Sponsored by:

Rs/lightweight carpet 964

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Rs/lightweight carpet 964

Hi guys, I'm halfway through stripping my interior for a lightweight carpet. Although the appbiz kit is reasonably priced, getting it to new zealand isn't. So I have decided to make my own. I've ordered 3 meters or carpet and binding and am buying a sewing machine! If I fail I'd only have lost $200 and I'll buy the appbiz kit. I'll start this thread with a question and update it as I progress.

Has anybody installed similar and retained seatbelts? I cannot work out how to make this part work. I don't wanto put the original bit back in but if I have to that's ok. I'm hoping someone can show me pictures of how they did it.

cheers

Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Just to save any confusion I'm not pointing at anything in particular just showing that there is a 1" gap behind trim. Main thing I'm confused about is how to I cover the seatbelt coil and the cabin pressure vent thing.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Dingo

There are OEM RS covers available to cover the belt reels, but they’re absurdly expensive. You can see them pictures in the 10th photo in this 993 RS build thread by Ilko. The car is magnificent. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-to-shine.html

Old 02-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

And here’s a recent RS install thread I posted in the 993 Forum that may be of some help. I just ripped out the vents, and cut holes in the MLV to allow the vents to breath through the thin RS carpet. I don’t think the vents do very much. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-install.html

I hope your car is cleaner than mine proved to be. I just ripped out the RS carpet in my 964, and in addition to the usual mouse turds in back I discovered rust from water leaking into the driver’s side. The car is now totally gutted - even had to pull the pedal cluster which I am now refurbishing as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:16 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

take a look at robt964 thread, his is with Appbiz carpet, he may have use some light foam, look at his thread there is lots of great pictures, it is very inspiring
Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I just ripped out the vents, and cut holes in the MLV to allow the vents to breath through the thin RS carpet. I don’t think the vents do very much.
If anything, you want to block the vent openings. Otherwise you will constantly be pushing hot air into the cabin from the heat exchangers. You are basically bypassing the temperature mixing chambers in the front trunk.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:51 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that my doors didnt shut very well with the windows closed if the vents were blocked up. I ended up getting the rs style covers from southbound in the end.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Dingo, I fitted a normal Lakewell carpet set and measured it out. It was 10m2. The RS carpet would be even more.

There is a LHD RS appbiz kit in Auckland looking for a new home. It WILL be a lot cheaper than you can do yourself. PM me if interested and I can put you in contact.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
And here’s a recent RS install thread I posted in the 993 Forum that may be of some help. I just ripped out the vents, and cut holes in the MLV to allow the vents to breath through the thin RS carpet. I don’t think the vents do very much. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-install.html

I hope your car is cleaner than mine proved to be. I just ripped out the RS carpet in my 964, and in addition to the usual mouse turds in back I discovered rust from water leaking into the driver’s side. The car is now totally gutted - even had to pull the pedal cluster which I am now refurbishing as well.
Hey Foxman! Yes I have read your carpet thread many times, along with boxey911's carpet install! Think I'll be referring to those when I'm doing the job!
The car was unbelievably clean in the back I was starting to feel guilty pulling it apart! I made sure I pulled things out as carefully as I could.
Oh man that sucks, I havnt found any rust as yet but the seat bases were under water so I'll have to try work out where that come from.

Glad you are alive, havnt seen you on here for a while!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kos11-12

take a look at robt964 thread, his is with Appbiz carpet, he may have use some light foam, look at his thread there is lots of great pictures, it is very inspiring
Hi kos11-12 thanks for that I'll check it out today when I get a chance! Inspiration is something I need right now haha!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Seat bases under water could be the rear window seal or sunroof drains (if you have one). Tape paper towels over the rear panel and put heaps of water over the rear window and sunroof (if you have one). It will show you where it’s coming from.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Seat bases under water could be the rear window seal or sunroof drains (if you have one). Tape paper towels over the rear panel and put heaps of water over the rear window and sunroof (if you have one). It will show you where it’s coming from.
It's absolutely pouring here today, maybe I'll park it outside and do the paper towel trick. Will let you know! Btw just purchased an appbiz carpet kit 😉
Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
It's absolutely pouring here today, maybe I'll park it outside and do the paper towel trick. Will let you know! Btw just purchased an appbiz carpet kit ��
Good to broker a win/win deal. Chris is a good man. He had a 964 in the US, then imported it to NZ and wrote it off before he had a chance to fit the parts he brought with him. I’ve benefited from many of his spare parts

Unless he’s been holding out on me, I think the carpet is the last item. I got most of the rest, including a very nice car cover.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM

Good to broker a win/win deal. Chris is a good man. He had a 964 in the US, then imported it to NZ and wrote it off before he had a chance to fit the parts he brought with him. I’ve benefited from many of his spare parts
Yeah thanks heaps for that! It's like it was meant to be as he will be in town on Tuesday and will be bringing it with him! Sounds like a great guy on the phone, looking forward to meeting him. Yeah he was saying, I would be devastated! Wonder what other "spare parts" he has on hand!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided to do an authentic RS carpet install but I’ll probably block off the rear vents and not use any seatbelt covers (for weight reduction hmm ha). Today I just cut all the unnecessary brackets out along with the lock post. I also removed the windows to mount the carpet properly with the vinyl pull strips. I’ll post photos and update as I install the carpet.

Quick Reply: Rs/lightweight carpet 964