AC Suitcase Stuck/Blower Motor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:22 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I dread the day on this one :-)
Seriously you have no idea how much of a pain this has been. I’ve been working on cars a long time and this is in my top 5 most annoying jobs, possibly number 1.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
I dont "think" there are any issues with them? Its a cabrio so I would only use the heat in the winter and the AC never worked so I just put the top down in the summer. There is a weird residue on the passenger side where the squirrel cage sits. There is a white residue in the suitcase, looks like maybe the car sat for a while and water got it, then evaporated over time? It just wiped out. My main issues right now are wondering if the picture in the previous post is a broken screw or a metal stud, and what bandaid company to invest in due to all the cuts/nicks in hands from taking this apart.
I'd definitely bench test them on a 12v lead to ensure they're working right, since you're putting so much effort into it.

Also, would it be possible if you could measure the diameter, thickness, and backspacing for one of the fan cages? I need to replace one of mine (bungled removing it) and am trying to find one from another car that's close enough.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:24 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deserion
I'd definitely bench test them on a 12v lead to ensure they're working right, since you're putting so much effort into it.

Also, would it be possible if you could measure the diameter, thickness, and backspacing for one of the fan cages? I need to replace one of mine (bungled removing it) and am trying to find one from another car that's close enough.
What thickness do you need? They blew air before when i turned the fans on. No codes in the CCU for the fans, only for the small fan on the back of the CCU itself and I have a replacement one in the garage somewhere.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

What thickness do you need?
The front-to-back measurement. I'm thinking a cage from a BMW E46 may be close.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Seriously you have no idea how much of a pain this has been. I’ve been working on cars a long time and this is in my top 5 most annoying jobs, possibly number 1.
It's tedious, admittedly, but there is certainly worse!
Just lots of steps.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

My frunk is super dirty. 25 years I’d Dirt, dust, refrigerant oil etc. Would simple green work to clean it up and not damage the paint to bad? Any other ideas?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I use the simple green Motorsports cleaner you can get it at pep boys. Purple bottle. I swear it’s just repackaged aerospace cleaner. Safe for raw aluminum, painted surfaces, etc.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:35 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

double post
Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Is this what’s left of a rusty screw? Or a metal stud?

So I never received an answer on that stud/broken screw. Is that a stud that's located in the deep hole next to the fresh air inlet? Its deep down in the hole and has rust.corrosion and I cant make heads or tails of it. I posted a pic of part sticking out of the lower half. I tried to pop the would be head from the back but didnt want to put too much pressure on it and break something. I have all the parts here to put it back together and want to move forward. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe it's a screw. Mine was corroded like that too. I drilled it out and used JB Weld to repair and installed a new screw at reassembly. I believe water intrusion from the cowl vent can gather here and corrodes the screw over the last couple decades.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
I believe it's a screw. Mine was corroded like that too. I drilled it out and used JB Weld to repair and installed a new screw at reassembly. I believe water intrusion from the cowl vent can gather here and corrodes the screw over the last couple decades.
OK cool. Ill try to unscrew the one in the lower half with vice grips and drill the one on top out. I picked up some stainless steel screws at the hardware store and plan on replacing the corroded fasteners with those. They don't have torx heads but whatever. I'm going to start putting it all back together over the new few days I have off for the 4th of July. Shouldn't be too bad now that everything is cleaned up. Thanks
Old 07-06-2018, 06:07 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@mystert, don't forget to put the motor screws back before installing the suitcase and everything else. I had 4 screws left when I buttoned up my project, and then it occurred to me where the screws are meant to go.... ack. Fortunately doing it while the suitcase is is out is much simpler than what I had to do...
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Where do you oil on the blower motors? What type of oil do you use? PB Blaster and WD40 smell a bit too funky to use.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Eric, some have said to use motor oil or something of that sort. PB or WD wouldn’t last in there at all. Each end cap bearing is where the oil should go, I believe.

Might be a proactive choice in replacing them if they’re seeming questionable. I did this by just getting the motors without cages.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

They work fine, just want to be proactive in servicing them as much as i can. I need to get the car back on the road and dont have the budget for the parts this month. I decided to put an TRD exhaust and safari snorkel on my Tacoma, I need to stop looking at craigslist.......

Quick Reply: AC Suitcase Stuck/Blower Motor Wiring