Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB 9301 1994 Motor vehicle theft law enforcement act - Part Marking info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
How do they look under a blacklight (uv)?
Excellent question. Unfortunately I broke the lens on my UV light. I will have to see if I can round up another. Not sure I will be able to check the car in question with a UV light though.

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
I guess the the real question is why would someone go to all tbe trouble to do this? Only thing I can think of is to hide an accident and the subsequent diminished value. But a paint meter doesn’t lie. Unless it’s been a bare metal repaint but even then modern paints aren’t going to measure out the same as the late 80s and early 90s single stage factory paint, right?
Just seems like a lot of effort to try and reproduce something that will never have the natural wear and patina that comes with time.
Lets just say gut instinct. I have looked at so many of these cars and I have seen some spectacular examples and some low mileage misfits. At this time things don't add up in my mind and if anything are too perfect. With pristine examples brining huge money I can definitely see someone going through serious lengths and there are some subtle markers I see that are triggering my ??? meter. This is just one of them. If I am on the right track I have great respect for the work done otherwise I am marveled by the preserved state. I couldn't imagine it possible for the miles and I am pretty OCD when it comes to these things.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I’d be interested to know what other “subtle markers” are raising your eyebrows. Simply as a learning exercise for me to watch out for the the future...
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

oh! I thought this was just an educational exercise. Curious to know the details of the car you are looking at. I understand if you don't want to share while you are evaluating. but let us know after you decide to buy or pass!

Quick Reply: TSB 9301 1994 Motor vehicle theft law enforcement act - Part Marking info needed