1991 cab top controller module

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 AM
phatnine11
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 cab top controller module

So the fun begins!
I have a 1991 C2 cab that the top decided to stop working while I was opening it. Per the owners manual, I was able to follow the procedure to lower the car and get home. have read that my first order of business is to remove the control module and check for cold solder joints. If I read posts and threads on this issue is The module is located next to where my left leg would be, but I'm not sure if from the driver's side or passenger side. I also read that taking the seat will save my back and also lower the frustration level. I'm just starting down this path and I believe if I can get the module to respond (it's seems to have no power at the switch) the next big task will be to remove the back cover to access the cab motor so I can verify the cabling and alignment of both cab top mechanisms. Any advice would be great!
Phatnine11
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

Solder faults are very common on the cabrio control unit. The thick connector pins vibrates, and causes the solder to fail.
The unit is mounted along (stacked) with the Central Informer Unit to the dashboard underside. The easiest access is to pull out the oil temp/pressure instrument (or was it the tank level/oil instrument?) to gain access to the two plastic mounting nuts.
The instruments are easily pulled out, and greatly simplifies control unit removal.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 PM
phatnine11
Track Day

Update!
So I spent the afternoon pulling the driver's seat, found one stripped seatbolt that I ended up using my Dremel on and was then able to access the control module. At this point I pulled the back cover off the control module and I did find what looked like cold solder joints. Using a low temp soldering iron, I was able to touch up the connectors where the four cable connect to. Hooked everything back up, turn on the ignition key, hit the switch for the top and it's dead as a door nail. I had checked the fuses and found no problems. I was hoping to find a relay that I could reset in the fusebox, but none are designated as cabrio relays. At this point, I'm lost as far as the next step. Does anyone have a pinout of the 4 cables going into the control module so I can check for power there.
Again, any help would be great!
Phatnine11
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just use my top manually. its actually faster.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

I do not understand why you have accessed a module under the seat? What is the part number printed on this module?
The cabrio control module mounted under the dashboard, and looks like this.
Cheers,
Tore

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...em-solved.html
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM
phatnine11
Track Day

ToreB,
The only way I was going to get my 61 year old, over weight body under the dashboard was by removing the driver's seat. I guess my next step will be to remove the cab switch located next to the mirror directional switch and check for power there. To Norse man, the top on my car is dead. How do you work the front latches?
Phatnine11
Old 06-16-2018, 05:04 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by phatnine11
ToreB,
the top on my car is dead. How do you work the front latches?
Phatnine11
With a screwdriver thro' the oval trims - fiddly but doable.

Quick Reply: 1991 cab top controller module