Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matter roll bar, is it available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:22 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matter roll bar, is it available?

The Matter roll bars seemed to be an option for the C2's from Porsche. Is there a way to obtain one.

Any pics out there?

Thanks in advance.

Keith
C2Turbo
Sacramento, USA
Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Try Don at www.porsport.com

I think he was selling one recently

marc
Old 01-03-2004, 02:10 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Thanks Marc,

he had somthing else I wanted so still looking.

Keith
Old 01-03-2004, 05:36 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Matter went under last year, and was reborn under a different name, still producing bars and cages.
Their adress might be the same:
Old 01-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Keith,
Matter roll cages were never a stand alone option for a Carrera 2. They are part of the Club Sports package option. The CS package was available for the 964 Carrera RS/RS 3.8/RSR.
There was never a Carrera 2 CS package that I am aware of. There was a Carrera 3.2 CS and the same option was offered earlier on the 911SC. I do not know if this included roll cages for the Carrera 3.2 but it did not for the 911SC.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,

I do not think the CS package is what we are talking about as they had full cages that were welded into the car. Porsche offered as an accessory a bolt in 4 point roll bar for the 964 and 993 that bolted to the seatbelt points. I have one of those bars. They have long been unavailible.

I am unaware of an SC CS. It sounds like a neat car. I have recently found a US SC that is a full delete option car with Bilstein suspension. Could this car have a special option code?

Best,

Don
Old 01-04-2004, 02:03 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Thanks everyone, I don't want a cuage and was hoping I could get a factory bar like is offered for the 996 by Porsche.

Thought Mater might have made a bolt in 4 point as noted.

Again thanks.

Keith
Old 01-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Don,
The CS package offered no cage, bolt in cage or welded in roll cages. There was not just one package it depended upon the level of competition and the customers request.
The 911SC CS package did not include a roll cage and was only offered to the UK. It was known as the 911SC Sport in the UK. The kit was first made available in 1980 but the two that I know of which are genuine are 1982 models.
On the 911SC you have found it may have. The sad thing is that 911s built before 1982 are almost impossible to find out anything about from PAG. Let us say the records are not intact. important. The original delivery records are critical. Hard to prove a special 911SC. If it is a 78 or 79 model then it is not a special.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,

Adrian,

I guess there were different Club Sports for different models 911 vs. 964 vs. 993 ect. I know the 88-89 did not have a roll bar or cage as part of the CS package but the Club Sport version of the 964 and 993 RS did have the full welded Matter cage and painted interior like the Cup racer. The 968 CS also used a full cage from Matter but that was the removable type much like the GT-3 CS today with interior and carpet.

The SC that I found is a 78 so just a delete option car but it is very neat.

Best,

Don
Old 01-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Don,
There was model CS packages as you correctly point out but you could also purchase a non model (for want of better words) CS package. These were never offered for specific models and were generic in nature. If you knew you could ask for it. You needed deep pockets and patience.
You would be amazed what you could actually get fitted to your 964. You also have to remember that the 964 was the last of the models where almost anything went. It cost Porsche a fortune to make these special things. Far more than what they charged for them. The 993 transistioned away from this (new management) and the 996 as you know is somewhat limited in its model range. There are far fewer 996 specials than there were 964 specials.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-04-2004, 12:13 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith,

Have you considered the DAS Sport Bar? It's a true bolt in and completely reversible. The bar also arrives unfinished so you can paint to suit. Is this what you were looking for?

Here's a link to their website.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:50 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Also check out www.heigo.de. A lot of models for Porsche and very good quality.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:35 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Thanks guys.

Was hoping I could get a factory bar like the 996's seem to have for about the same proce.

The DAS is a great product and migh concider. Does it block seeing through the rear window?

Want somthing light that hugs the roof and sides a bit well. Dont mind having bolt plates welded in if needed.

My second choice is to have a fabricater to make me a chromemoly w only one cross brace like the early RSR.

Any pics of the Mater bar?

Keith
Old 01-04-2004, 11:21 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a picture of a 964RSCS interior featuring the Matter cage from the PCA Mart classifieds.

If you look at the point above the passenger seat, you can see that there are two crossbars which meet there. One is welded to the upper rear seat mounting point, while the other comes down to the sill behind the driver's seat. You can find more pictures in the March 2002 issue of 911&PW which featured a 964 C4RS LW w/ Matter, but this may be overkill for what you're trying to accomplish.

Visibility is obstructed by not only the crossbars but along the roof line. I have a Safety Devices bar which hugs the headliner nicely but you can no longer see the rear brake light and surrounding area. For a non-sunroof car with appropriate bar, there may be less obstruction.

Sounds like you might want the Autopower rollbar available through I/O Port Products. Their designs seem very similar to the 996 and RSR items you mentioned but their forward "feet" mount to the floor.

The Safety Devices item and others actually sit on the sill which may be a stronger design, but I am not a structural engineer so I'll leave it at that. The Autopower rollbar with crossbar, however, meets SCCA safety requirements since its crossbar attaches to the floor mounting point (as opposed to the upper seat location) which the SCCA prefers.

If you plan to race someday, you may want to review the organization's safety requirements prior to purchase to avoid any rework. In any event, these safety devices are a good idea if you plan to regularly participate in high-speed events.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 01-04-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:40 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Wow!

That looks like fun.

The Safety Devices set up is the best fit and would go with them if they made a roll bar.

There roll bar is part of there cage and is to small diamiter for local Porsche time trials as I think it is a meteric size around 1.5. I need 1.75 unless I get a cage.

Had Auto Power. It it a boat anchor at 60 lbs and can not see past it for street driving.

Thank you...

Quick Reply: Matter roll bar, is it available?