Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017 | 10:54 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rebuild time

Unfortunately the dang sleeved 3l block went south. Currently looking to start on a new build if anyone has a 3l s2/968 short block I have interest in purchasing/building the same 8v 3.0l again. It is very tempting to go to new v8 but I am a boost addict.
Old 04-12-2017 | 04:54 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

What happened with the sleeved one?
Old 04-12-2017 | 10:53 AM
numbskull
Racer

Originally Posted by Voith
What happened with the sleeved one?
Sigh, good question. For about a year I tried to get the builder to repair this motor after it was delivered with low oil pressure. No response. The sleeve inserts were done wrong, the crank was welded by a 2yr old, the head was shaved to nothing, cracked under the springs, 2 pistons had wrong sized rings. And finally the grand finally found they used a cracked block in the end. This shop filled a cracked block with epoxy and sold it as rebuilt with new sleeves/pistons. There is no trust when shops like Filbert Toothtoes build deceitful garbage like this for profit.
Old 04-12-2017 | 10:59 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Wow that sucks.
Old 04-12-2017 | 12:31 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 990 Posts

Sue him you have proof
Old 04-12-2017 | 01:28 PM
numbskull
Racer

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Sue him you have proof
Nah, I'd never do that for a measly 5 grand. His wife who runs the business was very nice when she was able to return calls. I think he is facing some financial hardships.

The thought crossed my mind to just crush the car and use it as a piece of art for the backyard, like a Viking picnic table. Lol. The last year was just hell dealing with this engine so the choices to move forward continue.
Old 04-12-2017 | 06:03 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by numbskull
Sigh, good question. For about a year I tried to get the builder to repair this motor after it was delivered with low oil pressure. No response. The sleeve inserts were done wrong, the crank was welded by a 2yr old, the head was shaved to nothing, cracked under the springs, 2 pistons had wrong sized rings. And finally the grand finally found they used a cracked block in the end. This shop filled a cracked block with epoxy and sold it as rebuilt with new sleeves/pistons. There is no trust when shops like Filbert Toothtoes build deceitful garbage like this for profit.
I am pretty sure there phones don't work at that place.I know exactly who you're talking about LOL! I am surprised the wife was so nice to you, she had a pretty nasty attitude with me. Would you mind uploading pictures of the crank work and also the sleeves? Not only do they have a two-year-old welding I think they also have their dog wiring up engine management systems 😂😂😂. Hopefully you got everything sorted out
Old 04-15-2017 | 03:09 AM
numbskull
Racer

Yeah, I think our cars were at the same shop at same time last year seeing some photos. Do you have one of the German flag painted cam tower built there? Right now I want to either build a 968 rs turbo clone motor in the old '86 with super mods, or just stuff in a v8 ls3 to live life. Still planning with some folks on it.
Old 04-15-2017 | 08:10 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that one was mine, had a few kinks after he sent it to me. I addressed the oil leaks also his ****ty wiring, Monday I am going up to Chris White and he's going to tune her. I've had the head off the motor since it got delivered with a bad head gasket lol. Sleeves and everything looks good I don't seem to have any issues internally with the motor knock on wood. Now that I think about it and how much I've spent it's insane and there are many people on here who spent more. I hate to say this but Chuck the LS in and then you won't have to worry about a damn thing except burning rubber

Quick Reply: Rebuild time