Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman

Infinite1, good to have you here on the Forum. The only foolish question is the one not asked.

It’s not a must to have insulation under the carpet. The RS came bare bones with a thin carpet and no insulation. If you want the car quiet, then go with Dynamat and MLV. See my RS carpet install thread on the 993 Forum for details. And post pics!
Thank you for the welcome! This forum is such a wealth of information. I hope to be adding my own resto/mod thread soon.....If I can just get out of the drivers seat long enough to start one. LOL.

Thank as well for the confirmation as it's my first Porsche i'm still learning a bit. I'll definitely check out your thread. Noise will definitely not be an issue as I have both the primary and secondary bypass. I just wish i could turn up the volume more...hahah

- Ryan -
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing and car is lookin good. Keep it up.
Thanks CBA, how are you liking the new BBS wheels??

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Wow! Outstanding work sir!

I just read this thread from front to back and had no idea you were doing this . . . Congrats!

Bring it on out someday.

Al
Thanks Al,

I was hoping to bring the car to the Palmer's Porsche on the Mountain event this weekend, but it's parents' visiting day at UVM. I am really looking forward to tracking this car at Palmer after the suspension is replaced.

Thanks for all that you and the team at Palmer do to make Palmer such a great a haven for our Porsches, both on the track an off!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

still waiting to bump into you/your 964 at bill's shop. its been a good read all along.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:41 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Quick update on the ongoing restoration and weight loss program I took the car to Eurotech in Framingham this weekend to evacuate the A/C (for pending /C removal), and to address a few minor items. Proper rubber isolators were installed to secure the DME, pad wear jumpers were fabricated and installed in place of silly wire nuts (the brake warning light was coming on), and the leaking power steering feed hose was replaced with a new hose. It's nice to have one less thing leaking, and the engine bay was cleaned and degreased.

I drove the car home on Monday with a handful of cable ties, and set about securing the remaining lines. I spent an hour under the dash board and in the rear tying off any remaining loose lines. Inglorious work, but necessary nonetheless. Then I pulled out the jig saw and cut a floor board for the passenger side. If anyone wants the templates, just PM me and I will be happy to provide them.

But the best project was a quick replacement of the old lead battery with a lithium battery from Voltphreaks. This is a quick 15 minute project, but add another 15 minutes to clean 30 years of gunk out form under the battery The battery in the car weighed 43 1/4 lbs. The Voltphreaks lithium battery weighs in just under 6 lbs. But add 2 1/4 lbs. for the sturdy Rennline battery mount and the total weight is 8 1/4 lbs. That's a 35 lb. weight reduction, and it took less than 15 minutes to install. Weight is the enemy...

Rubber isolators to dampen vibrations for AX duty

Removed dumb-@SS wire nuts from PO

Cut a passenger floor board

Templates saved if your stripping your car

This will do

Tidied up the lines a bit here
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

And here

Old lead battery

weighed 43 1/4 lbs.

Found my missing chuck for the drill, Ha!

Quick wipe down

Lithium battery weighs just under 6 lbs.

Add 2 1/4 lbs. for battery mount

Quality battery mount from Rennline
Old 10-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Quick, and easy

Drops in just like the old battery did.

Battery has been sitting in the basement for over 9 months, but the battery remains almost fully charged

Topping off with the Battery Tender Jr. This is the charger expressly recommended by Voiltphreaks
Old 10-03-2018, 01:58 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
still waiting to bump into you/your 964 at bill's shop. its been a good read all along.
When we do finally meet, the beer and pizza from Jack's Abbey are on me.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks great Foxman.

Would you mind sharing what you used to clean up the area under the battery? That project is in my near future.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Looks great Foxman.

Would you mind sharing what you used to clean up the area under the battery? That project is in my near future.
I just hit it with some Goof Off Degreaser and some Speed Shine.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:36 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Interesting. I was thinking something more aggressive for the surface rust. I'll give that a shot first!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Interesting. I was thinking something more aggressive for the surface rust. I'll give that a shot first!
tjb616, you’re right, my error Sir. I also recall hitting it with some polishing compound. Not rubbing compound, just the polishing version. Best to lay a little wax down afterward when using polishing compound, but I just went with some Speedshine.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Foxman;15332630]Thanks CBA, how are you liking the new BBS wheels??

Love the wheels... I feel the need to clean them after every drive sometimes as they are like jewelry. I always hated cleaning wheels on my other cars but these one are a pleasure. You can see what they would look like on your car. I think you are putting a roll bar in right? If so which one? I'm wanting to do it but afraid of not being able to put my seat back all the way. and hitting my head on it. 6'3". Thanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=CBA;15339210]
Originally Posted by Foxman
Thanks CBA, how are you liking the new BBS wheels??

Love the wheels... I feel the need to clean them after every drive sometimes as they are like jewelry. I always hated cleaning wheels on my other cars but these one are a pleasure. You can see what they would look like on yours. I think you are putting a roll bar in right? If so which one? I'm wanting to do it but afraid of not being able to put my seat back all the way. and hitting my head on it. 6'3". Thanks.
i have a DAS roll bar in my 993 https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html

Great roll bar, but heavy. The bar behind the seat is offset to allow seats to slide most all the way back. Works for my 6’ 4” frame and long legs.

But going a different route with the 964. Plan is to make our own bar without a transverse bar to keep things light, but still allow the bar to bolt in and out of the car. But first I need to get the sunroof deleted.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:59 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Foxman;15339241]
Originally Posted by CBA

i have a DAS roll bar in my 993 https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html

Great roll bar, but heavy. The bar behind the seat is offset to allow seats to slide most all the way back. Works for my 6’ 4” frame and long legs.

But going a different route with the 964. Plan is to make our own bar without a transverse bar to keep things light, but still allow the bar to bolt in and out of the car. But first I need to get the sunroof deleted.
10-4 on the DAS.... I totally forgot about your 993 post as I had seen it before. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Phase II of the A/C delete is complete as I removed the compressor last night. I had to remove the left wheel to access and disconnect the A/C lines inside the wheel well. The project took about fifteen minutes to remove the A/C, and about two hours to clean the wheel well and fender liner. Doh.

Any how the car is is now much cleaner now (still have two wheel wells to clean), and weighs about 20 lbs. less with the compressor and frunk hoses removed. There’s another 2 lbs, to be lost by amputating the A/C bracket, but that’s best done with the engine out.

Phase III is removal of the condenser up front. From what I’ve read I should be able to do this through the left front wheel well with the bottom skirt (in my case splitter) removed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Venturing again into the unknown.

Jacked and removed left rear wheel to access A/C lines

Thirty years of dirt in wheel well

Cleaned up with Goof Off Cleaner and Degreasers

A/C lines disconnected

I pulled the rubber seat as well

Leaving this nice hole in the wheel well/frunk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig