Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MSD HVC II Ignition Coil

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:24 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default MSD HVC II Ignition Coil

Does anyone have directions on what modifications are needed to run the HVC II ignition coil? Rogue has a great writeup describing the benefits of the coil:

http://roguetuning.com/944951_ignition

I have a rogue ECU, Rogue DME tuner and logger (all pre-Lindsey racing). I understand some software changes are needed. Is this possible to make the software changes through the DME tuner to modify the dwell map? Also where is the needed capacitor added? Rogue/Joshua has been noticeably busy and absent from these forums so hopefully someone else has been through this.

It seems Shawn (refresh951) is running the HVC II coil. I'm hoping he can chime in.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running the HVC II. You will need to go into the rogue tuner and change the dwell map. You will also need to have the ignition driver modified. I had mine done when I bought the ECU. The last thing is the HT lead connector from the stock bosch won't fit the HVC. You'll have to make a custom HT lead. I used the connector that came with the coil for the coil side, and reused the bosch connector for the distributor end.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been out of pocket due to getting my appendix removed rather unexpectedly . Will try to call Rogue tonight.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:05 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hope all goes well with your modification

Originally Posted by refresh951
I have been out of pocket due to getting my appendix removed rather unexpectedly . Will try to call Rogue tonight.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Thanks Shawn. I'm sure there are plenty of M-Tune users who would like to go this route. It would be good to know if the ignition driver for the Rogue DME needs to be modified compared to a stock DME.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

I talked to Josh and he said that with the Rogue ECU you only need to update the Coil Dwell Map, Here is the map for the HVC II:

Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Excellent. Thanks so much Shawn. You are a lifesaver. I'll need to work out how to fire up the DME tuner again. It's been a few years! Do you have any suggestions on plug gaps that you have run with the HVC-II coil? I closed mine down to 0.023 with the factory Bosch coil. I'm thinking it is safe to open them up with the new coil.

I'm glad the ignition driver with the Rogue ECU is more robust than the factory DME. I assume that is the reason for not needing a change. Does Black51 have a Rogue ECU also as he seems to suggest his was modified?

Shawn, I appreciate that you are available as a conduit for communication with Joshua. I understand he has become very busy with other responsibilities. He has done so much for the 944 platform and the community. I'm just glad he is reachable. It's almost like trying to contact the president. Can we call you the secret service? Protecting Rogue from any unnecessary incursions...
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
Excellent. Thanks so much Shawn. You are a lifesaver. I'll need to work out how to fire up the DME tuner again. It's been a few years! Do you have any suggestions on plug gaps that you have run with the HVC-II coil? I closed mine down to 0.023 with the factory Bosch coil. I'm thinking it is safe to open them up with the new coil.

I'm glad the ignition driver with the Rogue ECU is more robust than the factory DME. I assume that is the reason for not needing a change. Does Black51 have a Rogue ECU also as he seems to suggest his was modified?

Shawn, I appreciate that you are available as a conduit for communication with Joshua. I understand he has become very busy with other responsibilities. He has done so much for the 944 platform and the community. I'm just glad he is reachable. It's almost like trying to contact the president. Can we call you the secret service? Protecting Rogue from any unnecessary incursions...
I run plug gap at about 0.022" as I can run fairly high boost pressure (22 psi).

The stock DME requires the addition of a capacitor to prevent a resonance when using the HVC II alnong with an updated Dwell Map. The Rogue ECU just requires that the Coil Dwell Map be updated.

Joshua has handed off the MTUNE stuff to LR and they are pretty up to speed but they do not support the ECU. He is busy with his family and his day job which right now requires quite a bit of travel.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:49 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Quick update on this. More than a year later I finally got around to installing the HVC-II coil and changing the dwell map as provided by Shawn. Fired up without a problem. What a revelation! I installed M-tune in 2011 and drove it very little since then due to a frustrating problem with a 2nd gear miss/stumble at @5200rpm under load. I pretty much rebuilt everything trying to sort this out. New Rogue ECU, new turbo, pressure tested intake system, all new sensors, TPS, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, turned down the boost to 15psi, rebuilt entire engine harness pulling new wires through factory snorkel, triple checked all grounds and a bunch of other things. Essentially everything under the hood looks/is brand new. Nothing fixed it. I was still running the factory coil. I parked the car for ~4-5yrs only driving it every now and again due to the stumble/miss.

Today I took the car for a last quick drive with factory coil. Same deal with miss ~5200rpm in 2nd and 3rd. Swapped the coil to the HVC-II and changed coil dwell map. Stumble/miss is completely resolved in all gears. I had completely forgotten how nice this car is to drive without the stumble. I'm not sure if the old coil was weak or if something else was up. I never changed the coil as all of my other coil failures in other vehicles has been either they work or they don't.

A few things I did notice. Is it normal for the MAP sensor readout on the logger to record 1-2psi lower than my VDO gauge and Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC display? MAP sensor is installed with ~3inches of hose connecting it directly to the intake manifold vac ports whereas the boost gauge and Profec run long vac lines from engine to dash. I also notice the WB02 readout on the logger is slightly lower by ~0.5 compared to my Innovate MTX-L gauge. I am running the specific .ADX file for the MTX-L provided by Joshua. Which should I believe, the logger or gauges?

M-tune, the logger and tuner really is a great tool. I hope Joshua comes back to provide support for the platform one day. There is so much potential in the system. There are many unknowns such as the functions of the switches on the sides of the tuner/Ostrich box and some of the switch settings on the Rogue ECU itself. Hopefully he will find time to pick up this project again in the future.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

It's great when you finally sort something like that out. Congrats! I can't speak to your parts in particular, but can tell you I had a similar question about map sensor readings when my Zeitronix, Vitesse and VDO mechanical gauge never seemed to exactly agree. I lined them up on a bench and fed them all 15psi from my air compressor at the same time, and confirmed they just didn't match. The VDO mechanical one was so bad I chucked it for a new one, which brought it pretty close to the others. All of that is what led me to develop the SpeedoBooster so I could calibrate the factory boost gauge (and speedometer) to be exactly right.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:41 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the same issue with the stock coil and it went away when I switched to the MSD Blaster 2 coil.

Quick Reply: MSD HVC II Ignition Coil