Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sooner964
Hey Dingo,

I think this is the piece you are looking for. It is the Porsche OEM hot air elbow for the RS / Cup models in ABS plastic, p/n 993-211-941-00. Much nicer than the carbon fiber pieces. Also, there are many complaints about the fitment of the cf pieces. As Foxman said, there are a few things you have to do in terms of tricking the HVAC system to think the rear blower is still in place, but there are many examples of this on the forum. Search for something along the likes of "heater blower bypass". There are a few different ways to do it. I tried most of them and never got any of them to work, but it seems I'm in the small minority. I ultimately decided that, although I loved how much it cleaned up the engine bay having the bypass installed, I really preferred having a fully functional HVAC system. Living in Houston, you don't need heat often, but with the humidity, you definitely want to be able to defog your windows! Hope that helps a bit.
Hi there, thanks for the info.
Will do some searches when the time comes.
Yeah I love everything minimalist and tidy but I'll keep everything to reinstall if I change my mind!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Sooner964 is right on with that information, thanks. As noted , the Heater Bypass Duct is Part # 993 211 941 00. And the go to thread on the wiring solution is anto1150's "Heater bypass - definitive wiring solution" thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/ But there's really nothing definitive about the solution. Some cars work with the simple Relay (Part #964 610 184 00), while others with a hard wire work-around or don't seem to work at all. MY 90 and 91's reportedly need the hard-wire solution, but only the Relay solution worked for me.

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Subscribed.
Thanks Bloose993TT - nice avatar!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The Fox Family went to Florida for the Christmas Holiday. Plenty of free time to think about new projects, and Rennline was having a Holiday sale. I'm a big fan of Rennnline. Rennline has great products, and great service from a down to Earth sales staff. In anticipation of installing a light weight battery, I picked up a Rennline battery mount. The battery mount is a stout 2.25 lbs., but Wilbur will be doing auto cross and DE events eventually and velcro wasn't an option. I also purchased the Rennline lower dash delete cover, air=bag delete cover, a quick-release fire extinguisher mount, and the new tow hook with Go Pro mount. Hey, it's Christmas.

Rennline Battery Mount (photos courtesy Rennline)

Rennline Fire Extinguisher Mount

Rennline Lower Dash Delete

Rennline Airbag Block-off Plate

Rennline Folding Tow Hook with Go Pro Mount - Merry XMas!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Installing the Rennline lower dash delete cover is a great project for the 964. It opens up additional space in the cramped cabin for leg room - great for us taller guys. It also sheds 20.5 lbs. off the car. On a scale of 1-10 for degree of difficulty, I would rate this project a 3. The initial plan was to retain the radio, but I eventually decided to jettison the radio, amplifier and speakers for an additional 9.6 lbs. of savings. Total weight savings, over 23 lbs. removed from the car.

Stereo head unit out

3 1/2 lbs. saved

Pulled the CCU

I used a small mirror to spot the two screws on the inside of the dash.

10mm extended socket

I wrapped some tape around my finger to keep the nut from falling behind the dash
Old 03-21-2018, 02:10 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Almost there

The airbag is finally in sight

Airbag is out!

everything gets weighed

Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Airbag weighs close to 6 lbs.

The Rennline supplied screw comes unpainted.

A quick shot of satin black, and it looks poroper

Lower dash delete complete!

Weighing more bits
Old 03-21-2018, 04:07 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Gonna do center console delete on this one???

Keep it up- looking sweet!

pete
Old 03-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Gonna do center console delete on this one???

Keep it up- looking sweet!

pete
Thanks Pete,

I had no plans for a center console delete. The console went back into the car along with my new RS box (which yielded no weight savings FYI). But plans change ....
Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks nice! It definitely does open it up nicely without the lower dash pad there. I've wondered about removing mine and replacing the airbag with a glove box, but then I have to think about how to cover all the wiring/venting going on behind the scenes.

How do you like that Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT head unit? I've had that on my short list for future headunit replacement along with a few other units. It looks nice in the car. I like the dual **** layout as opposed to one large **** and buttons. Is it possible to make the facade surround more of a flat black than the gloss black it comes with? I like the Continental units a lot, too.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sooner964
Looks nice! It definitely does open it up nicely without the lower dash pad there. I've wondered about removing mine and replacing the airbag with a glove box, but then I have to think about how to cover all the wiring/venting going on behind the scenes.

How do you like that Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT head unit? I've had that on my short list for future headunit replacement along with a few other units. It looks nice in the car. I like the dual **** layout as opposed to one large **** and buttons. Is it possible to make the facade surround more of a flat black than the gloss black it comes with? I like the Continental units a lot, too.
Thanks! The lower dash delete was such a great mod I am now planning the same for my 993 (recently called “Tubby” after a corner balancing).

I really liked the sound and functionality of the Blaupunkt. But it didn’t look quite right in the dash to me, and I wanted to lose more weight. I decided to pull the center console out as well. So the radio is now out of the car, replaced with a Rennline radio delete plate. I will post a few photos tonight.

As for the radio, it’s never going back in the car so PM me if you want it.

Jim

Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
With the Steve Wong Chip installed, and Rothsport steering rack and new transmission mount and inserts, I'm beginning to think the car has potential. But Wilbur is a pig, and he needs to lose weight.
Love it! I'd had a bunch of the same mods on my car, plus some of the same weight reduction methods, and it really woke the car up.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Dru1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally dig what you're doing with the car. Tasteful!
Noob question here... can I safely assume that as long as the battery is disconnected, you can remove the airbag without (much) risk of setting it off?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dru1
Totally dig what you're doing with the car. Tasteful!
Noob question here... can I safely assume that as long as the battery is disconnected, you can remove the airbag without (much) risk of setting it off?
Thanks Dru1,

I’m no expert on airbags, but my understanding is that there’s a resistor that continues to activate the airbag for a a few minutes after disconnect. That makes sense so the airbag can still activate if the power quits from collision. So disconnect the battery, and then wait about twenty minutes to be safe.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Dru1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foxman, thanks! I'm not afraid of much but those things give me the shakes! LOL

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig