Standalone EMS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Standalone EMS question

Hi,

I'm looking in to a standalone EMS for my 3.0L turbo build. I'm leaning on the Haltech line right now but have a lot more research to do.

First question is, I now have the opportunity to add an additional knock sensor. Is it worth having 2? What are the benefits to that, and secondarily, where would I mount the second knock sensor?

Secondly, should I consider using MAF, or is speed density the way to go here? I'm asking this because I'm the proud owner of a fancy IC pipe and BOV for the 944. Not a diverter valve. So I can run this thing with speed density. Or I'm building a new custom pipe for the Forge 007 DV.

Third, if anyone has a good base map for a 944 Turbo, preferably 3.0L for the Haltech, or any EMS, I'd love a copy.

Thanks all.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Any interest in going with a MoTec? I have a couple to sell - check out my For Sale thread here.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Very much maybe. I'll have a look.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The 944S has two knock sensors and I believe S2 and 968 have two knock sensors. There should be around **** that's untapped if you're using a 2.7 L block there is a round nub in between the cylinder one and two similar to where the knock sensor is mounted for a turbo between the three and four cylinders,or I have it backwards either way the knock sensors go between the cylinders on one and two and then on three and four. And I recommend mass airflow over speed density.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Aha! Well, I have the 2.7L S2 block so I guess 2 knock sensors it is. Who am I to disagree with Porsche engineers/sadists?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

As far as the MAF vs SD debate, it's been going for a long time. But for the 944 series? 95% of people who have replaced their AFM have the stock DME with an aftermarket MAF. I would venture to say that most people haven't driven the same car with both setups. The truth is, at the end of the day it's just an algorithm, and both are only as good as the person tuning it. If you're paying someone else to tune, that's easy, you just ask them. If you're tuning it yourself, I think SD is easier because it's relatively easy to set a solid VE table...between the auto-tune features of modern ECUs, readily available maps from others, and common sense.

I've run a MAF (Rogue NA-Tune) and SD (Megasquirt) on my NA. I didn't modify the tune with the MAF so I can't comment there. But I have dealt with other MAF tunes. I can't say that one is inherently better than the other, both setups have probably made the same power and are a huge improvement even on an NA. But I prefer the MS setup because of the full tunability, which isn't a factor for everyone.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Go the Motec. Great pricing from Solo. http://www.motec.com.au/ac-kc-aboutk...ockcontrol-ov/
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'll be having it pro-tuned by... someone. I have the names of a couple people who are good so I'll need to start reaching out.

I actually have the rogue M-tune kit sitting here unused. I've been building a new stock-ish harness for everything. But the custom piping made for my turbo kit is incompatible with MAF.

Aftermarket EMS can run sequential fuel injection and direct fire ignition, probably with some LS coil packs. And will have the ability to use a boost solenoid, and everything will just work happy together. Plus it's a lot less harness wiring work. Plus I can choose an EMS that local tuners will have experience in.

At this point, I'll likely move forward with SD because it will likely cost less money in custom fab. If there are issues, I can eat the cost then I suppose.

I've heard many good things about the Motec's. But they're costly, and I have no idea how the local support is just yet. I'm also having problems finding info about the M4 model that's on sale used here. If it's like the M400 model it seems like it should work. But I wonder if I want support if I need to buy from a vendor new.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Yeah wow, Motec seems way out of my budget. And the only dealer up here seems to be a dedicated BMW shop.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Haltech and Electromotive are probably the most mainstream. MS3X and MS3 Pro are also very competent, the Pro is tailored to compete with the above and is a pretty big departure from the traditional DIY kits as far as the ecu itself. It's very competitively priced too.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

I have experience with both MAF and MAP conversion for the 944, just like odonnell here.

I would say in general MAF can "adapt" to minor changes easier since there isn't VE taken into account. If the engine is pulling in more air because of head, cam, exhaust, turbo, whatever improvement the MAF measures it directly.

MAP needs tweaking/tuning each time you change something...and sometimes when the weather changes on you
That said, the MAP setup I have is better-built and easier to use than the MAF I had, but much of that was my fault (one-off setup)

Either way...you'll be happy.

Originally Posted by odonnell
As far as the MAF vs SD debate, it's been going for a long time. But for the 944 series? 95% of people who have replaced their AFM have the stock DME with an aftermarket MAF. I would venture to say that most people haven't driven the same car with both setups. The truth is, at the end of the day it's just an algorithm, and both are only as good as the person tuning it. If you're paying someone else to tune, that's easy, you just ask them. If you're tuning it yourself, I think SD is easier because it's relatively easy to set a solid VE table...between the auto-tune features of modern ECUs, readily available maps from others, and common sense.

I've run a MAF (Rogue NA-Tune) and SD (Megasquirt) on my NA. I didn't modify the tune with the MAF so I can't comment there. But I have dealt with other MAF tunes. I can't say that one is inherently better than the other, both setups have probably made the same power and are a huge improvement even on an NA. But I prefer the MS setup because of the full tunability, which isn't a factor for everyone.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 01-11-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Player0
Yeah, I'll be having it pro-tuned by... someone. I have the names of a couple people who are good so I'll need to start reaching out.

I actually have the rogue M-tune kit sitting here unused. I've been building a new stock-ish harness for everything. But the custom piping made for my turbo kit is incompatible with MAF.

Aftermarket EMS can run sequential fuel injection and direct fire ignition, probably with some LS coil packs. And will have the ability to use a boost solenoid, and everything will just work happy together. Plus it's a lot less harness wiring work. Plus I can choose an EMS that local tuners will have experience in.

At this point, I'll likely move forward with SD because it will likely cost less money in custom fab. If there are issues, I can eat the cost then I suppose.

I've heard many good things about the Motec's. But they're costly, and I have no idea how the local support is just yet. I'm also having problems finding info about the M4 model that's on sale used here. If it's like the M400 model it seems like it should work. But I wonder if I want support if I need to buy from a vendor new.
The M4 will have no problem working with your 951 - it's the same system in my 968 Turbo.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Player0
Yeah wow, Motec seems way out of my budget. And the only dealer up here seems to be a dedicated BMW shop.
I think I priced it similar to a Haltech system. How much were you expecting to spend?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:27 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Look at the Motec M84 it is fairly reasonable and Motec has a ton of support.

Solo are you selling the DOS computer to go along with the M4?

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS question