Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Cooler now

Old 10-09-2018, 11:38 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if you've seen this older thread on the subject that has more information about the rear flappers:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lap-boxes.html

See especially posts 14, 15 and 21
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Great thread, thanks. As my Indy explained it, if all is well with the heater servo motors the heat either dumps out the flapper valves to under the car (heat off) or due to what they call "differential pressure" (heat on) the flapper valve stays closed and hot air continues up the rockers (inside a tube) to the footwells up the PITA hose to the HVAC distribution box under the hood.

Both flapper valves seemed to be operating fine. I’m guessing there’s an issue with the heater servo motors and there’s no “differential pressure”. Blazing hot in the car when this goes bad.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I suffenly notices that that heat is pouring into the car from the rear. The left driver side door sill was cooking, and so was I. And there’s heat pouring through the right side by the vent under the rear side window. Not a fun ride home.
Are the equalization valves still open like in this photo of your 964?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Are the equalization valves still open like in this photo of your 964?
If you're referring to the gaping vent holes under the rear side window, yes Sir. Is it possible that's confusing the pressure, or are my servos just stuck?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-10-2018, 01:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
If you're referring to the gaping vent holes under the rear side window, yes Sir. Is it possible that's confusing the pressure
That there is your problem. Do you have two of these floating around somewhere?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
That there is your problem. Do you have two of these floating around somewhere?

i have four of these. Two from the 964, and two from my 993 when I did the RS carpet. I covered the holes with MLV and it’s never been an issue in the 993.

When it gets colder next month I will pull a pair out of the basement and see if it corrects the problem. Thanks for the diagnosis Jason!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 AM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't fully understand how these vents can affect the HVAC. I thought to understand that the HVAC system is essentially a closed system from back to front and due to it being a closed system it is possible to cause the differential pressure change, causing the exhaust flapper boxes to operate and so on.

I thought these internal vents were just there to stop it being so difficult to close the door when the windows are closed. I presumed that the older Beetles did not have this type of vent and it is therefore so difficult to slam the old Beetle doors
Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm unsure as well. I removed mine when I put the rs carpet in. I have no problems at all. Although they are covered in the carpet. I know you guys have way more knowledge than me but i thought they were to help when closing the doors too?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 AM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thing I read here was they have a tendency to melt if there is a problem with the 'flow' of the HVAC system. I mean the plastic of the insert in the picture by JasonAndreas melts.
What exactly is at the bottom / outside of this vent? Is the exhaust right there? I guess my question is, where does the vent vent to?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FoxMan
I suddenly noticed that that heat is pouring into the car from the rear. The left driver side door sill was cooking, and so was I. And there’s heat pouring through the right side by the vent under the rear side window. Not a fun ride home.
Originally Posted by MaKSiNG
I still don't fully understand how these vents can affect the HVAC.
Originally Posted by Dingo
Although they are covered in the carpet.
Foxman has heat entering the passenger compartment from the rear of the compartment, those openings (that are normally closed) are the only place for it to do so. There may very well be another issue up front.

Originally Posted by MakSiNG
I guess my question is, where does the vent vent to?
I'll have one open this week and I can shove a borescope through the system from front to back. The aluminum tubing in the chassis rails is perforated so its a little difficult in the rear.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:38 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

The rear flap vents are for letting air out of the cabin. All cars have such vents.

The rubber flaps open when sufficient air pressure is made in the cabin by either the two main blowers or the fresh air intake under the windscreen.
An open or missing rear vent will not affect HVAC operation at all, unless there's an air leak from the heat hose in the vicinity that forces heated air in through these openings.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Any concerns about mice getting in if you leave the hoses off?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by MaKSiNG
Quick update.

Number 3) above.
I decided to take another look at the cardboard hose in the passenger footwell because it is in bad shape and I wanted to make sure since this seems to be the only ? in the system. Well upon reinstalling it (second time now) it did indeed rip a hole in it
So now I definitely have a problem. It sorted the dilemma of to change or not to change though. So I will be replacing this and report back for, hopefully, sake of closure.

One question for the expert though:
Am I buying the left or the right hose? From which perspective is this? From the front of the car looking towards the back or from the perspective of the driver?

Many thanks!
I just replaced that darn hose and its a pain in the butt to put in!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
I just replaced that darn hose and its a pain in the butt to put in!
Completely agree! https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post15248086

Quick Reply: Footwell Heat / Hot Sill Again