Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does your TEC TO4E burn oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your TEC TO4E burn oil?

Was considering getting one from them, but heard they leak. They don't recommend a restrictor, but seem most of them burn a lot of oil.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris

Any of the KKK centered turbos will use less oil than any of the other turbos out there.

Any of the conventional bearing turbos will use less oil than the bb turbos out there (with the exception of the newish dual bb turbos which I've not tested).

And, given the fact that our engines will make approximately 90psi-100psi of oil pressure at 75F oil temp or lower (ie cold engine) above 3500rpms, you should address oil pressure in your oil feed.

In fact at idle, cold engine, I make at least 65psi-70psi. That's a ton. And that's what screws up the bb turbos.

TonyG
Old 11-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

That's a good question. I don't have any oil smoke at startup, idle or when I get on it.
I do use a good amount when I'm at the track (1.5 quarts per DE weekend) but with a 170,000 mile engine and leaking dipstick base, I'm not sure the turbo has anything to do with the consumption.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Im mainly concerned with smoke. I can deal with oil consumption... But I don't want to be a fog machine on wheels. I know a couple had some smoking problems... Did you get it fixed?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

My Vitesse turbo never smokes.. NO restricter, just bolt on fun..
Old 11-18-2003, 12:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>My Vitesse turbo never smokes..<<<

Which turbo exactly do you have? Vitesse doesn't make turbos, so to say that "Your Vitesse turbo..." doesn't mean squat. Which turbo is it that you have?

TonyG
Old 11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

call vitesse or buy one, you'll find out.. I don't like giving out info without Johns approval but I do know it doesn't leak AND I would recomend that if your looking for a system call Vitesse.
ps I would'nt respond to a thread if I didn't have the experience.
thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Well you dont have to give away the meaty info, it would help to know whether or not it is a TEC turbo.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:50 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

It's almost funny when people try to keep things secret. It's that much better when everyone finds out.

The cat will be out of the bag soon....

TonyG
Old 11-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

<<<Well you dont have to give away the meaty info, it would help to know whether or not it is a TEC turbo. >>>

Yup. Not to mention the fact that the topic is TEC turbos. If you've (evil944t) got one chime in. If not, start your own thread about how wonderful your Vitesse turbo is. Oh, wait a minute.... you already have.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

wow, sorry for the plug...my bad..thought I would reccomend A good source..
guess I didn't see the TEC part
Old 11-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Just teasin' you a little. No worries.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My turbo is a TEC TO4E it used to smoke a lot on the dyno. I have since put in a catch can and it does not seem to smoke. I have asked a few people if they have seen my car smoking at the track and the answer has been no (apart from when it was on fire ). I got my gf to follow me and check for smoke when I get on boost on the highway and she says no also. To be honest I am a bit surprised about these reports of no smoke, I didnt think the catch can would make that big of a difference. I can say that the oil consumption is also lower than I expected. I did two DE weekends plus 12 hours of highway driving and regular city driving and I had to add less than 1/3 of a quart of oil for the whole time.

I am still not convinced that there isnt some smoke and I will get someone to look at it when I put it on the dyno next time.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:05 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by OZ951
My turbo is a TEC TO4E it used to smoke a lot on the dyno. I have since put in a catch can and it does not seem to smoke. I have asked a few people if they have seen my car smoking at the track and the answer has been no (apart from when it was on fire ). I got my gf to follow me and check for smoke when I get on boost on the highway and she says no also. To be honest I am a bit surprised about these reports of no smoke, I didnt think the catch can would make that big of a difference. I can say that the oil consumption is also lower than I expected. I did two DE weekends plus 12 hours of highway driving and regular city driving and I had to add less than 1/3 of a quart of oil for the whole time.

I am still not convinced that there isnt some smoke and I will get someone to look at it when I put it on the dyno next time.
Oz, as I understand it, if the catch can stopped the smoking then your turbo is not the problem, blow by is ( ask me how I know ) Do you accumulate oil in the can ?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Chas
Pro

It's almost funny when people get upset because they can't find out information that isn't even being kept secret. Instead of whining at people who choose not to release info on vendor's products (however pointless that may be), why not just go to the source...

Quick Reply: Does your TEC TO4E burn oil?