Guards Red touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Guards Red touch up paint

Anyone find a good match?

I noticed PO attempted to touch up a few spots and the paint used was too dark. Almost a blood red.

I picked up an ounce of DR ColorChip and have the same problem. The touch up paint is too dark and this is in the engine compartment which has been out of the sun.

Im sure on the body the contrast will be even worse.

Suggestions????

TIA
Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Can you still buy those Porsche touch up tubes? I had a couple in my tool drawer from years ago. I touched up a couple spots on my 968 in the door sill area a few months ago and it was a perfect match.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:37 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Looks like they do. Thank you.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 PM
kricci
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked up some touch up paint at suncoast - it's pretty good for 27 year old paint...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

A few years back I touched up a guards red 928 with the porsche touch up, it was a perfect match. I would definitely start there.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Checkout automotivetouchup.com, they have all the factory colors and clearcoat. You can get it in brush-in-bottle, paint pens and aerosol spray cans.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:09 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Guards Red color comes in I believe 3 different color shades (I found out the hard way after my painter failed to order the correct shade after my cowl rust repair)
The shade I used was under the hood original spec color L 80K (touch up paint Acryl Lackstift # 911 095 932 20 80 K)
Look at the label under the hood to determine the original Guards Red color application.

Last edited by velocitylover; 02-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Could be wrong shade or it could be fade. Reds in general fade far more than most colors over time. I have seen some guards red cars look almost orange. I once looked at a 911 in red that sat under a car port for years. The back end was orange the front was deep red. He should have covered it or turned it around every so many months. Years of exposure to the sun will do that.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:11 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by velocitylover
Guards Red color comes in I believe 3 different color shades (I found out the hard way after my painter failed to order the correct shade after my cowl rust repair)
The shade I used was under the hood original spec color 80K (touch up paint Acryl Lackstift # 911 095 932 20 80 K)
Look at the label under the hood to determine the original Guards Red color application.
Thanks, I'm gonna search around for that label before I order.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Could be wrong shade or it could be fade. Reds in general fade far more than most colors over time. I have seen some guards red cars look almost orange. I once looked at a 911 in red that sat under a car port for years. The back end was orange the front was deep red. He should have covered it or turned it around every so many months. Years of exposure to the sun will do that.
This is a concern as well and one reason I started on the scratches and chips under the deck lid. I figured this area had the least exposure to sun so possibly the least fading or color change. Also, I figured under the deck lid is a good place to practice and perfect my chip touch up technique.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Finding a good touch up paint should be easy. Finding one that matches 20+ year old paint not so much. I recently compound polished my guards red and it really brought it back to life. Removed some minor oxidization and the usual swirl marks and the paint looks brand new. I used Dr. Colorchip to fill in a few small rock chips and was amazed at how well it worked. I was very skeptical at first, but could not be happier with the end result. I tried to show a friend the areas I touched up the other day and literally couldn't find a few of them.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have seen guards red fade (oxidize) and I have also seen it accumulate dirt making it darker than it really should be. If you have a decent amount of paint on the car I would recommend performing the touch up and then polishing the paint using a two step process. Polishing will remove the oxidation and any embedded dirt. The 928 I touched up had both of those issues and in the end the touch up paint match was perfect.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

My car has received a lot of "love" over the years which has resulted in some very thin spots. I need to be careful when waxing or polishing it to avoid the primer showing through.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
My car has received a lot of "love" over the years which has resulted in some very thin spots. I need to be careful when waxing or polishing it to avoid the primer showing through.
That’s unfortunate Rich, that will definitely make a match more difficult assuming you do have some oxidation or embedded dirt. That’s actually the biggest issue I have with “detailers”. They use aggressive pads and polish to quickly burn through paint and while it may look good for a few years your left with a car that has no additional paint to work with which means next step is a respray. Hopefully not the case for your car but that touch up work I had to do on that 928 was because a previous detailer burned through the edges on the fenders/hood and a few other spots.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:34 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I've decided I'm OK with it either way. If I never have is painted, it will eventually develop a nice patina in the form of a great wax job with areas of primer showing through in the right light.

If I do repaint it, I'll have a chance to fix a few other issues the right way.

No matter what I have decided it is all good. ; - )
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by velocitylover
The shade I used was under the hood original spec color L 80K (touch up paint Acryl Lackstift # 911 095 932 20 80 K)
Mine is L 80 K as well so I ordered this from Sunset Porsche.

I tried the Dr. Color Chip stuff that I have and let it dry over night and then removed the excess. No dice. Still way too dark.

Doing some more research, Porsche does in fact have multiple color codes for Guards Red but they all appear to be the same until the 2003 Boxster which is clearly darker. Hopefully that's what I have and the new stuff will be lighter to match my car. In 2004 Porsche went back to the lighter/brighter color and then in 2005 and on back to the darker Guards Red.

Quick Reply: Guards Red touch up paint