Sponsored by:

Sport End Muffler 964 Brombacher Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport End Muffler 964 Brombacher Edition

Has anyone had any experience with this muffler? Just installed a 200 cell Fabspeed sport cat on my car. Have been debating on which delete to do next (primary vs secondary). I'm leaning towards the primary at this point for the few extra lbs of weight saving over the secondary delete. I haven't considered deleting both at this point because of the sound being a bit to loud for my taste (it's a street car). Came across this in FVD website. Was thinking I might be able to go with this and the primary delete and not get a "to" aggressive sounding car and save a few more lbs. Supposedly it's lighter than the stock secondary and allows for more of a free flowing unit. It's about $1k by the way. Thought? Thanks guys!
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2017, 01:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I can’t speak for this particular muffler but looks like it is made by M&M an they make excellent muffler and exhaust systems.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:58 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
...Have been debating on which delete to do next (primary vs secondary).
They sound different.... deleting the secondary makes for a deeper, woofy-ier, V8 ish sound. (also louder). Lots of people like it, but it sounds a little non-Porsche to some.

...I'm leaning towards the primary at this point for the few extra lbs of weight saving over the secondary delete.
Can't be but a pound or two difference between the two.

I haven't considered deleting both at this point because of the sound being a bit to loud for my taste (it's a street car).
Don't, way too loud.

Came across this in FVD website. Was thinking I might be able to go with this and the primary delete and not get a "to" aggressive sounding car and save a few more lbs. Supposedly it's lighter than the stock secondary and allows for more of a free flowing unit. It's about $1k by the way. Thought? Thanks guys!
Looks cool, but $1,000? Delete the primary for $300 and you are done, then buy a used secondary muffler for $150 if your current one develops a crack (which they sometimes do, mine did).
Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with this muffler? Just installed a 200 cell Fabspeed sport cat on my car. Have been debating on which delete to do next (primary vs secondary). I'm leaning towards the primary at this point for the few extra lbs of weight saving over the secondary delete. I haven't considered deleting both at this point because of the sound being a bit to loud for my taste (it's a street car). Came across this in FVD website. Was thinking I might be able to go with this and the primary delete and not get a "to" aggressive sounding car and save a few more lbs. Supposedly it's lighter than the stock secondary and allows for more of a free flowing unit. It's about $1k by the way. Thought? Thanks guys!
apart from the sound issue, are you planing a dino session to see if you will gain or lose power ?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Looks cool, but $1,000? Delete the primary for $300 and you are done, then buy a used secondary muffler for $150 if your current one develops a crack (which they sometimes do, mine did).

Yeah the price is kind of steep. Was thinking I might be able to shave some lbs and keep sound in at the same time. For $1,000 I was hoping to get someone's real world experience.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
apart from the sound issue, are you planing a dino session to see if you will gain or lose power ?

From my butt dyno I think I might have lost a little with the cat install. Over 4,500 though the car does feel more responsive. But the weight difference over the stock cat is big. Just looking to save some additional weight and maybe get back some lost power under 4k rpms. I am thinking of getting it dynoed though.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

From my butt dyno I think I might have lost a little with the cat install. Over 4,500 though the car does feel more responsive. But the weight difference over the stock cat is big.
Big weight, and I bet heat difference too (less heat around the engine). Regarding weight in the back: RS style motor mounts (-5lbs), removing the rear seat back uppers (-15 lbs), remove the rear speakers (-8lbs)...

Just looking to save some additional weight and maybe get back some lost power under 4k rpms. I am thinking of getting it dynoed though.
Your comment reminded me of when I installed by Steve Wong chip.

Wong Chip - improved sub 4000 RPM response
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/512159-wong-chip-improved-sub-4000-rpm-response.html
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Your comment reminded me of when I installed by Steve Wong chip.
[/URL]

Here's a quick story. I bought the car from my brother who had just recently purchased it. When he got the car it had a Steve Wong chip in it and ran fantastic (it still does). Great response and smooth idle etc. All the stuff you would expect. The only other mod it had engine wise was an aftermarket cone filter set up. So I bought the Fabspeed sport cat thinking it would give me a little extra low end. I also ordered another Steve Wong chip with the after market cat/primary secondary delete option (91 octane). I ordered the 91 octane because here in south Texas it gets hot..really hot in the summer and I had read (and talk to Steve) that it might be my best option because of the heat. So I installed the new chip without the cat install and the power seemed to be about the same...maybe a little more responsive in the low end. Maybe. Might just be me wanting more out of the new chip. So I install the cat and here is my experience. Below 4000 rpm the some of the "snap' at least that's what I call it is gone but the car still powers through continuous and smooth. Above 4500 the car feels stronger though. Weird because I had expected the opposite. So I found out from Steve that the old chip is 93 octane but an older chip. So re contacted Steve and and spoke with him about sending back the new one I just bought to reprogram for 93 octane. We are going into the cooler part of the year here and I think the 93 might be ok. Here's my thought. Im wondering if the old 93 octane chip might just work ok for the winter. How much difference is there in a standard 93 octane vs one that has the different programing for sport cat/ primary/secondary delete. Anyway in the meantime im looking to lighten up the car a bit. Want to do some more exhaust wise to give a little better sound. The sport cat adds very little in the way of sound. Which is fine and what I exspected. Don’t want V8 sound or something that wakes up my neighbors. Thoughts?

