Adrian's book..... worth the money!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 01:51 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Well said Jon, I totally agree
I'll third this. Adrian, I still find it hard to believe that someone has taken the time and effort to write a book about what is to me--all things considered--the best 911 ever produced. I can't thank you enough for your time and effort.

Besides, we now have something our 993 brethren don't have--a book written unique to our model. Bragging rights!

Last edited by Randall G.; 12-16-2003 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2003 | 02:18 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Got my 4.20 lbs package in the mail this morning. And 12 hours later, I've finally finish reading it from cover to cover. Although I don't understand everything in it, but all I can say is "WOW"! This book should be refered to as the "964 Enthusiast's Bible". A job well done Adrian!

Old 12-16-2003 | 03:23 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Adrian,

You've put a chunk of your life into this project. Thank you.

You got a superb result (by all accounts - I'm still waiting for mine). Well done.

It must be very hard under those circumstances not to take even a tiny negative as a personal slight. You don't need to - the couple of points people have raised are small and have received perfectly reasonable responses from you. The fact that they are raised is a sign of our respect, not a criticism.

Once again, thanks!
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:07 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear John,
It is just one of those things. When somebody says they are disappointed even for a small reason it sort of defeats the purpose. In a few weeks maybe I would not be so sensitive. I am very new to this, it is my first book, I put my life and soul into it and enduring a tragedy in the middle. I was desperately trying not to disappoint anyone and whilst I knew it was impossible I was hoping, if you know what I mean.
I am sure I shall learn to get over such things. I have to actually but it will take some time. What I have to do is not to try and explain myself anymore. I will not be ignoring anyone I just do not want to debate why something is this way, or why something is not in there. There are many reasons and some stuff was left out deliberately for a variety of reasons. I also had a publisher advising me and they do know what they are talking about.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:46 AM
Wsp964
Racer

Hello Adrian,

Maybe you saw my post about saying goodbye to the 964 board due to a 993.

Your book came in 2 days before my 964 left. Boy what a book! I love every page of it, especially as I am not the best mechanic in the world !

Congrats, all I can hope for is that somebody with the same knowledge on the 993 will also make such a bible !

Tks for putting in some pics of my 964 .... makes it a very good souvenir. The buyer was also pretty impressed bout his "new" Porsche being in a book. It gave him a good feeling that his new toy used to be in the hands of somebody that cared.

Again, well done Adrian,

ex-WSP964 ....... WSP993
Old 12-16-2003 | 02:50 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

You must be extremely sensitive... I gave true honest feedback. No BS and even more candid than the way you responded (but having read a lot of the posts you contribute to I know by now that is your style, so I paid no attention to the way you say it, and more to the content of it).

Not once did I use the word "disappointed". I even made the comment that I understood that not all could be put into a single book. I acknowledge the fact that I missed the gear ratios information in chapter five and that I would read it.

I just went over my comments and still can't see how it could be taken so out of context...

Glad to see a lot of forum members are trying to cheer you up for the awful and inconsiderate way I have treat it you... …I am just puzzled by your reaction…

I will restate it again: as well as other folks here I am grateful for your effort and contribution to this forum and for the time and effort you have taken to put this book together. It is one of the few books I was really looking forward to having and it was worth the wait. I took one entry that mentioned a few areas for improvement and added what I felt was good for a future edition (you might not be looking to do another one just now but God knows you might in the future). I am really sorry you have taken it so hard and to heart…
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:11 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Amen, Wachuko. I didn't think you were really criticizing Adrian. However, I did want to make it clear to him that his efforts were appreciated by everyone.
Old 12-16-2003 | 07:53 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the best observation IMHO is that Adrians reaction is one that would only come from somebody who had honestly poured their heart and soul into what they were doing. It speaks volumes about what must have gone into this book and the person who wrote it (and makes my impatience to receive it all the greater)!

When I read the reply to Jaime's post my reaction was "Huh?", But I understand that a labor of love such as this project is extremely personal - its like giving birth to a part of yourself (behave Mr. Raby!)

Given the amount of anticipation for this book and the expectations placed on Adrian by the good people here (who appreciate his depth of knowledge and thorough nature) I think the sensitivity displayed is more than understandable, even if the criticism is wrongly percieved!

I hate to sound sycophantic, but I can honestly state that my Porsche ownership is hugely enhanced by these forums and by Adrians postings here!

HB<------$0.02

Damn, I want my copy now!!!! (why, oh why did I suggest it to my wife as a christmas present???!)
Old 12-16-2003 | 08:37 PM
investlt
Instructor

The tilte of this thread says it all.

