Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB 9301 1994 Motor vehicle theft law enforcement act - Part Marking info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default TSB 9301 1994 Motor vehicle theft law enforcement act - Part Marking info needed

So I have posted this numerous times before and I am trying to determine if there are differences between late MY 93 M718 coded 94 MY cars and late vin number 94 MY cars stickers.

So this is only for those that have 1994 R coded US spec MY cars. This was also added to 1989 MY cars for the same reason although I don't know if the stickers varied.

If you can post pictures of your stickers preferably in the front trunk underside of the lid. These are usually the cleanest on the car. Preferably block out your last three digits so we don't see your number unless you don't care although if you can give an idea of miles condition of the car and if it is a late build or early that would help me out.

I have been looking at a number of 1994 MY cars mostly turbos and I am seeing some cars which appear too perfect and possibly a reproduction of the vin stickers. Since the values are so high and we are seeing fake option stickers on some cars, I am trying to see if my assumptions are correct based on how the different vin number stickers look. These should be applied to all 1994 US spec 964's delivered to the US. (Canadian cars don't appear to have these although US spec) So this should include all R coded US spec Turbos, RSA's, Speedsters, C2's and C4 WB cars.

I will post mine to start. My car has 38k miles is as clean as any I have seen I am sure it is original paint and stickers. As you can see it is not overly crisp in appearance. The background behind the dot matrix number is grayish and the PORSCHE script is not a dark black. I have seen dozens of these and most everyone i have seen appears to look like mine but that doesn't mean things didn't change over the production of the car.

I don't want to say anything about any cars in particular in case I am wrong although I have seen some cars that are too perfect for the miles and the stickers appear to be replaced with ones that look correct but actually too good. So I hope i can get some help I would hate to say a car has had paintwork when it hasn't but the more I look at it I keep coming to the same conclusion.

Thx in advance

Attached Images
Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Cobalt,

you weren't kidding when you said yours is clean... My car could not get there, regardless of the elbow grease I would put in.

R car here, but ROW spec... Can't help much.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words. I was lucky to find this car in such excellent shape. It only took me a year to locate back in the early 2000's. The scary part is my track car which is a dedicated car is almost as clean and I also concours it between track days.

Doesn't look like I have many takers though. I may never get to the bottom of this.

I took this picture again not very clear but as you can see this does appear to be quite different than the stickers on my car and all the others i have seen. So if anyone has one that looks like this just a yah or nah will be helpful.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-27-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Do the 993 VIN stickers have the tan or grey backing?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Do the 993 VIN stickers have the tan or grey backing?
I don't believe the 993's came with these. They were only added to the 89 and 94 MY cars AFAIK this was because the speedster ( '89 & '94 ) did not have a central locking system therefor no functioning alarm. The DOT had some law in place that cars without functioning alarms had to have all key panels & components marked with vin stickers for theft purposes. Not 100% sure of the actual requirement but that is the gist of it. I recall my fathers Nissan at the time having them it did not have a factory alarm. I believe the 993's didn't have a model without alarm standard and therefor did not require them just as the 90-93 964's didn't.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

This if from my 1994 C2. While I haven’t owned it it’s full life, I’m highly confidant it’s original paint. Car has 78,000 mi.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ interesting. Sure looks original and clean. Apparently there are different versions of these stickers. The Porsche lettering seems less crisp than the one and much more so than mine. This is the first time i have seen the color of the car come through I am wondering if there were different ways to remove the backing and some left the paper backing on? I don't believe these were installed by Porsche Ag but by PCNA.

I am assuming the rest of the stickers on your car look the same?

I appreciate the effort.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is mine with and without flash.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

That adds a new twist. Same stickers with and without flash show differently. Also odd that yours are printed differently? I guess there are more variables than I expected.

Thx
Old 02-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I have red as well, thought I’d post my ‘89. The stickers appear pink, maybe the same material as the tail lights ?
All original, each panel has been paint metered.
no flash

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

This is very helpful.

So far nobody seems to have the dark printed Porsche as the one i posted. Although tat could be lighting and maybe fresh toner in the printer? I think i need to take some more photos of mine with and without flash. It would appear the 89's are the same.

BTW it would appear you finally found your car?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
This is very helpful.

So far nobody seems to have the dark printed Porsche as the one i posted. Although tat could be lighting and maybe fresh toner in the printer? I think i need to take some more photos of mine with and without flash. It would appear the 89's are the same.

BTW it would appear you finally found your car?
I did and thank you for all the offline help and suggestions.
RE the stickers....I think your gut instinct is probably right. It's a shame that people are going to such lengths to deceive buyers. I hope I'm wrong !!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

i do think photo quality makes a difference. I remember as I was posting thinking to myself that the porsche script looked darker in the photo than it does on the car with the human eye. How many years do you think that these cars have drawn the attention of people that would perceive it "worth" forging a sticker? I would think that reprinting a sticker, and getting a dot matric printer to print the vin is a lot of effort. It would have to be a low mileage car to really try and pass off new paint and stickers as original wouldn't it?

I am sure you have examples of such cars. Just boggles my mind what some people will try and do to make a few dollars...
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

How do they look under a blacklight (uv)?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

I guess the the real question is why would someone go to all tbe trouble to do this? Only thing I can think of is to hide an accident and the subsequent diminished value. But a paint meter doesn’t lie. Unless it’s been a bare metal repaint but even then modern paints aren’t going to measure out the same as the late 80s and early 90s single stage factory paint, right?
Just seems like a lot of effort to try and reproduce something that will never have the natural wear and patina that comes with time.

Quick Reply: TSB 9301 1994 Motor vehicle theft law enforcement act - Part Marking info needed