Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

intercooler pipe popped off

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:06 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intercooler pipe popped off

I know I've seen this posted before, but I can't seem to find it again. At the track (WGI) this weekend for a TracQuest DE, my intercooler pipe popped off and was creating a great wooooshing sound as I let off the throttle. Pushed it back into place and put the hose clamp back on and tightened it down again. No problem the rest of the weekend (as far as that goes). What caused this, and is there a solution to prevent this?

Also, what brake pads do you guys recommend for DE's/AutoX/street? I met Hugh (ninefiveone) there and he's a great guy. Recommended Pagid Orange for my level of driving (novice).

Oh, and Kumho 712's truly suck, way too hard of a compound for the track. DON'T SKIMP ON TIRES!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the pipes will pop off every now and then, not much you can do about it short of going for an aftermarket hard pipe set. Just make sure the clamps are on properly and check them every now and then. I've had it happen twice now, once on the track and once on the street... good thing is that now with the MAP, I can easily drive the car with the pipe off - it's just not boosting much
Old 10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I put some sealer on the pipe edges. It's not permanent sealer, but helps with enough grip to keep pipes from blowing.

Frist time it happened to me I thought I blew the motor. I had to use the sealer on my straight pipe I made for pipe going into IC. No problems since.

FYI, for 15 psi there is 51 psi of pressure pulling at the IC pipe connection. read that in Maximum Boost book.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I forgot to ask when I met you, how much boost are you running?

I've been running 15psi for the last three years and never had an IC hose blow that wasn't due to a loose hose clamp. Just make sure those clamps are tight. I've known some people to put some WD40 or other lubricant on them to help get them into place but that just helps them squeeze out later. Keep em dry and tight and it should all be fine.

I think I'm going to rescind my Pagid Orange reccomendation.

The other pad you might want to try are the SBS pads I was running from TireRack. I didn't know the price when I was talking to you but I just checked and they're $125 for an axle. A solid $55 less than the pagids, without the squeal and better performance as well.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Thanks Hugh, I forgot to check into those tirerack pads. I'm running 2 bar max boost (~15psi) but I think that's only in 5th gear, but I could be wrong. I believe the whole weekend the highest I noticed was about 1.8 bar, although that was on the stock gauge and wasn't really looking at my gauges all that often.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:39 PM
AlexE
Pro

I have had the pipes pop off on the track.... pretty embarassing when you have a great time going and the car starts running like a ford pinto.

Keep the pipes dry and use the t-clamps if you can find them.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Clean the pipes and the connecting hoses from oil (there will be oil on them..).
Then got yourself these kind of clamps:
Old 10-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

...or if you want even more powerful clamps, get these!
Old 10-28-2003, 04:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have samco hose with t-bolt clamps on my powerhaus IC straight pipe. It was always coming off till I got the t clamps...
Old 10-28-2003, 08:53 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I'll look into these. Really don't care for it happing to often.

Quick Reply: intercooler pipe popped off