Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to a vid of my car with its 'holy!' airbox :
http://www.carmovies.net/gallery/alb...dragstrip2.avi
Old 12-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Manny Alban
Has anyone had a problem with a bad mass flow sensor that was caused by the oil that you have to spray a K & N filter with? That seemed to be the consensus on the failure of the unit. After two years, I'm taking out the K & N cone filer and switching back to the stock assembly, albeit, drilled out Hey, I run straight exhaust...noise is all a matter of perspective.
my mechanic always puts a little petrol in his compressor to spray-clean K&N's i've had on previous cars. He said it evaporated fairly well and didn't allow any oil to be sucked into the engine . just my 2cents.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:57 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a K&N filter and drilled the holes. I did a before and after dyno run where this was the only change. I made the EXACT same HP at the wheels (313).

But it does sound better :-)
Old 12-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Cuppie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't bother with neat litle holes, just try the 'Battenburg' cake approach....
Just two square holes, one lined up with the intake trumpet...

Now have a picture of same, but can't upload it -HELP!!

Melv

Last edited by Cuppie; 12-14-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Drilled the air box this weekend.

Wow ... what a difference it makes. Scared at least 2 "Hot Hatches" and a neighbourhood of dogs!! K&N filter also fitted. Not sure if this also adds to the enhanced musical note?

IMHO I would recommend the "Holy" box purely on improved sound. Who cares if there are no performance enhancements.

Still smiling.
Adrian
Old 12-15-2003, 05:27 AM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Adrian WC
Drilled the air box this weekend.

Wow ... what a difference it makes. Scared at least 2 "Hot Hatches" and a neighbourhood of dogs!! K&N filter also fitted. Not sure if this also adds to the enhanced musical note?

IMHO I would recommend the "Holy" box purely on improved sound. Who cares if there are no performance enhancements.

Still smiling.
Adrian
Adrian, Did you apply the K&N oil with the filter as a recent post said that the oil can be sucked in and damage the air intake system.I am still awaiting my K&N filter and am considering installing it without the oil applied.
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Paul,

A note within the box stated that the filter was already oiled (arrived in a sealed plastic cover) and could be intalled as is. Manufacture date was quite recent so I simply installed the filter without adding any further oil.

Also read the post about the air intake which just added further motivation to just install the filter without adding further oil.

Adrian
Old 12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
John Miles
Pro

Originally posted by Cuppie
Don't bother with neat litle holes, just try the 'Battenburg' cake approach....
Just two square holes, one lined up with the intake trumpet...

Now have a picture of same, but can't upload it -HELP!!

Melv
Here is the pic Melvin was trying to post.
J
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Sorry guys, it just sounds like a wet f##t to me!
John, after I had a healthy plateful of my wife's famous chilli/meatloaf last night, I can truly say that a wet f##t sounds nothing like a drilled airbox.

Oh my!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:13 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Adrian WC
Paul,

A note within the box stated that the filter was already oiled (arrived in a sealed plastic cover) and could be intalled as is. Manufacture date was quite recent so I simply installed the filter without adding any further oil.

Also read the post about the air intake which just added further motivation to just install the filter without adding further oil.

Adrian
Thanks for that Adrian,I will do the same and install as is.

Paul
C2 cab
Old 07-22-2004, 04:01 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally, after all most three years of ownership, I can now join the perforated airbox cover club. Yipeee! My car now sounds like a Porsche!

Picked up a used cover from a fellow PCA member, and had at it. I did not go the circular hole route though....didn't look right to me, so I went at the cover with a jig saw, and cut out a pretty decent, "L" shaped opening, while leaving the cover pretty much structurally in tact.

I also yanked the snorkel off. It looks kinda-sorta like the cover they have in Performance Products for the 993. Great fun to put the right foot down. And as so many others have observed, you hear nothing different unless you are at about 3/4 throttle. Other than that, no one would ever know.

Can't wait for the next autocross. I am quite sure that the sound alone will be good for 2 seconds a lap on my rivals.

Side note: Is it just me or is removing and reinstalling the air box cover a bit of a PITA? Man its tight. I can't get it in or out without some disfigurement of the K&N filter surface. Even w/o the snorkel, its still a bit of a challenge.

BGL

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-23-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 PM
mpillow13
2nd Gear

I drilled the airbox which gave it higher pitched throaty sound. Then I was told by a Porsche mechanic and club racer to simply trim the whole right (outside?) side of the airbox off at the corners being careful to leave the section where the flip down latches attach. This gave it a deeper more pleasing sound and leads me to believe that the airbox cover vibrating as air is sucked in caused the higher pitched sound. The duct tape trial may not yield exactly the same sound as the drilled airbox cover. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:18 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the "duct tape test" late one evening, to try the aural effect of a drilled airbox.

After a short drive, I found myself at the kitchen table in the middle of the night, drilling away at the airbox like my life depended on it....
Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jenskleis
I did the "duct tape test" late one evening, to try the aural effect of a drilled airbox.

After a short drive, I found myself at the kitchen table in the middle of the night, drilling away at the airbox like my life depended on it....
ahahahahhaaha. I drilled mine. However, I could not here the WOT very well from the airbox due to my exhaust, it just overpowers everything. eheheheheeh

Quick Reply: DIY Drilled airbox