The book is worth the money (and then some). All of the responses have shown a close community wanting to share their thoughts with a fellow 964'er. I personally have not read anything that would give me the impression that this book is anything but excellent.

As others have said, thank you Adrian for all of your hard work in producing this tome.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:34 AM
GMS
Pro

Got the book today. Adrian, it's excellent!!!!!! We will be using at our shop. I sugest everyone here writes to Porsche AG and demands that Adrian is put in charge of all Porsche technical publications from now on.
(of course, that pre-supposes that Porsche will ever get round to actually printing any technical information again...)
Old 12-17-2003 | 03:31 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear GMS,
I think they may just leave that up to people like me from now on. This way they get it done cheaper
To all those who have offered their happiness and satisfaction at what has been achieved thank you very much.
The "review process affect". Just think to yourself how you all felt when you submitted a paper for review at school or uni and it was criticised or you were told you left something out. Same feeling but 100 times worse. I am afraid unless you have done this kind of thing you cannot possibly understand. It is very very personal. People are paying money for something I shall be known for long after I am no longer here. Takes time to toughen up to these things.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: For those who ordered from Amazon. Apparently Amazon do not purchase direct from the publishing houses but from a major US based distributor. This means the publisher ships to the distributor and then the distributor ships to Amazon then Amazon ships to the customer. This adds a delay period of up to two weeks.
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:38 AM
dove
Banned

I feel that wachuko did nothing wrong in mentioning that some details of Adrians book were missing he is after the buying public, doesent he have a right as its his hard earned money buying the book to say something if he's not happy with a certain aspect of the book?Wachuko also goes on to praise the book if you read his post.
The freedom to voice ones opinion is so important,as a certain nations people will tell you.
Just my outside Rennlist member opinion.
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:47 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hang on, hang on.

This is veering about all over the place!

I think we can all agree that...

1. Adrian's book is excellent.
2. People are always going to say that they thought something might be covered that isn't.
3. In spite of this, they still acknowledge that Adrian's book is excellent.
4. In spite of this, people will still feel something has been left out...

It's when people start saying that something in it is wrong that the real fun starts!

Just kidding!

Good job this is on the 964 forum.
If it was on the 993 board, lawyers would be gearing up already.
Old 12-17-2003 | 06:17 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dunno' John. I was expecting the book to be perfect to anyone and everyone, with no conceivable detail omitted. For example, I was wondering why it doesn't tell me how to change the spark plugs on my wife's Miata?

Adrian...you've written a wonderful book. An incredible accomplishment. Relax and enjoy the afterglow. Roll with the inevitable constructive criticism. For anyone offering non-constructive criticism, tell 'em they can kiss your a**.

One of the special things about Adian's book is how many of us--in one way or another--got to contribute to its content. Perhaps we need to start a new thread titled "Post Your Car's Pic from Adrian's Book." Though I imagine John Miles would be hogging 99% of the bandwidth, posting all of his pictures in Adrian's book.

I hope Adrian isn't going to sue me for copyright violation , but here's my car:

Old 12-17-2003 | 07:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I actually have a point which came out of Jamies post. By the way Jamie please relax I am not upset at you at all.

Speedometers and DIY.
The Speedometer has a required legal calibration tolerance. This is a certification requirement in many countries including the USA and the UK. If a Speedometer is disassembled it must be "calibrated" after it is reassembled. Now how many people here know how to calibrate a speedometer? With the correct equipment I do, because it was my very first original occupation in life.
Pojnt being: You will find no DIY schemes on items that require special calibration after reassembly because nobody can do it.
Clocks do not require calibration.
Now take this to the ultimate end and why such things are NOT found in books. Somebody gets booked for speeding. Need I say more. Class action suit.
So if you are looking for something in my book or other books and it is not there, please ask yourself first, I wonder why? 95 times out of hundred you will be able to answer this yourself.
The other 5 times are;
What is the general requirement for such information?
How many people would really do this kind of thing?
I forgot or did not even think about it because nobody told me!
There was no verifiable information!
Somethings had to be removed to reduce the size of the book!
The biggest complaint I am getting privately from a lot of people is the shipping cost. It weighs 1.8 kgs. More pages would have also increased the purchase cost etc etc. There is a limit on when do you stop or keep adding information.
I have the Miata and Rolls Royce spark plug changing schemes included in the 911SC book.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Also please read the book carefully cover to cover before saying that something is missing.
Personal expectations which are missing are what I call a bit of bad luck. People had two years to let me know things. I certainly ain't perfect and the old memory is getting on in years.

Quick Reply: Adrian's book..... worth the money!