Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
Do you already have this car for sale?
yup its for sale already, saw it this afternoon on Facebook, was surprised lol, but with those miles and the condition of that car i doubt it will sell for anywhere near what he is asking. I inquired about that car last week and passed. $90,000 bit optimistic.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 278 Posts

I floated it out there. Here's what I just told Tarek when he asked.

Where I'm at now - just got it yesterday and like I said, I didn't initially "feel it"... I'm contemplating registering the car and paying the taxes and sitting on it for a bit, which honestly, will leave me a little strapped.
While I didn't buy it to flip - here's my perspective... I've bought and sold a number of cars in this hobby...almost always losing my @$$ every time. I'm not going to complain if I make a few bucks on this one to help make up for all the other ones I've taken a beating on - so I'm still thinking about what to sell it for.
Sorry, copy/paste is jacking it up. I just put a number on it to avoid tire kickers - if someone is seriously interested, I doubt that will stop them from reaching out.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

This must be the longest PPI thread in a while, that ended up with a completely different buy and now that's being flipped. I don't get it. Not that there's anything wrong with flipping but I wonder how many people would invest time to help with a buy question knowing the end result.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:41 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
and the condition of that car
That implies that it's in horrible or even bad condition when you haven't seen the car; I have it in front of me but to be fair, it's not perfect, if that's what you meant..I drove it 3 hours home - no problems (window switches were sticky and left me with a window half down, which also might be why I thought the AC wasn't cooling - AC is cold now), no sounds, no lights, no vibrations, cruised at 90-100 a couple of times when traffic allowed - not one issue. While I haven't had a PPI done (just compression and quick overview), I can attest that it's in what I would consider after too many years of cars in general as a nice "driver plus" condition. Honestly, I kinda rolled the dice on it since I was already considering this C4 ^^ and some aspects of it are nicer than I expected while only a couple little "mehs" so far....goes to those 138k miles that you mentioned and almost 25 years. Getting the wheels off it in a bit to do some deeper inspection.

Please let's not turn this into a "let's roast the car flipper" thread. I'm 100% open on this about the mixed emotions about a 964 after having this for a quick trip. I've spent an inordinate amount of time on here, google, youtube...looking at videos, pics, other people's projects... I wish the car hit me a little harder in the feels, really.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

u
Originally Posted by John McM
This must be the longest PPI thread in a while, that ended up with a completely different buy and now that's being flipped. I don't get it. Not that there's anything wrong with flipping but I wonder how many people would invest time to help with a buy question knowing the end result.
I know you posted this before I finished my last post...so I just want to clear it up again.

I also bugged a local friend of mine who owns a nice 964, to no end about the cars I kept finding and wanting to buy...I still haven't called him to tell him that it's not agreeing with me, as I think he was as excited as I was about me getting an RSA... I appreciate you guys taking the time to talk shop on these cars. I'm a car nut all the way and certainly wouldn't ask everyone to spend their time and then "BOYAAAA!! I was a car flipper!" - that's just not me. I didn't buy an expensive classic Porsche with the hopes that it just wouldn't be my cup of tea, I assure you.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll do..again, just being honest. I have 3 cars now, I can only keep 2 - as of now, the RSA is on the hit list.

If you guys met me, you'd know my excitement of finding a model car that I want, the research and eagerness to jump on-board is maybe a little overboard...just the irrational car nut in me.

Thank you again.

Last edited by jeff33702; 05-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry it didn’t grab you. Every time I drive mine it puts a smile on my face. Love the sounds and the smells, wanted one for years.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
u

I know you posted this before I finished my last post...so I just want to clear it up again.

I also bugged a local friend of mine who owns a nice 964, to no end about the cars I kept finding and wanting to buy...I still haven't called him to tell him that it's not agreeing with me, as I think he was as excited as I was about me getting an RSA... I appreciate you guys taking the time to talk shop on these cars. I'm a car nut all the way and certainly wouldn't ask everyone to spend their time and then "BOYAAAA!! I was a car flipper!" - that's just not me. I didn't buy an expensive classic Porsche with the hopes that it just wouldn't be my cup of tea, I assure you.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll do..again, just being honest. I have 3 cars now, I can only keep 2 - as of now, the RSA is on the hit list.

