Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of top speeds are you seeing on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Default What kind of top speeds are you seeing on the track?

Suzuka is my local cirvuit and has a very long straights. I also plan on doing driving events in their future on other tracks here in Japan. The car is also going to be used on the street so I'm keeping that in mind. I'm building up a six speed for the car and looking at ratios as you can see in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ar-ratios.html

In planning to build the question of desired top speed comes up quite often so I thought I'd ask the greater good of Rennlist what top speeds your seeing on what tracks.

Of course we have to take into mine any modifications made to the engine into consideration in terms of a comparison. In my case I'll be running a chip and G pipe and that's about it. However, of course these things are always up for development in the future…… Mu current budget is blown on the gearbox.

My current favorite for 6th is 0.86 ratio (same as the g50/03) which gives a therotical top speed near 168 at redline- 164mph is the published official top speed.

Can the 3.6 pull a higher gear (say 0.82) and if it can is it desirable to do so?

Pete

Last edited by Peteinjp; 04-14-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Vmax here in 4th is 195km/hr, which is very close to the Rev limiter
I tried shifting into 5th on other laps, but it was actually slower and gave too much risk of a money shift. As a reference a 991 GT3 would be circa 230km/hr at the same point. BTW there’s a corner on this track I used to shift down to 2nd on. A racer told me to leave it in 3rd as the car is more stable without the gear change on the crest of the hill. Lots more to think about than just speed.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Watkins Glen, 138 mph before braking for the Busstop.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:06 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Watkins Glen, 138 mph before braking for the Busstop. That's in a 4 speed TIP.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks guys. My local 964 guru hits 150mph on his speedo at Suzuka. Unfortunately he lost all his gps based data.....

John- you are very correct- there is a lot more than speed. With that in mind how would you change your current gearing if you were to do so?

i may throw this out out to the 993 forum and see what they have to say seeing as I’m going to a 6 speed but I’m pretty sure that sticking with the 0.86 ratio for top gear with the top speed of 164 is low enough to use on the track but also a decent overdrive for street use.

Pete
Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Pete, I have driven on seven different race tracks in New Zealand and thousands of km on back road trips.

The only gear that annoys me is 2nd where I'd like to see it slightly longer but the reality is that I didn't change it when I had a complete box overhaul done.

The above overhaul was due to the track driving and I have no intention of wearing the synchros out to have another one so I've changed tack.

Track driving to me is not racing so I can afford to give the box a little more time to allow the synchros to work and to change down methodically to avoid a money shift. It follows that I don't need a box that has perfect ratios.

In summary, my goal is to make the most of the stock ratios and would not change things out unless I was intending to race. Even then I imagine each new track would require different gearing.

Quick Reply: What kind of top speeds are you seeing on the track?