Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The best Starter for the 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The sleeve and alternate bracket definitely fixes the issue.

We had this problem with an 8V race car and on the rare occasion it would happen (hot race engine, increased compression), you'd swear the starter mount portion of the bell housing was gonna shear off.

Not something you like to hear 5-700 miles from home at a race event.

Finally decided to investigate, replaced setup with larger ID bracket and sleeve, never had problem again.

On the life of a starter in general, again, race cars (and street) exhaust stays extremely hot for 1.5 hours continuous, I use the factory 944T heat shield and cover it with reflective gold stick on heat shield from Pegasus Racing. Been carrying a brand new Bosch starter as a track spare for 7+ years and haven't needed it yet.

T
Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
Engine in car, but I had the intake off. The hardest part was loosening up the socket head bolts - I believe I had success using three extensions from under the car along the bellhousing. I replaced these bolts with standard hex-head type on reassembly.

Gaping wasn't a problem using a thin washer temporarily glued to the sensor. It is pretty tight in there though, and I was almost certainly swearing.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Turn the motor to tdc and install the sensor with the washer to set the gap, tighten down the bracket applying light pressure to bracket preventing it from moving away. Remove washer from the sensor. Probably wise to replace both sensors while your in there since they are a know weak point on our cars. Much easier to do with the intake removed.
Any specific reason why engine needs to be at TDC? Also, with both the sensors and bracket off, would I be able to check and or set height of reference allen pin? Flywheel has been resurfaced before, have not checked pin height since installing and running. Was previously on Vitesse MAF and SMT6 without issues. But Im currently trying to solve some interference with speed and reference sensors with VEMS ecu.

Originally Posted by 951and944S

We had this problem with an 8V race car and on the rare occasion it would happen (hot race engine, increased compression), you'd swear the starter mount portion of the bell housing was gonna shear off.

Not something you like to hear 5-700 miles from home at a race event.

Finally decided to investigate, replaced setup with larger ID bracket and sleeve, never had problem again.

On the life of a starter in general, again, race cars (and street) exhaust stays extremely hot for 1.5 hours continuous, I use the factory 944T heat shield and cover it with reflective gold stick on heat shield from Pegasus Racing. Been carrying a brand new Bosch starter as a track spare for 7+ years and haven't needed it yet.

T
Im hoping this will solve my issue as well.

Thanks All!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting - I haven't come across this thread before... I slotted my bell housing when I did my clutch. Ever since then I get what I'm now guessing is the starter kickback. I couldn't figure out what that knock was about. It doesn't happen all the time. Should an '89 already have the sensor sleeve?
Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 951and944S

We had this problem with an 8V race car and on the rare occasion it would happen (hot race engine, increased compression), you'd swear the starter mount portion of the bell housing was gonna shear off...
Just added the shielded reference sensor sleeve/bracket to my 85 NA 8V race engine. Seems to have totally fixed the starter kickback issue which developed right after I slotted the bell housing. FWIW, I have the Ideola high torque starter but I think you're going to have this problem regardless of which starter motor you have if you don't shield the reference sensor.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Interesting - I haven't come across this thread before... I slotted my bell housing when I did my clutch. Ever since then I get what I'm now guessing is the starter kickback. I couldn't figure out what that knock was about. It doesn't happen all the time. Should an '89 already have the sensor sleeve?
From what I understand from the Technical Bulletin issued by the factory was that from 87 Porsche notched all bellhousings for ease of maintenance. They then quickly found that it caused issues (interference) with the starter and added a sleeve to prevent it. Adding to the problem some earlier bellhousings (82-86) were also notched by the dealerships (or by owners) to aid maintenance. In some cases sleeves were not added to the earlier cars though anything after 88 should have a sleeve fitted at the factory. Basically 30+ years on anything could have happened so it’s best to check, especially if you are having issues with starting. Btw the issue usually doesn’t cause a “no start” issue, it is more of an occasional bucking or hesitant start that can feel quite violent. Here’s the TSB:

Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Speaking of starter heat shields... Yeasterday, to fix a sticking bendix, I R&R'd my starter. The heat shield on my '88 951 is bolted to one of the torque-tube bolts! It's the most annoying thing, consuming much time and foul language.

Funny thing is on writeups for starters, even those on a turbo, I never see this heat shield design. It's brutal!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

From what I understand from the Technical Bulletin issued by the factory was that from 87 Porsche notched all bellhousings for ease of maintenance. They then quickly found that it caused issues (interference) with the starter and added a sleeve to prevent it. Adding to the problem some earlier bellhousings (82-86) were also notched by the dealerships (or by owners) to aid maintenance. In some cases sleeves were not added to the earlier cars though anything after 88 should have a sleeve fitted at the factory. Basically 30+ years on anything could have happened so it’s best to check, especially if you are having issues with starting. Btw the issue usually doesn’t cause a “no start” issue, it is more of an occasional bucking or hesitant start that can feel quite violent. Here’s the TSB:

Thanks Mike. Mine is like a knock I can feel through the floorboard. Kinda like the knock when you win a free game of pinball. Just enough of a knock to make you cringe in your seat...

Quick Reply: The best Starter for the 951