Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help! Trans/Diff locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:39 PM
pmillerny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Trans/Diff locked up?

Hey guys. Need help.

I have a 1986 944t with 110k. I've owned it for 10 years and it's never left me stranded. Anywho... I went to pull it out of my garage today and the car wouldn't move! Started, ran fine, trans engaged, clutch grabbed but it couldn't overcome resistance from "somewhere". Hand brake is disengaged and I can feel it engaging and disengaging when I lift/lower the handle. Jacked up the back wheels and it definitely felt like the resistance was in the trans/diff. Wheels don't turn at all.

I just had the winter tires swapped on and drove he car home last night. Drove perfect. Also, there's something "unusual" is going on with the shifter. As I was playing with it to figure out what the problem is, sometimes I could run it through the normal H pattern and sometimes it feels like the H pattern is missing half sections.

Now it's half in/out of my garage. Uggh.

Any ideas?

Pete
Old 12-09-2016, 02:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Shift linkage on the driver side top of the transmission may have come loose.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or shift linkage by shifter. Had that happen to me at the gas station. Pull your shift boot and the foam out of hole make sure the two bolts holding the shift linkage are there. 10 or 13mm.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm or if you can't move it with clutch engaged may be something else. Should be able to tell like you said if its trans or brakes by jacking up car. You Should be able to rotate tires even maybe a quarter inch or so if its in gear and see your cv axles rotate. If no rotation at all and totally firm may be brakes. If a little bit of play you could slide torque tube coupler to disengage tranny from driveshaft and eliminate the torque tube as culprit. Loook in hole you will see driveshaft spinning. Although i don't know if driveshafts ever bind up in the tt
Old 12-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like the e-brake didn't disengage to me. Unless it is the shifter and there is no binding really happening.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:49 PM
pmillerny
Intermediate

Thanks guys! Have to love the RL community. Can't believe the speed of the responses.

I got it back into the garage - rolls when I engage the clutch. Will check both linkages.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If your in fifth gear that would be a bit of a bind at a dead stop.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM
pmillerny
Intermediate

Quick update...

Shift lever properly connected. Got the car up on jack stands. Linkage all connected. Can manually move the linkage (driver's side of trans) fore/aft but not left/right. I assume it needs to move left/right as well? Also, can work through the shifter entire H-pattern w/ the exception of reverse.

Anyway, since the car moves when the clutch is depressed, I'm going to have it towed to the shop. Just wanted to thank you guys for the quick/thoughtful responses! Of course, if you have any further thoughts, I'd love to pass them on to the mechanic.

Pete
Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM
pmillerny
Intermediate

Well, now that I know which part of the linkage (bottom) needs to move left/right it appears I can move it left (towards the drivers side) but not to the right.

Quick Reply: Need help! Trans/Diff locked up?