Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?

I've been after a C2 for a while - but I can across this C4 the other day....There are some negatives but the things I like about it are ROW - no sunroof, cruise or airbags, silver and it's in my state. I've negotiated a little off the price in the eBay ad - that said, I'm curious on your guys opinions. I'd really like a C2 and at this price, I could likely find one, so is the interesting factor of being a ROW car worth the extra money on a C4? (although, I've seen C4s going up in price lately, too).

Bad things:
Mileage not well documented (when it was imported in 2015, it was 107k km)
Undercoating ALL over it.

eBay Ad (not a very detailed listing, which is likely at least one of the reasons it's still listed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsch...d544%7Ciid%3A1

Many more pictures on their website:
http://www.theautorepairlady.com/car...0-porsche-911/

Also found the original listing from when the car was imported. Note: seller used some of these pictures in their listing.
Facebook Post

I don't mind some wrenching and converting to C2 isn't out of the question.

Car currently at Gulf Performance for PPI.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The lack of mileage documentation will most likely impact the value of the car in the event you ever do go to sell it. However, if the PPI checks out and it has good compression/leak down numbers (which would be expected after engine rebuild) than I personally wouldn't be deterred by the mileage alone.

The ROW is definitely more desirable and usually adds thousands to the value of the car, but the other negatives such as undercoating everywhere would likely net out any advantages to the benefits of this car being an ROW.

You said that you negotiated a little off the car's price so for arguments sake we'll assume the price is $53,000. At this price you should be able to find a solid US spec C4 but you would be very hard-pressed to find a good condition C2 (it's possible, but any C2 coupe around $50k is sure to be sold almost instantly). If you do track days I would consider this car due to the weight savings, but if you primarily use it on the street then I would keep looking.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lovely color combination, love the bagless wheel and no sunroof. That makes the car worth more IMO, and I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage issue. Though if you're considering converting to C2, you might as well find one from the get go. Conversions are pricey, its not just removing the driveshaft.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deadendd9009
Lovely color combination, love the bagless wheel and no sunroof. That makes the car worth more IMO, and I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage issue. Though if you're considering converting to C2, you might as well find one from the get go. Conversions are pricey, its not just removing the driveshaft.

Good luck!
I'm not worried about mileage for my ownership - I just prefer to not be locked into a car, in the event I want to move to something else - and I realize that some of these factors "could" hurt future desirability. There's a good chance I'll track it...and besides the weight savings of not having a sunroof, I just simply like having something different...so I'll give it a few points there

I do my own wrenching - not much scares me...It's a blessing and a curse . If the PPI checks out, I'll likely drive the car as-is with some minor upgrades. If a time comes when I want to dive in deeper, changing to C2 would be an option and since I do most of my own work, hopefully not a horribly expensive one.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

PPI came back - it needs some stuff. Probably about $5k of misc maintenance - mostly rubber bits...nothing important, just things like brake lines.. It's had some paint work - likely pre-import, so we will never get the story on that. Overall, it's the car I wanted but I would have liked to spend a lot less money. I'll need to do some work to bring it around, but I'm OK with that. I like the differences the ROW brings - just as a conversation piece. I do like the unique interior color but honestly, I'm uncertain how long that will remain (the interior)

I've already started looking for parts. RSA Tail is on my list - but probably most importantly...the owner put some coilovers on it and even with them adjusted all the way down, it sits really high. Not sure what direction I'll go there.

Picking up Thursday.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:01 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Regarding the RSA tail, send a PM to Smokey7766, he had one for sale no too long ago. As for the shocks/springs, it appears it has Bilstein B6 but with the stock springs, hence the 4x4 stance. You can get the FVD drop collars or shorter springs.

Some interior inspiration https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post12080678
Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Laurent. Great interior thread, too! Like the one you linked to in the same color.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Cool,color combo
sunroof delete huge plus.
C4 well added complication and weight but when it’s working proper it’s a great system
recent engine rebuild assuming proper is a 20k+ advantage. Surprised so many rubber bits need addressing?
main thing is just going in with open mind and informed. A good PPI is invaluable.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a silver 964. I think it looks a lot better without the window tint. Imho
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Cool,color combo
sunroof delete huge plus.
C4 well added complication and weight but when it’s working proper it’s a great system
recent engine rebuild assuming proper is a 20k+ advantage. Surprised so many rubber bits need addressing?
main thing is just going in with open mind and informed. A good PPI is invaluable.
Yeah - needs brake lines. Front CV boots are cracking but not failed....still waiting for the written report. I wonder if this was a victim of ozone... I've read that people that have refrigerators in their garages have some problems with rubber, especially on older cars. The electrical contacts create ozone with is hard on it.

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I have a silver 964. I think it looks a lot better without the window tint. Imho
I agree. I've started to prefer cars with no tint - but will consider that clear UV protect tint that a few companies offer.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I have thought of getting a clear heat reduction film. Supposed to block 40% heat. Tennessee summers are awful and my ac doesn’t work that great
Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought of getting a clear heat reduction film. Supposed to block 40% heat. Tennessee summers are awful and my ac doesn’t work that great
I thought TN summers were hot, till I moved to Texas. Your A/C should keep up and remain comfortable if fully working. Mine was retrofitted with R134a, and does well. Might be worth investigating the system first.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm seriously considering this too...... was quoted $500 for all windows including the windshield.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

My squirrel cages were rattling.. This is sfter the PO had it changed over and new squirrel cages put in ( $3000 later!) so my mechanic went back in and took care of the rattle but it has never been cold since.( another 2500$! Gulp!)
now im wishing i had bought that new $3000 after market ac for older Porsches kit.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Most importantly, blocks UV.

Quick Reply: Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?