Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tire Sizing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Great buy my friend! They are going to look great, especially with your targa's color.

As for tires, it's an old joke but my wife always recommends the black ones as "they go with any car color".
Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Heres my 2 cents on tires or 2 pence on tyres for us Brits

The Big four manufacturers...
Michelin - High end French! - Pilot Sport 2 were the best tyres I've ever had! Pricey!!!
Goodyear - High end American - I'm currently running Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and very impressed.
Bridgestone - High end Japanese - Had the Potenza RE71 on a few motors, bit non discript...
Continental - High end German - Only ever had these on cars when I first bought them and were quickly changed, so can't comment.

Other considerations
Dunlop - Mid range English, now owned by Goodyear... Nearly bought Sport Maxx RT2 but went for the Goodyear's, so might try these next?
Pirelli - Mid range Italian - Had various Pzero's and hated all of them!
Falken - Budget Japanese owned by Sumitomo - The Azenis FK453 were not bad, only changed as I sold the wheels.
Toyo - Budget Japanese - Proxes T1R are a lot of tyre for the money, dirt cheap but wear quickly as quite soft and sticky.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Tires are very subjective and depend on the way you enjoy your car.

If I were to do a lot of spirited driving / trackday I'd do Toyo or Dunlop star spec all day.

From the big four I'd save only the Michelin which, as you said, are pricey.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

So I called my local tire shop and I’m coming up with some different options through him. He noted that Bridgestone has the Super Sport available on my sizes and price was $870 Installed/Balanced, Conti’s were $740. I’ve heard the Suport Sports have a softer sidewall which I’m not keen on but I have also heard they stiffen up after a few heat cycles. I know my PS2’s on the Spyder were initally soft also and I wasn’t too thrilled but they have stiffened with use.

As far as usage, I will primarily be using them for canyon runs and around town which is about as divers as it gets. I would prefer they be set up for the canyon runs and would be willing to forego the comfort for better handling and transitions.

What’s odd is that the PS2’s come up online but he wasn’t seeing them from his distributor, should I push him to check other locations?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

I also noticed that Michelin is sponsoring this forum now
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

Afshin,
Nice pick up on the RUF! We love them, but we are biased.

Go with Michelin if you can. For the consistency of the tire through out its life in terms of performance & road noise you can't beat with Michelin.​​​​​​​

Old 04-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, I love the painted centers rstrada, they look amazing! When I first started looking for these wheels I wanted a set that needed refinishing so I could have the centers painted to match my car but the ones I found are absolutely perfect and I can’t justify repainting them, at least not now.

After reading everything online, feedback from this forum and talking to a few friends I am going with the Michelin’s. I figure I should get about 5 years out of the fronts and 3 years out of the rears.

I did have another question directly related to the RUF wheels. Some people are saying the rear wheels will need a 10mm spacer to avoid rubbing against the oil line. Is this correct? If spacers are required will I also need to change the brake studs in the rear? Final question, if a spacer is required does anyone have suggestion on which ones to use?

Thanks again everyone for the guidance and suggestions.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Wow, I love the painted centers rstrada, they look amazing! When I first started looking for these wheels I wanted a set that needed refinishing so I could have the centers painted to match my car but the ones I found are absolutely perfect and I can’t justify repainting them, at least not now.

After reading everything online, feedback from this forum and talking to a few friends I am going with the Michelin’s. I figure I should get about 5 years out of the fronts and 3 years out of the rears.

I did have another question directly related to the RUF wheels. Some people are saying the rear wheels will need a 10mm spacer to avoid rubbing against the oil line. Is this correct? If spacers are required will I also need to change the brake studs in the rear? Final question, if a spacer is required does anyone have suggestion on which ones to use?

Thanks again everyone for the guidance and suggestions.
For the 9'' rear wheel you have, you do not need any spacer. Spacer is only needed for the identical RUF wheel in 10'' wide with ET56 offset.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rstrada
For the 9'' rear wheel you have, you do not need any spacer. Spacer is only needed for the identical RUF wheel in 10'' wide with ET56 offset.
That’s a relief, thank you!

I’ll post up some pictures once I have them mounted on the car, probably next weekend. Can’t wait!

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Went with the Hankook on cup 2’s, figure I will end up replacing based upon time not mileage. Keep those pictures coming.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Jetta and Marine

I went out for an early morning blast up the coast -- yesterday I mounted an extra set of BBS 18 RSGT with Bridgestones I have, wanted to feel if it affects the handling of the car compared to the 17's (w Hankook Evo V12's) - short answer is it really does, to my surprise. I am driving this new-to-me C4 a lot with the various permutations of wheels/tires/suspension to really understand and figure out the car (vs. my very familiar C2's).

Without getting into that too much here, while we are commenting on looks, I snapped some pics at a roadside pit stop... one can never complain about how classic and cool BBS looks, but to my eye, from a pure aesthetics POV, I think I still like the 17 Cup 1's... hmmm

Old 04-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Jetta and Marine

I went out for an early morning blast up the coast -- yesterday I mounted an extra set of BBS 18 RSGT with Bridgestones I have, wanted to feel if it affects the handling of the car compared to the 17's (w Hankook Evo V12's) - short answer is it really does, to my surprise. I am driving this new-to-me C4 a lot with the various permutations of wheels/tires/suspension to really understand and figure out the car (vs. my very familiar C2's).

Without getting into that too much here, while we are commenting on looks, I snapped some pics at a roadside pit stop... one can never complain about how classic and cool BBS looks, but to my eye, from a pure aesthetics POV, I think I still like the 17 Cup 1's... hmmm

I’m a big fan of the BBS too, in fact I debated the LM’s but I wanted them in 17” with a specific color combo which would have been impossible to find and likely very costly.

The Spyder has really helped me to tune into the car and the feedback that Porsche’s can provide. I use that as my baseline which I know is wrong when you start looking at older 911’s. But I have learned that tires can have a dramatic affect on the cars handling on the Spyder. The Bridgestone RE050A’s that came on the car were great the first two years but they traction dropped off after year 3 and got progressively worse until I changed them. The Michelins PS2’s I put on were much lighter and initially they were softer than the Bridgestone. The two things I immediately picked up on is that in transitions the car wasn’t as quick but over the road the car was more planted and the suspension wasn’t working as hard. Fortunately the Michelins stiffened up and they feel as good as the Bridgestone now but I was worried.

I’m hoping going from 16” Conti’s to the 17” Michelin will give me a similar transformation as upgrading the suspension although I suspect it won’t be nearly as dramatic. I’ll know soon enough.

Keep the pictures and feedback coming, great way to learn.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Went with the Hankook on cup 2’s, figure I will end up replacing based upon time not mileage. Keep those pictures coming.
I run Hankook as well. A set of street tyres on one set of wheels and track tyres on the other set. Well priced and they last on the street. I've yet to run out of street driving grip, but I am advantaged having a C4

Quick Reply: Need Tire Sizing Advice