If you guys met me, you'd know my excitement of finding a model car that I want, the research and eagerness to jump on-board is maybe a little overboard...just the irrational car nut in me.

Thank you again.
I'm probably being a bit harsh, sorry, but I'm a 964 fan boy from way back before they were on trend. I think you either get older cars or you don't and plenty don't. Even when you do get it, it takes a while to work out why. I've been through various P cars and the 964 is the one left sitting in my garage. No logic to it, I just love it. GLWS.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't like it, please, sell it. And then, in ten or fifteen years, look at it's value and the value of those other cars in your garage.....

That day will come.... : )
Old 05-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Sounds like a serious case of buyers remorse!

You mentioned your friend has a 964, did you by chance drive his/hers before buying the RSA? Not that I should be making any suggestions as my drive in a 964 was literally for about 5 minutes about 10 years ago!.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super90
If you don't like it, please, sell it. And then, in ten or fifteen years, look at it's value and the value of those other cars in your garage.....

That day will come.... : )
Man...I know. I've thought about that. Not to overshare but I work a normal job and spend way too much of my money on cars when I should be stashing it away....so I wish I had the luxury of just keeping this or that - but I don't ;(
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Only judging by what you've said & what you own now, it sounds like an older car is not a right fit for you. If you've got the itch for a Porsche, maybe you'd be happier with a newer 911.
Having said that, if you can swing it, hang on to it for a bit & give it a chance, you might come around.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Sounds like a serious case of buyers remorse!

You mentioned your friend has a 964, did you by chance drive his/hers before buying the RSA? Not that I should be making any suggestions as my drive in a 964 was literally for about 5 minutes about 10 years ago!.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
He mentioned that I could drive it a while back when I initially started hunting 964s - but I didn't push it. I'm really funny about driving other enthusiasts cars.
Related to this - I'm going to have the same friend drive this car - perhaps I'm leaving some power on the table - it could help change my mind if that's the case and there's a simple fix.

Originally Posted by gavonder
Only judging by what you've said & what you own now, it sounds like an older car is not a right fit for you. If you've got the itch for a Porsche, maybe you'd be happier with a newer 911.
Having said that, if you can swing it, hang on to it for a bit & give it a chance, you might come around.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Thanks. Yeah, I had thought I could replace one in my stable with an older "classy" sportscar...maybe just not my thing.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:57 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm probably being a bit harsh, sorry, but I'm a 964 fan boy from way back before they were on trend. I think you either get older cars or you don't and plenty don't. Even when you do get it, it takes a while to work out why. I've been through various P cars and the 964 is the one left sitting in my garage. No logic to it, I just love it. GLWS.
It's all good. I have room for 2 fun cars right now. If I had room for a 3rd, I probably wouldn't be so quick to make a decision here. I had already listed the RS4 for sale a few places, in anticipation of replacing it with a 964 - so my first intention was not to get in and out of this one so quickly.

Fun fact - I think I read that the 94s went to VIN ....139. I was hoping I'd read that it went to 135, making this the last but, nope. Still close to the end of production (5 away).
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM
klaasvs31
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
Is it not a japanese car with these rear seats?
Annoying petty defects, but nothing dramatic.
Have the offending area of paint checked thoroughly by a competent body shop.
Non sunroof is VERY important for me, and hard/impossible to find in the US. How important is it for you?
Some people love taking care of maintenance / restoring to factory spec., others want to drive and nothing else. What grop are you in?
Yes, this is indeed a Japanese car.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Ok so I came full circle...and bombed out.

i did sell the RS, easily. As I look at more cars, I realized how nice and clean the RS really was....mistake of my lifetime.

i circled back and looked at this ROW car again as a slightly cheaper option and a car that I would modify without guilt. I’m leaving Lauderdale now, after looking at the car. It was straight and is super interesting at the price point but I couldn’t find a panel that had original paint and the trim was pretty rough. Definitely sat outside a while. I do have a PPi for the car and a kind member here checked it out for me. as well. Carnis a great candidate for a complete respray and most of the black moldings and trim replaced. Carpet is faded quite a bit and while that’s not a tough task, sourcing the color and Japanese back seat would be maybe impossible?

anyway, overall a solid car with a recent engine rebuild but just a little more Han I wanted to bite off.

should have stuck with the more expensive RSA.

Quick Reply: Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?