Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Stabilzation Valve

Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Idle Stabilzation Valve

This 993 thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...valve-isv.html is one of the most technical I’ve read and I’m keen to see what advanced tests can be done on the 964 ISV to improve erratic idle operation diagnosis. Mine is currently fine, which is a great time to get base line data. The only problem so far is that the 964 ISV has 2 pins compared to the 993s 3 pins. Has anyone cut open a 964 ISV?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Has anyone cut open a 964 ISV?
No, but I do have an junk one (I believe, would need to confirm) sitting around I could dissect. For science.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deserion
No, but I do have an junk one (I believe, would need to confirm) sitting around I could dissect. For science.
A noble death. I look forward to the autopsy pics
Old 04-26-2018, 05:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What I'm interested in is the control mechanism. The 993 ISV has a power supply and two control lines, one to extend and one to retract the valve whereas the 964 only has two wires, so logically only one control line. I'd like to understand how the valve position is controlled with one control line.

When I know that I can understand the pulse output of the DME to complete a systems analysis. Too often I see hunting issues that aren't satisfactorily fixed by ISV replacement. I'd like to describe the system so that diagnosis is easier.

Last edited by John McM; 04-26-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 137 Posts

What I'm interested in is the control mechanism. The 993 ISV has a power supply and two control lines, one to extend and one to retract the valve whereas the 964 only has two wires, so logically only one control line. I'd like to understand how the valve position is controlled with one control line.

When I know that I can understand the pulse output of the DME to complete a systems analysis. Too often I see hunting issues that aren't satisfactorily fixed by ISV replacement. I'd like to describe the system so that diagnosis is easier.
Once my new one arrives, I’ll send you mine to dissect. I’m still unsure the main cause of the occasional hunting. Eliminated all the usual.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes

Once my new one arrives, I’ll send you mine to dissect. I’m still unsure the main cause of the occasional hunting. Eliminated all the usual.
That would be useful as well.

Hunting could be due to an ISV not responding correctly to the inputs from the DME or it could be due to incorrect inputs to the DME, or even a bit of both. At its heart it's a simple feedback loop system, with the ISV as the only output, influencing the amount of air entering the engine at idle.

I'm also interested in getting a range of scantool outputs e.g. at idle the Scantool tells me that my ignition is advanced 6.5 degrees at cold start, quickly moving to 5.6 degrees when warming up (my after market ECU used advance as one way of 'catching' a falling idle.

BTW: My adapted IAC trim is 128 (80h), whatever that means.

If I understand how the ISV works and tap into the DME signals on a working idle, then there is a base line to diagnose when it goes wrong with a hunting idle.

Last edited by John McM; 04-26-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

John, the ISV is driven by PWM (Pulse width Modulation).
Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robt964
John, the ISV is driven by PWM (Pulse width Modulation).
Thanks for that info Rob. By maintaining a constant voltage and varying the pulse width the system is varying the power to the solenoid and therefore its position.

What confuses me is that the 993 uses two solenoids to control the valve. One to open and one to close. I gather the 964 is a single solenoid. Is it spring loaded? I’m guessing that adaptation fine tunes the base solenoid position, like a neutral position which is why the engine must be at operating temperature and all loads off when an adaptation is carried out, as that is the logical point where the least amount of air bypass is required.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

... One to open and one to close. I gather the 964 is a single solenoid. Is it spring loaded?

i have removed mine, shot carb cleaner into it and applied 9VDC from a little battery to get the carb cleaner to swish around. (tea came out) It is spring loaded... With it moving back to rest position with voltage removed.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:18 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can second Laker - the 964 ISV is spring loaded in one direction.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laker
i have removed mine, shot carb cleaner into it and applied 9VDC from a little battery to get the carb cleaner to swish around. (tea came out) It is spring loaded... With it moving back to rest position with voltage removed.
By rest do you mean closed as a bypass so the least air going through it?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

To measure the pulse width I need to buy Bosch test kit 1684463093 or VAG1315A/1. Easier said than done and not cheap.

Am I correct in guessing that the ISV plug is a Bosch EV1 fuel injector plug and therefore I can make my own tester with male and female EV1 plugs?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m guessing that adaptation fine tunes the base solenoid position... I'm also interested in getting a range of scantool outputs e.g. at idle
And there are six compensation maps for adjusting that (base) amount of bypass, separate to the algorithm/function for trying to get it to match the idle RPM setpoint. And then all the fuel and timing maps to support that. Although those are pretty constant once the CHT reaches its peak value. When we were trying to come up with a solution for the LWF, we noticed that battery voltage and electrical load plays a BIG part when it came time to try and catch a falling RPM when completely off-throttle.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

By rest do you mean closed as a bypass so the least air going through it?

With 9VDC applied the valve moves. When the voltage is removed, it flips back to the 'rest' position. Wether is open or closed I don't know.
Shooting carb cleaner into it fixed the issue I had. Starting on a warm engine sometimes stalled and I had to start again.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
And there are six compensation maps for adjusting that (base) amount of bypass, separate to the algorithm/function for trying to get it to match the idle RPM setpoint. And then all the fuel and timing maps to support that. Although those are pretty constant once the CHT reaches its peak value. When we were trying to come up with a solution for the LWF, we noticed that battery voltage and electrical load plays a BIG part when it came time to try and catch a falling RPM when completely off-throttle.
Jason, you have a wealth of knowledge. Always appreciated. Were you a Porsche Technician?

I have ordered plugs to make a test lead (actually I had fun finding the male EV1 plug at a reasonable price and ended up with 20!), have a possibly faulty ISV coming to test and am all ears for any more info. It’s really a fact finding mission for me as eventually my idle will hunt and when it does I’d like to have a logic based approach to solving it. I’d also like to write a definitive post as some of the information is spread about e.g. your recommendations on ISV cleaning fluids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle Stabilzation Valve