Last edited by melman911; 10-19-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am interested in this muffler from FVD. My car already has a primary bypass fitted (stock cat and stock secondary) and I would really prefer to keep the stock cat in there. I know adding a G-pipe will be way too loud so maybe this muffler + the cup pipe will be just the right sound and noise. Hard to spend over $1000 without hearing one review or knowing how it sounds though.

If not, I may just get a single outlet fabspeed maxflo exhaust. Please share if you do go this route, Mel.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by palmxp3
I too am interested in this muffler from FVD. My car already has a primary bypass fitted (stock cat and stock secondary) and I would really prefer to keep the stock cat in there. I know adding a G-pipe will be way too loud so maybe this muffler + the cup pipe will be just the right sound and noise. Hard to spend over $1000 without hearing one review or knowing how it sounds though.

If not, I may just get a single outlet fabspeed maxflo exhaust. Please share if you do go this route, Mel.

You first 😂 Seriously I’m with you. For 1k I’d like some input before I pull the trigger. I’ll let you know if I go that route
Old 11-10-2017, 05:43 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bit the bullet and ordered it up. ETA 2 week build time and with the holidays around the corner and weather starting to turn here, I might not be able to provide a proper review and sound clip until the spring!
Old 05-27-2018, 04:14 AM
andy73
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by palmxp3
Bit the bullet and ordered it up. ETA 2 week build time and with the holidays around the corner and weather starting to turn here, I might not be able to provide a proper review and sound clip until the spring!
Any update on this mate? I just fitted a cup pipe and do like the sound but am certainly noticing it's a bit quieter than my G pipe. Has more of the raspy Air cooled note which I'm loving but keen to hear any thoughts on this change.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:41 AM
ahsan127
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this thread now...

I actually have the FVD 100 cell CAT, the FVD primary bypass and the FVD secondary muffler. I've had this setup for a year and a half now. I agree with the previous comment that the car has a deeper sound, but not too deep. It sounds great outside the car with some crackle and pop. The cabin remains quiet without ANY drone. I'm extremely satisfied. I use the car daily in the summer months. Its a C2 coupe.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by ahsan127
Just saw this thread now...

I actually have the FVD 100 cell CAT, the FVD primary bypass and the FVD secondary muffler. I've had this setup for a year and a half now. I agree with the previous comment that the car has a deeper sound, but not too deep. It sounds great outside the car with some crackle and pop. The cabin remains quiet without ANY drone. I'm extremely satisfied. I use the car daily in the summer months. Its a C2 coupe.
This sounds positive. My car does double duty of spirited solo runs through the hills and Sunday cruises with the Mrs so I can't have anything too obnoxious sounding.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM
wilson234
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update Palmxp3? A sound file or video would be awesome!! I too am looking at the secondary for a little more growl. I have a primary bypass and stock secondary (Wong chip too). I tried a cat bypass with resonator, loved the sound and felt an improvement in performance, but couldn’t stand the smell. Then tired cargraphic sport cat 100 cell, better, still had a nice sound, but still smells.

Im looking for more flat 6 raspy sound, not G pipe sound which I agree with many takes away from the Porsche sound more like a American v8 rumble than Porsche.

Curious if anyone has tried any of the cargraphic secondary exhausts, they make a few that use long pipe and enclosed in a muffler, but no sound files.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:40 AM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by wilson234
Any update Palmxp3? A sound file or video would be awesome!! I too am looking at the secondary for a little more growl. I have a primary bypass and stock secondary (Wong chip too). I tried a cat bypass with resonator, loved the sound and felt an improvement in performance, but couldn’t stand the smell. Then tired cargraphic sport cat 100 cell, better, still had a nice sound, but still smells.

Im looking for more flat 6 raspy sound, not G pipe sound which I agree with many takes away from the Porsche sound more like a American v8 rumble than Porsche.

Curious if anyone has tried any of the cargraphic secondary exhausts, they make a few that use long pipe and enclosed in a muffler, but no sound files.
Thought I'd chime back in here as I purchased the Brombacher Sport End Muffler with high hopes. To be honest, I was disappointed. The copy on the FVD website, claiming Cup car like sounds with pops and crackles off throttle was not the reality (in my case). I will say that the quality and finish on the muffler is beautiful. Truly. Can't fault it.

"This muffler produces a glorious flat six race car with low deep tones that reminds us of the 964 Cup. It is manufactured in Germany by M&M Exhaust, Gmbh. This muffler is ideal for anyone who wants a lower deeper tone with more decibels"

I emailed FVD and explained that there were no extra sounds coming from it and that it was actually quite quiet. I got a good response from them explaining that a 100 or 200 cell sport cat would really deliver the promises of the website. So I purchased a 200 cell cat. It was a little throatier but ultimately very quiet. The tone itself was nice - classic air cooled rasp with a bit more aggression but just not the growl i'd hoped for. Performance implications were small enough as to negligible - not sure the muffler had any impact on performance (can't quite recall if it was ever claimed it would).

When Darin Fister announced that he was building muffler for 964 i placed an order immediately. The tone took a bit of getting used to. It's WAY more aggressive but I'm very happy with it. No drone whatsoever and more like what I was hoping for.

This is my experience only. Others in the thread have clearly been super happy with their FVD muffler so you too may find you're happy with it. For me it was just a little bit underwhelming and given the cost. Happy with the Fister.

Quick Reply: Sport End Muffler 964 Brombacher Edition