Sponsored by:

Q about window sealant/cement pnr. 999.915.400.40

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Christian K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about window sealant/cement pnr. 999.915.400.40

I have a question about the window sealant/cement.

I have a copy from the german handbook, but my german is lousy so I can't really understand it. Some kind person on the board posted an english translation. In the translation it say that the 'window cement' have to be properly mixed to harden? There are only one component? Do you have to stir it? I doesn't seem like the 'mixing' part is in the german version, but as I said, my german is really lousy.

How long time should it take for the cement to harden?

cheers

Christian

1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera
Old 11-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Christian,
You will find the hardner comes with the cement. Normally stuck with tape on theoutside in the good old days but nowadays they have the two parts inthe same tube, you crack the separator and mix the stuff.
24 hours. If you have airbags you must let it harden fully before driving.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Christian K
Racer

Now I'm worried. I asked specifically about this, and the glasshop said there were no hardener. They did it yesterday and I'm supposed to pick it up today. No airbag btw.

/...making phone call to the glass shop .../

Ok, only the arrend boy in at the moment, however he say the cement is now hard. They put a small string on a piece of paper at the same time as they put the wind screen in. Is that possible if they haven't mixed it? Could it be that it just dried? This is supposed to be the official Porsche glass shop. I get so frustrated.

cheers

1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera
Old 11-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my front windscreen replaced by Autoglass, and they do not use any bonding glue or cement on 964's - they screen is held purely by the 'rubbers' as they called them.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, last Winter I pulled out ALL of my glass for a respray and replaced with ALL new rubber...using NO sealant.

I must admit, I'm a bit frustrated with the fitment of the windshield seal as the edges tend to curl in on each side a bit, no matter how much I pull the edges back out, they curl back in.

I'm going to get some sealant in a tube and fill up the voids underneath, in an effort to get the edges to stay out properly...all the other window seals are A-okay.

As for the two-part sealant, it may not be two-part anymore as there are SEVERAL products out there on the market that are only one-part. Although I do not know what Porsche uses, Adrian described a very valid possilibity that the tube is like one of those toothpaste companies that have different colors come out of one tube - Aim, Mentadent, etc.

Hope your windscreen job turns out tops!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Christer
Race Car

Incidentally, I actually chose to disbelieve Autoglass and asked the bodywork guys what they could see in the windscreen aperture and they told me there was no sign of any sealant or cement from before either, so I guess it's OK. Here's to not having any leaks in the future, I pick up the car tomorrow so we will see. At least the rust is sorted.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Taj
Racer

I have just had both screen seals replaced due to painting the roof, due to rust in one corner of the rear screen. When the front screen was removed it was definately bonded. The rear screen did not seem to be. RAC windscreens did not want to bond any of the seals in place, and only added a sealant to the front screen when I asked.

Taj.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Christer
Race Car

if it was bonded before, then apparently the last lot didn't know what they were doing by the sounds of it. I don't know personally, all I know is that if I have any leaks then I am going to...........

Apparently though, they did appreciate the fact that I got original Porsche seals for them, the ones they get don't always fit so well.....(Jeff...)
Old 11-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Christian K
Racer

Ok, so here's the full story ab out my wind screen replacement oddysé:

When I first replaced the windscreen, no glue was used. The guys at the car glass firm said it should only sit in the rubber, that's how it was supposed to be on those cars. Who was I to disagree. A few weeks later I was caught in very heavy rain during a long distance trip. After an hour or two I could see some moisture seeping in. That's when I recalled having read some place that the windscreen on the 964 actually should be glued into place. I called the OPC in Stockholm, they didn't know anything. I called Porsche Cars Sweden and got an engineer on the phone, he sounded sceptical to my suggestion about the glue, but when he looked in the work shop manual, to his surprise, he found out that according to Porsche the screen should be glued to the rubber list, and then the rubberlist should be glued to the car. Armed with copies of the 964 work shop manual I went back to the glass shop and insisted they do it the proper way. They said in that case, I had to go to the Porsche Center in Stockholm and we agreed I could do that on their expence. As in most places, OPC:s don't do any glass work, they have an undertaking firm taking care of that. So I left my car with this firm. When collecting my car a few days later, they had filled it up with regular sealant - not cement. It was impossible to get the car clean around the window as this messy black tar-like substance kept on creeping out around the rubber list. I went back with the car and manages to get them to order the proper substances from Porsche and do it all over again - the way it is recommended by Porsche. Then we find small signs of corrosion under the rubber list. I take the car to a paint shop who scrapes it and find, to my relief, only galvanised steel. They do a heck of a job matching some new paint in and it is impossible to tell the panel has been painted. I go back to the glass shop. The day after they installed the screen, I asked if they also got the hardener. Eh...what...no er, there were only one tube. Adrian tells me nowadays it is delivered in one tube, but that you still have to mix it. I get exhasuted. When I get myself together I call the engineer at the Porsche agent in Sweden. He tells me that most probably this old sealant is replaced with a new one that you don't have to mix by yourself, it mixes itself (pnr. 000.043.204.82). However he's not able to give me a definite answer. I go and pick up my car. The cement/sealant has definetelt hardened. I relax.

cheers

Christian

1990 C2
ex.1984 Carrera
Old 11-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Christian, I wish you luck on your repair...sounds like things might be in order now?

Christer, the seals fit okay, and they are Porsche parts, ordered through the dealership and drop shipped to my house from Atlanta. The sides tend to curl up into the frame...and I had a nice fitting windshield before, but it was definitely sealed in there, with some clearish-black stuff.

Seemed like good stuff.

I'm going to get a large syringe with a needle or a nice applicator tip and fill up the sides and corners - a local P-Car technician says one should at least goop up the corners...sounds reasonable to me?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Christer
Race Car

I just wish life was simple. There was no glue or cement from before and I have not had any problems to date. If I have them from now then I am not going to be a happy bunny. As it rains relatively frequently here in the UK I shall probably find out sooner rather than later if there is a problem. I will let you know what happens. If anything.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:18 AM
Christian K
Racer

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
Christian, I wish you luck on your repair...sounds like things might be in order now?
Yeah, now they finally are in order. Now I just need a dry clear day to wash it clean and put it away for winter, which I should have done a month ago.

cheers

christian
1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera

Quick Reply: Q about window sealant/cement pnr. 999.915.400.40