Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 230 Posts

Ok, so a couple of things.... First, I thank everyone for their input. I think we can all agree that at very least, he doesn’t provide a great description of the car.
I called him after the txt above - he mentioned that while he didn’t have that problem on THIS car, he wanted to mention it because of my concern - and that he has seen it happen on cars before and it doesn’t always indicate a problem..... I know....I read between the lines there... I reached back out to Vinnie who did the PPI and he’s looking at the report again and will call me back. He did reiterate that during their mechanical inspection, the awd system was functioning correctly and there were no faults, lights or issues. They also did note a couple of codes - which they said were not present. I’m getting clarification as to why it was even listed, if they were not present - was it a previous code that had been cleared? Waiting to hear back.

I think this car has a lot of potential and can benefit from an owner who cares enough to address every little thing, and do it right. I also feel that once the car is well sorted, it will be valuable enough to offset my expense, should I decide to sell. At this point, I’m moving forward, pending what the inspector tells me about the codes. If he says those codes must have existed recently, I’ll believe that the seller is not trustworthy and the deal will be off.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Good luck, hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
LOL... A good running 964 will not have any lights on and if a light is on, there is usually a good reason for that.
Laruant Can't sometime lights intermittently come on if there is a battery issue? I'm looking at one rite now and the seller is telling me there is battery drain so he disconnects the battery when he parks the car, and that since he started doing that once in a while dash lights like ABS will come on then go off...now you have me very worried lol

From my experience though, there is always a reason, it could be simple reason like battery which i'm hoping is the reason for the one i'm looking at, or of course it could be something more serious, but wouldn't you feel something mechanically wrong if there was something serious?

Not a fan of the sellers nonchalant reply in the text to jeff though...not sure this seller would be of much help if any problems pop up after the sale.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:40 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Laruant Can't sometime lights intermittently come on if there is a battery issue? I'm looking at one rite now and the seller is telling me there is battery drain so he disconnects the battery when he parks the car, and that since he started doing that once in a while dash lights like ABS will come on then go off...now you have me very worried lol
From my experience though, there is always a reason, it could be simple reason like battery which i'm hoping is the reason for the one i'm looking at, or of course it could be something more serious, but wouldn't you feel something mechanically wrong if there was something serious?
Not a fan of the sellers nonchalant reply in the text to jeff though...not sure this seller would be of much help if any problems pop up after the sale.
Right but if a light comes on, there is always a reason for it and a "near perfect turnkey C4" as they described it should not have any lights on. My point was that the seller's comment that "you're going to have to get used to an older car lights flash for no reason" is laughable and would make me walk away from the car. Buying the seller is equally important as buying the car, and the seller's BS meter is rising.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Right but if a light comes on, there is always a reason for it and a "near perfect turnkey C4" as they described it should not have any lights on. My point was that the seller's comment that "you're going to have to get used to an older car lights flash for no reason" is laughable and would make me walk away from the car. Buying the seller is equally important as buying the car, and the seller's BS meter is rising.
Absolutely agree, that reply is an indication of whats yet to come. I'd rather a seller tell me, hey the light comes on, not sure exactly why, than say "get used to it"

FYI to the OP: Becker radios should come programed, i just bought a CR 210 from them for my C2 and it was "programed" not even sure what that means, probably means you need code.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

I agree - it seems like the BS is rising.... I will say this - I had just said something to the effect of hoping that nothing major would go wrong with the car right out of the gate and mentioned ABS AWD, specifically. I called him after this txt exchange and he said that he was just explaining that old cars, especially these AWD systems sometimes throw a code here or there and that this car didn't actually have any issues like that - but was just speaking generally. Who knows - it could all be BS and I'll get a code right down the road. The PPI test drive didn't turn anything up - so I'm leaning that way.

I think this guy is good at obtaining desirable cars but maybe not the best salesman in the world.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I agree - it seems like the BS is rising.... I will say this - I had just said something to the effect of hoping that nothing major would go wrong with the car right out of the gate and mentioned ABS AWD, specifically. I called him after this txt exchange and he said that he was just explaining that old cars, especially these AWD systems sometimes throw a code here or there and that this car didn't actually have any issues like that - but was just speaking generally. Who knows - it could all be BS and I'll get a code right down the road. The PPI test drive didn't turn anything up - so I'm leaning that way.

I think this guy is good at obtaining desirable cars but maybe not the best salesman in the world.
I mean he allowed you to get a ppi so ball is in your court and its your decision, you really can't be upset with him if anything happens later- Good luck, as rare as these 964's are becoming either way you will be fine
Old 05-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

What’s listed on the PPI isn’t all that scary but judging by the correspondence with the seller I would low ball the offer with the assumption that you are definitely going to have issues bigger than what the PPI found.

Key words when buying these cars, buy the seller. I’m finding this is just as important as the PPI.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all of the input. I solved this problem.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow! That's quite a different direction.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You can’t just put up one picture and no details!!! Let’s see what you got!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You can’t just put up one picture and no details!!! Let’s see what you got!
Second that.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:23 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Poor thing got driven in the rain for the first time in 10 years, I believe. I’m just going to jumble all of my thoughts together as one-liners...good and bad.

I came across this silver RSA and moved fast (as I was wanting to commit to this ROW car that we’ve been talking about...). The price seemed right - really one of the better deals on an RSA that I’ve seen recently... A few things contributed to the reasonable price. Miles 138k - A/C needs charged a couple times a year - Been repainted (9/10, IMO). Paint is really really good - it was sprayed prior to his ownership 10 years ago - so it’s settled in...painter didn’t spray the jambs, so likely not a window out respray but there aren’t any lines around the trim, either. The black and all rubber looks VERY good. Engine has no cosmoline on the bottom (looks like clean aluminum) which makes me suspect it’s been rebuilt at some point but it does look dusty like it’s never been out Car cruised home 2.5 hours perfectly. No bad lights on the dash. Everything (except AC and a couple sticky window switches) worked.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Oh, it’s a 94. Options are sunroof, AC. Wish it had LSD.

Quick Reply: Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?