Sponsored by:

CR-2 radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 PM
99er
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR-2 radio replacement

I know there's tons of threads about CR-2 radios and mine displays the usual symptoms - broken cd and static-key FM reception. I pulled the radio and the unit connects to an amp under the passenger seat as you all know. I was interested in replacing it with a newer CD unit like the CDR23 but the wiring harness is different. I went to a local audio store and they said rewiring the car to accept this newer head unit is not possible. This doesn't make sense to me as Porsche sells the Classic Radio (which is more than I want to spend) which seems to be compatible with cars of multiple generations. I'd like to keep the stock look of the car including the two tweeters and two woofers on the door panels and the two 4x6 speakers on the rear deck. So my question is, if I want to replace my CR2 - can I install a newer Porsche unit? I wouldn't car about bypassing the original amp.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I just installed a Clarion headunit without any issues. I also bypassed the amp under the seat as I found the new headunit was plenty powerful at very high volumes. With my install I had to connect the original power, ground and speaker wire connections to the new harness. You will have four total speaker wires coming into the headunit, one for each corner of the car. The door speakers actually connect to to a crossover built into the door first before the wire is routed to the head unit which is why you don’t have six speaker wires.

Unfortunately my car was already cut by a previous owner so I didn’t have the concern with the original wiring. I believe Crutchfield does sell kits which allow connection to the original harness, La Jolla Audio may also have a solution to allow newer Porsche Radios to operate in the older cars without modification.

Not exactly a direct answer but it gives you some idea of what you’re dealing with. Here’s a pic of the headunit i installed.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 PM
99er
Instructor

The stereo guy said that installing an aftermarket head unit wouldn't be a problem since it uses a universal harness. The problem was that a Porsche head unit requires a proprietary harness that the installer didn't have access to. Hope that makes sense. I'll try Crutchfield tomorrow.

Last edited by 99er; 04-02-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 99er
The problem was that a Porsche head unit requires a proprietary harness that the installer didn't have access to.
Yeah, he's full of it. It's nothing proprietary. Can you post a photo of the plugs and top of the radio (which should show a diagram)?

Go here to look for a harness adapter: Bergvill F/X

I have this one on mine to go between the original harness and a new radio. Works wonders, and Tore is pleasant to work with.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

I'd suggest if you're going to upgrade to a newer unit, then go with a complete system (basically match the amp to the head unit you install).

BTW - PM me if you're interested in selling your old CR-2 unit as is.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Roque
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I just installed a Clarion headunit without any issues. I also bypassed the amp under the seat as I found the new headunit was plenty powerful at very high volumes. With my install I had to connect the original power, ground and speaker wire connections to the new harness. You will have four total speaker wires coming into the headunit, one for each corner of the car. The door speakers actually connect to to a crossover built into the door first before the wire is routed to the head unit which is why you don’t have six speaker wires.

Unfortunately my car was already cut by a previous owner so I didn’t have the concern with the original wiring. I believe Crutchfield does sell kits which allow connection to the original harness, La Jolla Audio may also have a solution to allow newer Porsche Radios to operate in the older cars without modification.

Not exactly a direct answer but it gives you some idea of what you’re dealing with. Here’s a pic of the headunit i installed.

Can you show some pics of your Clarion M508 display in contrast with a/c buttons and gauges to see how illumination looks at night.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

I went with a CR-210 refurb from Becker with Bluetooth streaming built in- sound great & is period correct, very happy with it
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
I went with a CR-210 refurb from Becker with Bluetooth streaming built in- sound great & is period correct, very happy with it
Pretty much what I did too, but mine is a CR-220. In lieu of Bluetooth streaming, mine is modified to connect directly with my phone. Charges my phone too. Looks great and doesn't sound bad.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
stop being a hoarder and put that car up for sale, i want it, PLEAAAASE! lol. The radio in it looked great when i saw it at sleepers- please if you decide to sell it let me know, you are a p car dealer so why not sell it???
Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Roque
Can you show some pics of your Clarion M508 display in contrast with a/c buttons and gauges to see how illumination looks at night.

Thanks,
Carlos
Carlos I’ll try to get some pics this evening. I will say up front that the color is way off, it’s a bright white LED color, not the yellow hue of the old school Porsches. I have already been in touch with Clarion to determine if they have another version coming out with adjustable colors, we will see what they say.

Quick Reply: CR-2 radio replacement