Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wong Chip - improved sub 4000 RPM response

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 05:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Default Wong Chip - improved sub 4000 RPM response

I just installed a Wong 93 octane, cat bypass, primary bypass chip.

For the last couple of months my car has been running great with all routine maintenance up-to-date. Valves adjusted, oil changed, new rims and tires… the car has been great to drive. But with an eye to always subtlety improving the car… I purchased a Steve Wong chip.

What really piped my interest was the following text from Steve’s site:

Unlock the power of your 964 and discover the grunt and power the Porsche 3.6 motor is capable of. Eliminate the sub 4000 rpm lag, and make your car come alive. Have your engine 'come on the cam' right off the line, achieving much greater torque and throttle response vastly increasing everyday drivability and usability. Capable of breaking rear wheel traction with the crack of the throttle, discover low rpm throttle steer from your 964 at your next autocross you never knew your car was capable of!
http://www.911chips.com/c2chips.html

That paragraph really hit home. My car feels great pulling to redline and feels strong around town running in lower gears. BUT, subconsciously I was always waiting for the RPMs to pass 4k for steam to really pick up. So after a quick chip install, I went out for “spirited” run to see if I could feel a difference?

Again, I experienced exactly what Steve wrote on his website:

You can expect a 6-8% increase in horsepower and torque throughout the powerband on to redline, with a 10-20% increase in part throttle torque, horsepower and engine efficiency. Horsepower increases are approximately 12-16 hp and 20 lbs of torque through the powerband, with regions such as at 6500 with a 25-35 hp gain. The lag and delay currently experienced below 4000 rpm will be gone, with power coming on as soon as 1500 rpm and pulling hard all the way to the rev limit, providing much improved everyday drivability, throttle response and low and mid end torque.
I don’t have dyno numbers and such, so for many of you this might be a worthless upgrade. What I do know is that I’m driving the car differently with the new chip. I use the car as a daily driver so I really have a good feel for how the car responds to various RPM and throttle loads. With the chip, the car feels crisper and stronger down low and as a result I’m driving it harder and it feels great. The sub 4000 RPM power and response is what I’m most happy about.

Best,
Udo
Old 07-13-2009 | 05:39 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the review. The chip is tempting.
Old 07-13-2009 | 09:02 PM
Rouxzy
Advanced

I've got one of Steve's chips in mine and it is a noticable differance. I have a light weight flywheel and had stalling problems until I put the chip in and that problem went away.
Tom
Old 07-13-2009 | 10:51 PM
92silver964
Racer

So you got a "standard" chip (just with higher octane basis and cat bypass), and did not have any dyno tweaking done afterwards? Just right out of the box?

I have been looking for the same area of improvement - sub 4000 rpm. I'm waiting to complete one more small upgrade before I get a chip for my car. I have been planning to use a Wong chip, so it's nice to hear a satisfied customer.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009 | 11:17 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default SW chip

I concour. 93 Oct. plus primary bypass. Crisper throttle, good grunt. Still not my 997S but the air cooled sound/smell and "old skool" provenance provokes smiles my 996 Targa and 997S failed to elicit, FWIW. V
Old 07-14-2009 | 09:24 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

92silver964,
Wong has a couple different programs to choose from based on gas quality, exhaust set up and etc. I selected the 93, cat and primary bypass setup. What's interesting is that I still have my stock cat. I plan to upgrade next year, but based on conversations with Mr. Wong I ordered the chip programed for a cat bypass.

Q: Can I install my chip before completing my planned modifications?

A: Absolutely. The differences between the chip configurations are to primarily optimize power and response for each particular setup. The chip typically makes over 75% of the performance gains to the car's hp, torque, and response characteristic over any exhaust modification, so you can install the chip now and enjoy all the potential power your car has to offer, and install your mechanical modifications at your convenience.
http://www.911chips.com/faq.html

No doubt a "live remap" on a dyno would be ideal, and he offers that service, but I was looking for a mid-RPM boost and crisper throttle response. I got that now.

Now, RS or Wevo motor mounts?

Best,
Udo
Old 07-14-2009 | 10:15 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Udo - great to hear that you are happy. My LWF is going in tomorrow and if I have any stalling issues I am doing the chip right away. If no stalling I will wait a few months to save up some more $. I am on the fence about primary bypass so it is also nice to hear that I could get that chip and then do the upgrade later. Every person that has good things to say about SW makes me feel better. I am so afraid of the stalling problems. I'll feel much better when I have that behind me, with or without a chip.

I won't make the Apex Beans and Bagel this week but I hope to do my first one real soon.

--Tommy
Old 07-15-2009 | 01:16 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Tommy,
I just read your new owner post. I grok your emotion.

