Muffler options to go with B&B headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:55 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Muffler options to go with B&B headers

Merry X'mas all,

I got a B&B header for x'mas, now I've searched the archives trying to find which muffler would have the best flow and an awesome sound. I've read that it is not the engine design that makes the exhaust note, but it's the muffler. So I'm kinda looking for the Ferrari whine, which would sound really cool coming from a Porsche. I've been told go with B&B mufflers, Fabspeed (which has a muffler to fit the B&B headers), or a universal muffler like magnaflow, dynomax. I have someone that can do the piping (mandrel bending) I just have to provide the muffler or mufflers.

The reason I'm kinda leaning away from the Fabspeed is because my first muffler was a Fabspeed dual and it sounded like a V8 Mustang or Camaro, I don't what that. I want the whiny Ferrari exhaust note.... hehe gives me chills thinking bout it.

If anyone has any pics or sound files I would very much appreciate them, or any input.

Happy New Year

GP
Old 12-26-2003, 10:29 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both headers and mufflers affect the sound.
Ferrari sound...hmmmmm....you'll need 6 more cylinders and rev up to 8000rpm. But seriously, I got mine halfway there. Let me have your email and I'll send you some sound/videoclips.

The Camaro V8 sound is due mainly to the unequal length stock headers that you used your muffler with.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:59 AM
GP964
Racer

Hi Pzull,

My email addy is KZ1L59@yahoo.com

Thanks

GP
Old 12-27-2003, 03:14 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

U Got Mail! Let me know what you think.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:11 PM
kahuna
Advanced

A quick search turned up this gem in addition to numerous others
B&B header muffler
Old 12-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Does your 964 have one tailpipe (on the right side) or one on each of the right and left sides?
Old 12-27-2003, 09:32 PM
GP964
Racer

Hi Pzull,

Thanks for the sound files, they sound great, real clost to the ferrari whine. What type of muffler/headers did you use? and pics would be great. I have a B&B header coming soon, but don't know what mufflers. Let me know Thx. GP
Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Hi GP,
It sounds even better revving up at WOT, but totally quiet (quieter than stock) when crusing at constant rpm.

I had custom 32" mild steel headers with ceramic coating (cheaper and better than stainless IMHO) made by Racer's group. 4 primaries were equal length but two were about 2 inches off (Racer's group said "you get what you pay for" anyway for street/amatuer track its not going to be a big deal)
I think the B&B's are about 24" average but all 6 primaries are uneual with error at + - 3inches - measured my friend's.

I fabricated the connector pipes and used 2 straight through magnaflow mufflers with pipes (cant remember if they were 2.25" or 2.5" but this is important!!! need to check notes)

Here's the system on engine:
Old 12-27-2003, 10:33 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

This is pic with headers, collector and secondary crossover to tune for lower revs. My exhaunt guy fabricated the X-pipe using two mandrell U-bends - made it easier for him with lifesize blueprint to follow. Important to ensure left and right U-bends are cut at centerline when joined otherwise internals will have a ridge which will cause turbulence:
Old 12-28-2003, 12:45 AM
GP964
Racer

How much were the headers from the Racer's Group?
GP
Old 12-28-2003, 01:00 AM
GP964
Racer

Hi Pzull,

Awesome setup, and great sounding. Which magnaflow mufflers were used? and size? I might go the same way. How can it be quieter than stock at crusing speeds? Notice any hp gains? What do you mean by 32" and 24" is that the pipe length? I've followed and read your links regarding exhaust system and thought shorter and equal is better? which result in less back pressure. is that true? Is there an advantage with Racer Groups 32" vs B&B's 24"?

I know factory piping is 3" (correct me if i'm wrong), is there a reason why one would go with a muffler that has 2.25-2.75 opening vs 3"? I'm trying to understand what are collectors and secondary crossovers for low end tune?

Thanks again

GP
Old 12-28-2003, 01:15 AM
GP964
Racer

Almost forgot, thanks kahuna great find on the posts.

GP
Old 12-28-2003, 04:40 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

GP,

I used two of Magnaflow #14335 2.25" pipes 4X9 mufflers.
All pipes after headers were 2.25" OD (outer diameter)
Headers were 1.75" OD and 32" long
At idle and part throttle acceleration don't expect a low smooth exhaust note. It has metallic overtones like valve noise at idle and rushing air at part throttle more than 1/2 open. When brand new there will seem like a little lack of low bass but it will mellow out and the bass will start coming in after abouit 3 months of daily use.

I chose primaries with length at 32" as this tunes for 6,100 rpm. 24 inch primary length tunes for 8,000 rpm....at least according to the header design software I have.

I chose racer's group because they gave me the least sales hype and they race so they know what they're talking about. Their header design is very close to the original porsche motorsport design. But most importantly, their design was one where making their off-the-shelf 26" primaries into 32" is a matter of adding 5" of additional straight pipes at the end of the primaries just before the collector (that cone like thing merges the three primaries)..

Just from memory I think the mild steel headers were $475 and the ceramic coating was $250 thereabouts. I think steel prices have shot up with Bush's tariffs slapped on cheaper Chinese steel so I don;t know what the prices are now. Stainless was I think about $750 or $850. Don;t get mild steel unless you are going to ceramic coat it (it will otherwise rust)

Beats me why it's quieter than or at least same as stock when cruising but I;ve swapped cars with other 964 drivers and they confirm it. But be aware that at full throttle from 2,500 rpm up it is LOUD. You can hear it from inside a Lexus with windows up and driving 100m behind!...but it's a pleasing loud not annoying, at least that's what most people say.

Regarding Ferrari like sound, it sounds closer to it when in driver's seat with windows down (you can't really hear it with windows up even at full throttle) rather than from pedestrian's point of view as you zoom by.

The hardest bit is fabricating the crossover (X-pipe) so that width and height fits the mufflers and space behind the bumper. You're exhaust guy needs to have experience with building custom systems as opposed to just fitting bolt on stuff
Old 12-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

If you only use one tail pipe on the right side I might have the least expensive best alternative to suggest -- and it is a factory part. Having said this, in reality, no exhaust system will make a noticeable performance difference much like no air filter will. Type 964 (and Type 993) engine suffer far more from a need for additional induction.

P.S. The factory pipe going into the muffler is 2.75".

P.P.S. Is the B&B unit made from 304, 321, 347 and are you pleased with the quality of its construction?

Last edited by Robert Linton; 12-28-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:21 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Robert,

I've seen all the **** (obscenely sexy stuff) you've been posting the last few months.....never saw the prices......are you saying they are ALL going to be affordable?? Where can I get a catalog and price list? Time to shop for next christmas!!

Anyway, I have measured and feel the difference with the exhaust system change. This is reinforced each time I drive other 964s, even those slightly lightened ones. Maybe it's time for me to do a Gtech meetup with the local owners here again to do a comparative study again to re-verify since I've read so much comments from experienced people here to the contrary.

Quick Reply: Muffler options to go with B&B headers