Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ealokens Porshe 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You would recommend that you update the oil pan baffle to the later unit. It's not a bad idea also to use a new plastic piece in the oil pan rather then a 30 year old plastic unit. All mine have cracked on the mounts, don't know about yours.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-94...%257Ciid%253A1
Old 04-16-2017, 02:39 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
You would recommend that you update the oil pan baffle to the later unit. It's not a bad idea also to use a new plastic piece in the oil pan rather then a 30 year old plastic unit. All mine have cracked on the mounts, don't know about yours.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-94...%257Ciid%253A1
Mine is in good shape, And just like that one
Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Did the brake lines And camber bolts today.

Hoping to Get the engine ready in 2 weeks, tuning And dyno in May.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
How does it lowers the suction point by 1 inch if suction point is already tke lowest point of the pickup the only thing lower is the mesh Which has recessed space in oil pan. If that ring is welded just the right way it will touch the oil pan arround the recess in pan and actually seal the oil away from pickup.
Because oil can pull from the side, when you cover the side, oil can only pull from the bottom.....approximately 1 inch lower.

If you follow the install directions (or safer yet, as with any custom add on, check and verify for yourself) and make sure the ring is flush with the top lip of the pickup there is plenty clearance for supply to the pump.

Lindsey instructions say "skip weld" (they mean stitch) but this would defeat the purpose if there was not as good a seal as in the full weld in Ealoken's picture.

Second possibility......fast laps/race wins may be due to the engine running without the resistance of that pesky oil.....

T
Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Here ya go......, 1.5 hour enduro, hot engine oil, severe track angles, race tire grip cornering forces, high revs, fast lap, race win.

With baffle kit.

Do you really think this engine could live if the pickup tube feed was limited to less that it's maximum capacity...?

Start is slow with full fuel tank (misjudged and started too heavy), start at 8.00.

Sorry for the (?) OT Ealoken...carry on...., you’re doing a fine job, except those rubber rear sway bushings....

T

Last edited by 951and944S; 04-16-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:28 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gruhsy
That looks great

I can't remember with the LR baffle do you still install the plastic portion in the pan or does the baffle replace that?
Originally Posted by 951and944S
Here ya go......, 1.5 hour enduro, hot engine oil, severe track angles, race tire grip cornering forces, high revs, fast lap, race win.

With baffle kit.

Do you really think this engine could live if the pickup tube feed was limited to less that it's maximum capacity...?

Start is slow with full fuel tank (misjudged and started too heavy), start at 8.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJCTzniuMeE

Sorry for the (?) OT Ealoken...carry on...., you’re doing a fine job, except those rubber rear sway bushings....

T
Thanks for the video and info

Brushings is on the list after the engine starts, season is just around the corner
Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

While I like your track video, Im not sure it was made possible by that piece of steel band

In my opinion in your instalation it is not choking oil supply so in essence it is doing exactly nothing.

Good proof would be the cup series where they drove these cars much more to the limit compared to your driving yet I've never heard of #2 failure at those races and I know one of factory mechanics that wrenched on cup races personally.

But hey thats only my opinion ymmv. I'll not use that or the baffle as there ia no proof that does anything even LR says on its web page they never dealt with 968 #2 failure. (The page where they offer crank air passages like those on later blocks.)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

While I like your track video, Im not sure it was made possible by that piece of steel band

In my opinion in your instalation it is not choking oil supply so in essence it is doing exactly nothing.

Good proof would be the cup series where they drove these cars much more to the limit compared to your driving yet I've never heard of #2 failure at those races and I know one of factory mechanics that wrenched on cup races personally.

But hey thats only my opinion ymmv. I'll not use that or the baffle as there ia no proof that does anything even LR says on its web page they never dealt with 968 #2 failure. (The page where they offer crank air passages like those on later blocks.)
LOL x 2......, I sold two 968 crankshafts to Spencer here on the forum with #2 rod journal damage. Both engines lost #2 bearing around carousel at Road America.

Tires have made leaps and bounds since 944 Turbo Cup, I'd venture a bet that cornering forces are much higher today on race Hoosiers and modern suspension.

Enough OT though, you go the route that you see best.

T
Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Got the biggest muffler in And painted the lower dash today.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

And thats just it.

I think we all have opinions on this matter, based on what we think is happening in side the "ol' slosh bucket". Unless we have concrete evidence it's really up to the builder to determine what is best. And that person may be right or may be wrong. We take a gamble and hope for the best.

Same goes for the crank scrapers. Personally I really like the vertical oil mounted scraper. On the fence about the horizontal.

I suspect the 2nd best practice after dry sump is to extend the oil pan 25+ mm and also extend the pick up tube exactly the same distance.

I don't know if it's best to just extend the "bowl" of the sump or extend the section where it mounts to the block (like the 928 pan spacers)... probably both are good remedies, but then you must consider is this a street/rally car or a track car. I would like dry sump but the cash ain't there. I thought about lowering the pan or bowl, but with lowering the suspension already on a street car, it would be suicide.

Thought about widening the bowl.... making it really wide to hold 1 or 2 litre extra oil but unless you have baffles will this cause the oil to migrate away from the pick up when hard cornering? Possible. Probable. No idea.

So, because of how I perceive what happen in the pan, I subscribe to the baffle/collar with full weld like Ealoken has done so beautifully.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since actual pickup point is lower than that collar, there is no point whatsoever to weld it on. It might look smart but in reality its like if you glue something on the side of the straw. It won't help you get any more milkshake out of a cup.

I'm flabergasted that people don't realise that.

But since there was a video proof posted of this band racing like a pro, it must be what engines crave!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Maybe that's where we see the function differently.

I totally agree with your statement about the straw.

That's an excellent example.

My perspective of the collar's function (when fully welded) is SIMPLY... depth!!
In lower quantities of oil it'll suck less air.

Hypothetical:
You are in McD's drinking your favourite cold beverage with a straw.

... you're "Loving it" as they advertise in Canada.

But you get near the bottom of your drink. Do you push your straw to the bottom to suck the most from the bottom?

I do.

Would it help if you cut little slits an inch higher-? I doubt it, because like you say the volume or quantity is limited to the straw size. ANd when you reach the VERY BOTTOM, you'll HAVE BETTER VACUUM. -no vacuum leak!

-------- anyway that's all I have to give on this subject, merely suggesting the strength of the collar is in it's ability to lower the point of suction versus the non fully welded, or no collar at all-----------

Interested if you agree or not.

Darn, now I want a chocolate shake!!
Old 04-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

But that's just it, there are no slits and suction point is already lower than where that band ends. Look at the picture I posted.

Btw: they have the same I'm loving it slogan here.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:49 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Slow And steady. I hope to Get the ecu started this weekend.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

But that's just it, there are no slits and suction point is already lower than where that band ends. Look at the picture I posted.

Btw: they have the same I'm loving it slogan here.
hahaha... okay.

All I see is screen, something meant to keep the naughty bits out of a suction device. if the whole pickup tube was a mesh material, would it work well or would it *not* provide vacuum?

-Anyway, maybe it doesn't matter, maybe I'm wrong You build your engine in the way that pleases YOU. You do beautiful work with exceptional detail. I just realized 951and944S has basically the same argument as I do, didn't mean to rant, just thought I might be able to make a difference, but it's already been said.

Hope you have a great weekend. Lets hope we all keep our cars rubber side down.

AND BACK TO OUR REGULAR PROGRAM.

Last edited by Noahs944; 04-29-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Ealokens Porshe 951