Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Jacking points - or not?

Old 01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Missing Jacking points - or not?

Sorry for the odd thread title - I am confused....
The car had some suspension work at JZM last month and they pointed out that the jacking plates were missing on both sides. I've owned the car a month or so and have yet to use the jack and just added this to the list of things to do. Earlier this week I was at an official Porsche bodyshop (pricing replacing the rear screen seal) and asked them to quote for the jacking plates too. The technician, who admittedly seemed to be doing everything possible to get me to find another bodyshop, asked me why I wanted to replace them as they were fine. When I relayed my conversation with JZM he suggested I get more info from them as they could see more when the car was on a hoist, but they looked OK to him.

With apologies for the poor quality shot, can anyone tell me if I need jacking plates?

Thanks for your help,
David
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
Does not appear to look any different than what is under my car, and I just took mine off the jacks after having been on for about 1 month.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Midili; 01-16-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

David,
I just replaced mine and I would say by looking at your picture that your plate is intact.

Harpreet

PS If it were missing like mine you would not see the metal plate with the hole in the middle for your jack.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I can only guess JZM confused my car with someone else's. They had made so many calls advising me what was wrong with my suspension maybe my number was burnt in when it finally came to calling someone else
Old 01-16-2004, 10:01 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Harpreet,
Tell me more about changing out the jack point....
David's picture is a photo of his forward jack point, correct? Well, mine are missing from both sides, just behind the front wheels. Could you supply me the part number? What are they attached with? I couldn't find this part on the PET CD for the life of me.
I've been jacking the car by the rear points, and /or using ramps, but it's time to fix the forward jack points.
Thanks, Kevin
Old 01-17-2004, 04:40 AM
HSB
Instructor

Hi Kevin,
If you had asked me a week ago I could have given you the part no. for the driver side. I ordered the part from the local dealer( $98.00) and the took it in to a local muffler shop that does custom work. He had it welded in and rocker panel back on within an hour, The part looks like a small box with a hole in the bottom. The welder enlarged one of the holes to improve the bond. Remember thes are only tack welded in and can be ripped out by
using them as tie down ponts for towing. Also remember to take some paint or udercoating to the shop if you have someone other than a body shop do the work. You woud hate to have the rust bug start on your welds. Good Luck Harpreet (90C4 Cab)

PS the jacking point appears to be the passenger front. By the way the parts guy at the dealer had a hard time finding the part no.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:40 AM
HSB
Instructor

Hi Kevin,
If you had asked me a week ago I could have given you the part no. for the driver side. I ordered the part from the local dealer( $98.00) and the took it in to a local muffler shop that does custom work. He had it welded in and rocker panel back on within an hour, The part looks like a small box with a hole in the bottom. The welder enlarged one of the holes to improve the bond. Remember thes are only tack welded in and can be ripped out by
using them as tie down ponts for towing. Also remember to take some paint or udercoating to the shop if you have someone other than a body shop do the work. You woud hate to have the rust bug start on your welds. Good Luck Harpreet (90C4 Cab)

PS the jacking point appears to be the passenger front. By the way the parts guy at the dealer had a hard time finding the part no.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:48 AM
HSB
Instructor

Hi Kevin, Sorry about the typos . If you look back a couple of pages there is a thread entitled Replacing the jacking plate. One of the respondents gave the following part no. for a right sided jacking plate 964501297000grv. Hope this helps. Harpreet
Old 01-17-2004, 07:54 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

The other side is 964 501 298 000 grv. On PET they're under Body, interior panelling front, jack support. I don't think the GRV bit is listed, but it comes up when you do a part number search.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:38 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Kevin
Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack spot

Hey,

Here is mine...... please compare.

Looks the same to me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Oeps.......... rear spot sorry..............
Old 01-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Red face Jack spot, the right one

Here it is, the one you where looking for..............
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 04:02 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

> Jack spot, the right one

OK, you only had me panicking a minute there

Thanks Arjan, they're pretty close and I guess any differences are likely to be between '89 and '92 models.

I asked the local dealer to order me a pair and they are in stock - if he won't take them back I'll have a pair of my own to compare to and sell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing Jacking points - or not?