testament to their abilities.

This is a running list and while not complete by any means...serves as my appreciation for helping me bring together the delayed vision of what for me would be the culmination of the perfect Porsche. I will continue to add all who helped bring Gisele to fruition.

I know threads are useless without photos...they will be added shortly.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

VERY COOL!!!!!

I was following the old thread, can't wait to see photos.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Glad your project is back on track again. Looking forward to seeing your vision come to life. Lots of good people and parts involved.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problems and delays with your old builder but I am glad to see you posting with some updates. Loved following along in your old thread, looking forward to some updates!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Thanks all,

Here are a couple of photos until I can get up there for more detailed shots.... It has been a long stalled project, but it is nice to see it moving again. While most of the cats have jumped from the bag...I hope to keep a couple surprises for the completion of the car.

Last edited by Nylasurf; 10-24-2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Including photos
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

Wheels turned out really good. I can understand if you've commissioned them in a way that makes the exclusive to your car but still have to ask if you think they would be available in the future?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Jeff,
While I commissioned them, I am sure Dan Will have no problem cutting another set as the design work is already done. Thank you for the compliment...they may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like them. I would be happy to see Dan put more out there if people wanted them
Old 10-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think the wheels look great and if they offer weight savings that makes them even more attractive.

Your Targa is coming along very nicely and I can’t wait to see it finished!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I think the wheels look great and if they offer weight savings that makes them even more attractive.

Your Targa is coming along very nicely and I can’t wait to see it finished!
The wheels (1 piece forged monoblock) when I weighed them on my scale at home(not the most accurate) 17x8 (18.9 lbs.) and 17x10 (22.7 lbs) sans hubcaps. I will get the weights from Dan officially if he has them.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Progress continues...it's been a while since I've posted. More heartbreaking is that I am now relocated back to the East Coast (Wash.DC) and can no drop in and see Gisele grow into the beauty she is destined to become. A few more set backs along the way...

The person working on my bespoke BiLED headlights has ceased communication and absconded with all of the parts I've sent as well as the sizable deposit, so I am now looking at a more expedited solution. When I started the headlights, there weren't any solutions, now there are a few solutions that are pretty nice.

On the positive side, the transmission has been rebuilt and is ready to be married with the monster that Jae Lee built and Steve Wong tuned.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Also magic has been worked on my gauges...the team at Car-bone.pl designed and manufactured the gauge faces and the team at Hollywood Speedometer remanufactured and sourced a solution for the needles and caps. Can't wait to see these installed...
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really lovely. Out of curiosity on the gauges - I gave up trying to have a color-matched set given all the advice I received about the light pipes not working well in any of the aftermarket solutions. Have you looked at the lighting yet?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Originally Posted by pitts12driver
really lovely. Out of curiosity on the gauges - I gave up trying to have a color-matched set given all the advice I received about the light pipes not working well in any of the aftermarket solutions. Have you looked at the lighting yet?
Pitts12driver - I haven't seen them yet on person. I raised the very issue with Carbone prior to the gauges being developed...they test each gauge prior to finishing them. Hollywood Speedometer told me they also bench tested them and said they look good with no bleed over and pretty uniform lighting. Hollywood said that they have been pretty impressed with the quality and may order from Carbone in the future.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Those gauges are beautiful, you will definitely need to post up some pictures in daylight and when they're lit up at night.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

the details here are amazing - what a build... bravo @Nylasurf for leaving no stone unturned.

Quick Reply: Project Rest-volution gets a new home and a name...Gisele