Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Short Shift Kit for '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adrial have you seen them side by side? I am 99% sure that the 944 racing one is also adjustable (via the allen bolt like the autothority version). I belive that Paragon also sells this same one. You are right about one thing, it is a giant PITA. You have no idea how dirty it is up there and if you have a trans cooler, I pity you.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the short shift that 944 racing is selling:

http://www.944racing.com/Search/View...earchType=Main

I dont have a picture of the autothority, but the adjustment in the autothority comes from 2 holes in the metal arm on the left side in the picture...and also 2 holes in the rectangular piece that connects to the transmission itself. It's obvious from that pic that the 944 racing short shift doesn't have the holes in the metal arm on the left side, and most likely doesnt have the holes in the rectangular piece that connects to the trans either.

The autothority does have more vibration in it than the stock shifter, but its not bad at all. No extra noise from it...
Old 11-03-2003, 12:55 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Does anyone have an Autothority Short Shift kit they're willing to sell, quick? They're backordered.

Or I'll just settle for the 944racing unit, which is non-adjustable.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:48 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got a lot more than I bargained for with this post. Thx for the responses...

I assumed that all the kits were identical, and just marketed by different resellers.
Here's one to throw into the mix - SpeedSix Motorsports has a short shift kit that replaces the stock shifter!

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_item...2330513&mode=1

I haven't gotten my fingers dirty under the car yet, so I'm wondering if that's possible (as opposed to back at the gearbox)?

The stock throw isn't horribly long IMO, but I'm certain I'll be buying new parts to correct the slop in my shifter. If there is a better part than factory, then that's what I'll buy....
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Short Shift Kit

I went with the SS kit from German Parts & Restoration. Haven't had a single problem with - works great!

It has 2 side to side (tighter) adjustments and the fore and aft motion can be decreased by 25% to 45%. It looks just like the 944 racing product with the heim joint and all, but GPR's product offers adjustments. I was told that this kit is identical to the Autothority short shift.

Hope this helps.

Vic
Old 11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mitch, Speed6's kit is identical to SFR's kit except even more overpriced. Do a search in this section, not long ago we had a good post with plenty of info on how to make your own Speedy6/SFR short shifter for free.

I wonder if GPR's kit IS the Autothority one?

Sam
Old 11-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

sm, the 944racing kit does look good, I certainly wouldn't think it's any worse than the Autothority kit and there's no way I'd pay double for the Autothority kit. Adjustability is nice, but after I install it, there's no way I'm ever touching it again for "adjusting" due to its location.

Sam
Old 11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adjustability is nice, but after I install it, there's no way I'm ever touching it again for "adjusting" due to its location.
The adjustability feature is to choose which throw setting and side to side setting your prefer. Accessabiltiy isn't bad at all so long as you remove the drivers' rear tire.

Obviously, once the shift kit is set there will be no need for future adjustments.

Sam, I don't think you're looking at the adjustability feature correctly.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Blueman33
Pro

ADRIAL,

Do you use the 25% rduction or the 45% reduction?

Though I do think it would be nice to have some custimization, at least in theory, if everyone chooses the option similar to 944Racing setup, then it's kinda moot.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:58 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if Powerhaus makes their own(I believe they do) or if they get it from someone else. It's adjustable towards the driver in three different settings and I believe the same for shortness. My point is it was $150 installed and took a half hour. Not a single complaint.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Sam Lin
sm, the 944racing kit does look good, I certainly wouldn't think it's any worse than the Autothority kit and there's no way I'd pay double for the Autothority kit. Adjustability is nice, but after I install it, there's no way I'm ever touching it again for "adjusting" due to its location.

Sam
Double?

944 racing kit is $105 http://www.944racing.com/Search/View...earchType=Main

Autothority is $159 from Paragon. http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi...tem_num=944SSK

Blueman33,

I use the 25% reduction and I like it a lot. I haven't tried out the 45% reduction, but when I first purchased a short shift I wasn't really looking for a shorter throw...I was more looking to get the slop out of the shifter.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any pics of the Powerhaus setup?

Pauerman, I meant what Blueman stated, that regardless of adjustment settings available, if everyone chooses one, the other is irrelevant.

Sam
Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

adrial, I paid high-70s for my 944racing setup on eBay, hence double. Which of the autothority holes is which setting?

Sam
Old 11-03-2003, 08:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

The holes closer to the pivot are the shorter throws.

So yes, in theory you could just start drilling holes in the 944 racing piece if you wanted to shorten it further.

However if you wanted to lengthen travel...you're out of luck.

I'm not sure how the short/long positions of the autothority compare to the 944racing piece.

EDIT:

Looking at the pic of the 944 racing piece...

It looks like the front/back throws are as short as the short position on the autothority or shorter...while the side to side motion is the same as stock.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:02 PM
CBRE
Instructor

I have a brand new 944racing one I will let go for $90 shipped.

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit for '86 951