Fuel Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
reactor2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer

Hi,

Does anybody know which brand/type of fuel stabilizer Porsche recommends to add to the fuel tank before the car (87 951) is put away for the winter? I know some might contain methanol which Porsche says will ruin the fuel system.

Thanks,

Reactor2
Old 11-05-2003, 12:52 AM
laserturbo
4th Gear

I would recommend starting it every week and taking it out for a spin instead of adding a stabilizer. My friend is a chemist and he has told me nothing but bad things about using methanol.

Happy driving,
Laserturbo
Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Putting a turbo away for the winter? You otta be ashamed!
Old 11-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Well, I drive my car everyday but if I was to get another car for the winter this is what I would do. Run the car until the reserve light comes on then only put in about a gallon then park it. Every week take it for a spin about 10 miles. Then after two weeks maybe 3 weeks your reserve light will come on again then get just 1 gallon of gas. That is what I think would be best to keep good gas in your car plus to keep the car's fuel system and everything else in good order. Also, I would change the oil now before winter to a good oil then again in the spring when you want to drive it again more then 10 miles a week. That will help in the spring to have fresh oil plus you don't freeze your @ss off changing it in the winter. Like I said, that is what I would do to keep fresh gas in the car.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The purpose of stabilizer is to prevent the components of gas from separating when it gets old. Starting the car ir driving it won't prevent that.

I doubt the small amount of methanol would hurt the fuel system. I also doubt stabilizer is necessary, unless you're going to store the car for over , say, six months or so.

To store, I add some methanol to get rid of any water in the tank, use most of that tank, and then refill to the very top to prevent condensation.

I'm assuming Porsche tanks are steel, I've never checked to tell you the truth. But I have seen what happens to the inside of bike tanks when they are stored less than full.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peckster:
fejjj (11-12-2021), Gbos1 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any brand name stabilizer will work. I add it to the tank before I store it for the winter ... next weekend .

A neat trick is to drive the car onto 2" thick styrafoam blocks to keep the tires round. I also remove the battery and charge it up at least once a month to keep the calcium deposits from forming on the plates (over 15 years experiance maintaining batteries).

The gas tanks are plastic ... at least the ones I had seen at the dealer. Changed out my fuel sender unit and saw that the tank was plastic. Had no problems last spring when I woke the car up. It just takes a few days for the DME to learn again!

Jaak Lepson
The following users liked this post:
shredcrimson (11-13-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 07:39 PM
shredcrimson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peckster
The purpose of stabilizer is to prevent the components of gas from separating when it gets old. Starting the car ir driving it won't prevent that.

I doubt the small amount of methanol would hurt the fuel system. I also doubt stabilizer is necessary, unless you're going to store the car for over , say, six months or so.

To store, I add some methanol to get rid of any water in the tank, use most of that tank, and then refill to the very top to prevent condensation.

I'm assuming Porsche tanks are steel, I've never checked to tell you the truth. But I have seen what happens to the inside of bike tanks when they are stored less than full.

The early models are steal and post 1985.5 they are plastic. As to my knowledge from other blogs.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:44 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Marine 360 is the best fuel stabilizer. The red stuff is crap!
Old 11-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

What's Winter?

Thanks
Mike G.

Quick Reply: Fuel Stabilizer