Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:55 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

How much concern is there in regards to the engine being rebuilt but not receiving the gasket “fix”?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:49 AM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real pros please correct me but I wasn't aware you could just add a gasket to a non-gasket engine. Unless that's not what you mean by gasket fix. My UK '90 was rebuilt 5yrs ago without a gasket fix and it's just fine
Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

c2 vs c4 - they drive very very differently... not good/bad just quite different

make sure a c4 is what u want... have you driven well sorted examples of each?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:30 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

I’ve never driven a C4.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:13 PM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
How much concern is there in regards to the engine being rebuilt but not receiving the gasket “fix”?
It depends how you look at it. I have an early 90 c4 on original motor at 80k miles without the gasket and it leaks a single drop every month or two, which doesn't bother me enough to tear open the engine. However, in the case of an engine that was rebuilt I would question why it wasn't addressed? From what I've seen machining for the gasket costs between $500-750 so I would think it would be a worthwhile investment when you tear apart the whole motor (it's a drop in the bucket at that point). It's not really a necessary item, but the lack of maintenance in other regions of the car lead me to believe it was skipped for cost purposes which naturally leads the skeptic in me to thinking what else was skipped.

If you're fine with the condition of the paint on this car then I say buy it. Throw in $5k for maintenance and you're looking at $55k for an ROW C4 which will be sound mechanically. If you're unhappy with the paint condition or the fact it's a C4 then I would probably skip and keep looking to avoid the headache of painting.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

I’ve never driven a C4.
Only difference you will feel is car is a little heavier & feels more planted...i have a C2 but have driven a C4 and really there isn't any "huge" diff unless you are on the track maybe.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought my car from them back in 2015. Pm me if you want.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil_m
It depends how you look at it. I have an early 90 c4 on original motor at 80k miles without the gasket and it leaks a single drop every month or two, which doesn't bother me enough to tear open the engine. However, in the case of an engine that was rebuilt I would question why it wasn't addressed? From what I've seen machining for the gasket costs between $500-750 so I would think it would be a worthwhile investment when you tear apart the whole motor (it's a drop in the bucket at that point). It's not really a necessary item, but the lack of maintenance in other regions of the car lead me to believe it was skipped for cost purposes which naturally leads the skeptic in me to thinking what else was skipped.

If you're fine with the condition of the paint on this car then I say buy it. Throw in $5k for maintenance and you're looking at $55k for an ROW C4 which will be sound mechanically. If you're unhappy with the paint condition or the fact it's a C4 then I would probably skip and keep looking to avoid the headache of painting.
I'm certain it was done to save a buck - the mechanic tells me that the reason they leak is they get old and dry...and I do know that this is partially true but maybe he believes that it should not leak at all now? I'm not worried about a drop or so here or there. He says he has owned it since 2015, which may be true - Carfax shows the same owner in his area since then...or he could have bought it recently and not registered it, planning on a flip, which explains why he did the engine but none of the other things on the car. I don't have a huge problem doing most of this stuff myself - the thing that worries me most, mechanically is the ABS/AWD system, which he says he flushed - note the couple codes listed in the PPI - they aren't present currently but who knows how long it will be before they show up.

Originally Posted by gavonder
I bought my car from them back in 2015. Pm me if you want.
That would be great, thank you. PM sent.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Only difference you will feel is car is a little heavier & feels more planted...i have a C2 but have driven a C4 and really there isn't any "huge" diff unless you are on the track maybe.
I’ve never driven a C4.
i admit i am pretty deep into porsches and aircooled ones at that

while what tarek says is accurate... the c4 is a somewhat nose-heavier, more planted version of a c2... i think the driving experience is quite different

i have two c2's (one stock one hot rodded) and a c4, mostly stock... the c2's are definitely much lighter in the nose and give the classic porsche feel of the light/twitchy front end near the limit...steering feel/effort is significantly lighter and more communicative... both cars with correct alignment and setup, the c4 stays planted and stays in understeer mode much more when pushed, esp. in slow, sharp corners, where the c2 will rotate much more easily and feels 'tossable'... the c4 will play, but you need to 'manhandle' it much more, whereas the c2 is driven at pace with a lot more 'lightness' and finesse

of course, if you live in foul weather locations and like to go on fun runs even when it is not so nice out, the c4's awd is worth its weight in gold

none of this you will feel if you just mosey along in urban/suburban traffic, or to get a latte at starbucks... but leaving aside the racetrack, if you just take these cars out for brisk morning canyon carving/windy road drives at 75-80% of the car's potential, you will definitely feel what i have described above
Old 05-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i admit i am pretty deep into porsches and aircooled ones at that

while what tarek says is accurate... the c4 is a somewhat nose-heavier, more planted version of a c2... i think the driving experience is quite different

i have two c2's (one stock one hot rodded) and a c4, mostly stock... the c2's are definitely much lighter in the nose and give the classic porsche feel of the light/twitchy front end near the limit...steering feel/effort is significantly lighter and more communicative... both cars with correct alignment and setup, the c4 stays planted and stays in understeer mode much more when pushed, esp. in slow, sharp corners, where the c2 will rotate much more easily and feels 'tossable'... the c4 will play, but you need to 'manhandle' it much more, whereas the c2 is driven at pace with a lot more 'lightness' and finesse

of course, if you live in foul weather locations and like to go on fun runs even when it is not so nice out, the c4's awd is worth its weight in gold

none of this you will feel if you just mosey along in urban/suburban traffic, or to get a latte at starbucks... but leaving aside the racetrack, if you just take these cars out for brisk morning canyon carving/windy road drives at 75-80% of the car's potential, you will definitely feel what i have described above
Excellent description!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it not a japanese car with these rear seats?
Annoying petty defects, but nothing dramatic.
Have the offending area of paint checked thoroughly by a competent body shop.
Non sunroof is VERY important for me, and hard/impossible to find in the US. How important is it for you?
Some people love taking care of maintenance / restoring to factory spec., others want to drive and nothing else. What grop are you in?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Do ABS lights ever come on and it not ACTUALLY be a problem? He says that happens and to just cycle the key........faq...
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Do ABS lights ever come on and it not ACTUALLY be a problem? He says that happens and to just cycle the key........faq...

Last edited by jeff33702; 05-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ABS alarm light does not just happen. Not in my '89, not in any of the other 964s I have seen/driven.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

“Near perfect turnkey c4 has 1200 miles on overhaul of motor runs great and is drip free,ac nice and cold and heat works perfect,shifts smooth :updated cdr220 with iPod cable,from Becker auto sound

From eBay listing, define near perfect turn key. A lot of items that should be addressed.

Quick Reply: Ok now that I have this in PPI - what do you guys think?