I could not be happier about owning a 964. [yes]
I love everything about it. [yes]
It has the perfect combination of that older raw sports car feel and modern engineering and mechanics. [YES. It's just such a unique feeling, like no other car]
I look at it often. [YES]
I drive it several times a day for no other reason than to be driving. [Yes, it needs it!]
I sit in it at night [Yes! I won't pretend that this is totally normal behavior, but I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones...
Sorry to hear about your PPI fiasco. I remember the PPI stress very well. Now the car is in good hands. With the help of the forum, I'm doing more and more work on my car... and more and more mods . For the big stuff or to get a good local Post-Purchase-Inspection (to get a solid baseline) you should checkout the guys over at European Performance
European Performance

Jimmy, Tolga, Richard, etc. are all great to work with and they really know 964s!

Regarding your flywheel/clutch concern, I have only one experience engaging the clutch. I tested the feel of a fellow RLer's car. It has a different feel, but look at Porsche pedals anyway! The fellow RLer had developed an unusually responsive clutch foot, very impressive in heavy traffic. You'll quickly get used to it, but I'd still get the Wong chip as insurance and for the improved engine tractability that comes with it.

Get things sorted on your car and try to make out to the cars & coffee at Briarcreek (70-540). The first Saturday of the month is a big production. Lots of cars, Porsche and otherwise.

Welcome!

Best,
Udo
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:47 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

I recently had RS flywheel and clutch installed, plus cat bypass. There was an egregious RPM dip when approaching stoplight, but I got the hang of it by pressing in the clutch when RPMs dipped below 1500. When the AC was on, forget it - it would simply stall. In addition, when letting out the clutch from a standstill, the RPMs would very quickly rise to 3000, and I had to be careful to modulate the throttle with letting the clutch out, so as not to burn it up.

I installed the basic Wong chip - 91RON gas, LWF, cat bypass, and all those problems are gone. I can approach the stop with the AC on, press in the clutch, and RPMs drop nicely to 875 (after the car is warm - when cold, I still have to be careful). Also, the RPMs don't jump precipitously when moving away from a standstill.

I can't tell if there are any more horses, but it definitely is more user-friendly. No affiliation here, just a satisfied customer.
Old 07-16-2009 | 12:00 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"after the car is warm - when cold, I still have to be careful"

O.K., this is the case for most without any chip mods. So when it's cold there's
still problem which indicates a Mickey Mouse fix and not a real overall solution.
This has been the case for many years now as posted by many on Rennlist,
hardly any real revelation.
Old 07-16-2009 | 03:09 PM
Steve W
Racer

Thank you guys for your kind words.

Loren, LOLs, hardly mickey mouse - considering ABQs circumstances previously with the stock chip - i.e. rpms rising to 3000 rpm when letting out the clutch - which is abnormal, it appears that there are other issues that still need sorting and the chip fix has done an exceptional job not only addressing the LWF stalling but mitigating other issues.
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:46 PM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

Loren, I appreciate your rebuttal, to an extent. But I'm not sure why you felt compelled to post the way you did. Do you offer a solution to the challenges I faced, and I simply didn't see your ad? Or is this just bluster? Systems Consulting. What's that? Are you a Rennlist Vendor? Do you offer a solution to the challenges I faced? I'd like to hear about them.

Before the LWF mod, the car would not stall with the AC on. After the LWF mod, stalled every time. Now, after the chip mod, be careful for five minutes while the car warms, then no problem.

After my trusted mechanic installed my upgrades, he told me it was possible that I would experience some of these issues. He agreed with the chip upgrade after I told him we experienced these issues. I was aware of it only by my belonging to this group, and reading what others had posted. The guarantee was the tipping point - if I didn't like it, I could send it back. But guess what? For the AC / LWF issue, it worked for me. The car is my wife's daily driver (she and I autocross it too!). And it made an appreciable difference for both of us.
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:38 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Do you offer a solution to the challenges I faced, and I simply didn't see your ad? Or is this just bluster?"

Yes, there's a solution provided by a Rennlist poster (Jason) who was promoting
complimenty chips to Rennlist paid members. This poster is very knowledgeable
about the 964, but hasn't posted in a while. Do a Rennlist search about the
LWF issue. Some may have copied his work, or part of it, and now claims
that it's their effort. That's the usually the case with "perfomance" chip
vendors.
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:06 AM
Steve W
Racer

No disrespect to Jason, but it is ludicrous to imply that my work is a copy of his. I have not seen his LWF solution nor do I need to as the solution I have developed is much more advanced on so many levels. If I recall, Jason's idea a couple of years ago was to try to raise the injector turn on on decel in an attempt to slow the rpm fall - I can tell you that that doesn't really work but is only part of the overall solution. The idea is not new, and fact most chips I've provided since 2003 implement some form of this. In fact here's an old post from back in the day where I openly detailed such testing and the reasons for it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...0&postcount=30

So tell me, who's copying who? Thanks for your input though!
Old 07-17-2009 | 10:20 PM
CRG
Instructor

FWIT- "my trusted mechanic"? In Albq?
When I lived in NM the only guy (IMHO) who was worth his salt was Russ Kelso of PMCI..if he's not your guy look him up

Quick Reply: Wong Chip - improved sub 4000 RPM response