Sponsored by:

More Water Ingress

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Water Ingress

Hi, following my previous Water Ingress post I traced the problems to underseat grommets in the back, floor grommets in the back and a really badly placed hole from the alarm install on the rear bulkhead with no grommet at all. I am planning to treat all the areas around the holes and then replace the grommets but using a seam sealer/silicone to ensure no water can get back in. However after a few days of tracing water coming through the seals using talc, I have established that, none of the window seals leak, the sunroof is leak free and I still have water in the front footwells. Bonnet seal will be replaced, but I have now discovered that water is running under the front of the screen and off the side of the under bonnet panel which covers the heater servo's etc. The water is running down the bulkhead and settling next to the plastic heater elbows that fit through the bulkhead. The sponge seal is absorbing the water and leaking it inside the car where it finds its way ( via running along various routes) to the front footwells. Is there any way of replacing the old sponge on the heater elbows with something waterproof, or any good tips/fixes for keeping the water from getting in this way?

absorbent sponge is transferring the water into the car.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Cheapest method would be to use a self-adhesive high-density foam gasket (found at a home store). I'll end up doing similar myself since I don't see the need to otherwise buy new elbows.

Likely with that and the bonnet seal the water will stay outside where it belongs.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deserion
Cheapest method would be to use a self-adhesive high-density foam gasket (found at a home store). I'll end up doing similar myself since I don't see the need to otherwise buy new elbows.

Likely with that and the bonnet seal the water will stay outside where it belongs.
I was thinking along those lines, and I will do that, but I like the belt and braces approach so was hoping to find a solution to the water getting that far. It looks as if the plastic servo motor cover is a bit too short, but I think it is the correct length, but there doesn't seem to be a way to stop any water which gets that far running off the edge of the servo cover, as it needs to drain to somewhere. As you say, hopefully a new bonnet seal will help. But It would be nice to stop it getting in completely.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 AM
5hrine
Instructor

I hope not! Avoided most rust issues so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:08 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had a very similar issue with water ingress into the drivers footwell, that I was never able to trace...
Recently I also discovered water ingress in the passengers footwell, which was previously OK!

The car was scheduled for a service and the installation of new HVAC dash fans.
So whilst the HVAC unit was out I asked them to check the HVAC drain plugs to make sure they were not blocked and causing the water issues.

They advised that a split bonnet seal would cause the water issues, probably via the heater elbows you mentioned.
My bonnet seal was split in both top corners, so I'd recommend getting this done asap.

Hope this has resolved my issue, but I'll probably look to do something with the heater elbows too.
Thanks for the info.
Top man
Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964George
I've had a very similar issue with water ingress into the drivers footwell, that I was never able to trace...
Recently I also discovered water ingress in the passengers footwell, which was previously OK!

The car was scheduled for a service and the installation of new HVAC dash fans.
So whilst the HVAC unit was out I asked them to check the HVAC drain plugs to make sure they were not blocked and causing the water issues.

They advised that a split bonnet seal would cause the water issues, probably via the heater elbows you mentioned.
My bonnet seal was split in both top corners, so I'd recommend getting this done asap.

Hope this has resolved my issue, but I'll probably look to do something with the heater elbows too.
Thanks for the info.
Top man
I have ordered a new bonnet seal and I am going to use some closed cell foam to make new heater elbow gaskets, hopefully this will stop it. I may also try to channel the water away from that area by grafting some sort of drain tube onto the plastic servo cover so it runs out below the car rather than down into the heater elbow area.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Is item 10 the heater elbows we're talking about?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Is item 10 the heater elbows we're talking about?

Yes, they go through the firewall/bulkhead, there is a foam gasket on one side. Not sure if they attach to the firewall/bulkhead or just to the hose/ HVAC
Old 02-27-2018, 02:20 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Thanks for confirming the location.

Originally Posted by 5hrine
I have ordered a new bonnet seal and I am going to use some closed cell foam to make new heater elbow gaskets, hopefully this will stop it. I may also try to channel the water away from that area by grafting some sort of drain tube onto the plastic servo cover so it runs out below the car rather than down into the heater elbow area.
On the below diagram items 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, all relate to the water drainage.
Item 16 is a a guide and item 17 is a check valve.
It's worth checking that all the tubes are clear and all parts working OK?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:33 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Thanks for confirming the location.

On the below diagram items 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, all relate to the water drainage.
Item 16 is a a guide and item 17 is a check valve.
It's worth checking that all the tubes are clear and all parts working OK?

That's good advice. Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 03:07 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...se_Removal.htm
According to this pelican tech article, the ducts are removed from below, see pics 17, 18, 19
You can see two types of foam gasket in pic 17
I wonder if they're just not connected right...
Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM
5hrine
Instructor

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...se_Removal.htm
According to this pelican tech article, the ducts are removed from below, see pics 17, 18, 19
You can see two types of foam gasket in pic 17
I wonder if they're just not connected right...
I think the problem with the foam on the heater elbows is that it is very old and brittle. Probably not doing much as it is. I am hoping to get some time to have a proper look and try to seal up the old foam with some new. As soon as you start looking into a problem it seems to become more and more involved. The interior is all out so now's the time to solve it. I have no garage so that doesn't help either.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I’d replace the frunk seal and keep water out. The seal around the HVAC elbows was not designed to keep water out of the passenger compartment. Water is entering via the frunk seal or the windscreenseal, or both. I suppose water could also enter via the sunroof if the drains aren’t connected and operating properly. But IMHO the key is keeping water outside where it belongs.

Last edited by 540964; 02-28-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-28-2018, 02:36 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by 540964
I’d replace the frunk seal and keep water out. The seal around the HVAC elbows was not designed to keep water out of the passenger compartment. Water is entering via the frunk seal or the windscreenseal, or both. I suppose water could also enter via the sunroof if the drains aren’t connected and operating properly. But IMHO the key is keeping water outside where it belongs.
Agreed. I was just thinking of taking a belt and braces approach in case any water got past the new trunk seal.

Quick Reply: More Water Ingress