Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average of use per day of your 964, how many KM's or Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:07 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pleased to note the number of folk who have the 964 as their only car. Not that mine will be, but it's real nice to know that I could if I wanted. J
Old 11-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

At the risk of being tossed into the O/T dungeon, Piers - the sills are right enough not as important structurally as the chassis, but look messy pretty quickly - they are the hollow structures that run under the doors front to back wing, and good to fill with something runny like thinned waxoil or waste oil and schutz mix. Same goes for the bulkhead under the toeboard. I would also get all the wheels off and make sure the underwings are all well sprayed into the nooks and crannies.
Some people fill the natural water trap caused by the bonnet hinge with mastic type filler- as long as there's no rust at all in there already, and consider the rubber screen surround too - like the 964's achilles heel for rust (there - mentioned a Porsche in the thread!)

I forgot the chassis! If its original, it will be a box section damp-trap, and strongly worth considering making some access holes and getting some anti-rust into there too. I don't mean to rain on your parade Piers - the car sounds like a peach. Did you get any closer to the Ami plan?

(BTW Anyone reading this will think that 2cv's are a fragile PITA. Not true the old 60's and 70's French warhorses, you can't kill 'em with an axe, but right enough I've seen Portuguese cars rusted out before 30 or 40k miles. Cheap steel, little rustproofing, damp factory conditions.)

Anyway, back to the P-cars.
I had a truly dreadful drive home yesterday, cats and dogs, standing water, traffic all over the place. Wish I'd listened to the angel that day after all..30 miles on the clock wasted!
Old 11-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Schwabe
Intermediate

Interesting question Arjan,
even if I own a 993 I like to answer.

I drive only on weekends and only if its not raining or snowing here.. My maximum mileage is about 5000Km per year. Gladly I would drive also each day to work or so, but those are only 10Km distance. With that short distance the Porsche would wear too much, because it does not become the correct operating temperature.
So I leave it in the garage during the week and use my BMW.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schwabe.........

As you notice, most drive thru the week days around 20 till 30 km's a day.
I agree with the thing that the Porsche will waer too much on a 10 km ride.

I have that same problem also, my job is also 10 km away from my home, but in colder days as now, I drive a more longer way to work and back home, to warm up the engine well. In the weekends the car is getting hot enouh, and I replace the oil and filter at least once a year.
I need to do it this way, because my wife needs her car too.

Positive thing, At home the car is in a heated garage, always above 20 degr. celcius, and at work the car is in a parking garage wich never freezes.

I would pleased to drive more km's to work because of the car, but changing work because of the car is too much...
Old 11-30-2003, 05:28 PM
neil williams
Advanced

As I am lucky enough to live in Auckland New Zealand, no winter snow to worry about so I drive all year. My wife has the station wagon, I have the 964 and travel about 250km per week.

Cheers

Neil
Old 11-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Greetings,
I drive about 60 miles a day! I wish my commute to work was longer. Who needs coffee when you have that gorgeous engine note behind you to wake you up instead! Happy Holidays! - Jay Gratton
Old 12-01-2003, 06:11 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Neil.... lucky guy
Old 12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

After driving my car daily from new in 1992 until 1996 at a rate of around 5000 miles per year, I now drive it only around 500 miles per year.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

I do on average 4500KM per year (375 per month) including a 700KM round trip for annual servicing. Low mainly due to work pressures but also because our roads are really bad and all the good ones have speed cameras on them!!

Daily runner is a BMW in which I do about 45 000Km per year.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:12 AM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Roygarth
Hi Johnny

Last night bought a beautiful blue 2CV with 10,000 miles......basically a new car...stunning...thrilled to bits!
Never saw one here, can you post some pic?
cheers
tennjavascript:smilie('')
Old 12-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by nine64
Never saw one here, can you post some pic?
cheers
tennjavascript:smilie('')
Picking car up this weekend, will post pics.....where are you? Land of smile...Thailand?!

Quick Reply: Average of use per day of your 964, how many KM's or Miles?