When to buy Standalone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
With 924 2.0l block my first question is what cylinder head are you planning to use?
PM sent
Old 09-22-2016, 01:07 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Thanks guys for your input. Appreciate it.

I'll wait until un virtually finished the engine.

Eric, keen to see what you come up with. I am pretty open to anything as the engine isn't a 944 block. possibly a 924 2L so i really am open to anything.

Ideally i do have an ECU in mind. which has a lot of local support.
I have the M84 and I like it. Although it does not have all the bells and whistles, I would not have used them anyway. Being where you are you should have excellent support for any of the Motecs
Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Would you build the motor first, then buy the ECU.
or
Would you buy the ECU then build the motor around it.
Please define "before" and "after".

An engine that you intend to run with a standalone ECU which will allow you to tweak it to death is most likely never going to be "finished", especially on a race car.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I have the M84 and I like it. Although it does not have all the bells and whistles, I would not have used them anyway. Being where you are you should have excellent support for any of the Motecs
Motec, Haltech, Wolf to name a few that are aussy made and have a lot of support all over the country.

Motec would be rated the best. but pricey.
Wolf has 1 computer and that's that. IMO that's good.
Haltech has a huge range. bit overwhelming but i'll need to go though it.

I'll be leaning towards either a wolf or haltech. I prefer the wolf at the moment.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:59 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
...VEMS will run the stock sensors...
A year or two ago when I was having AFM issues on my turbo I looked for alternatives. VEMS was one I was interested in.

Last edited by blade7; 10-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I've had nothing but positive/pleasant experiences with the supplier of 944 VEMS kits.
If I ever have a tuning or hardware question I can just facebook message him and have a response within a few hours at most.

I think sometimes the phrasing of the responses can be taken as being irritated, but I think it is perhaps a Baltic cultural thing of very direct, blunt statements...
Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I think sometimes the phrasing of the responses can be taken as being irritated
The phrasing of the questions too, depending on who asks them.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Thom, I tried PMing you yesterday but your box was full.
Could you look at my "foglight duct" thread in this forum, about Asarus' car?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:53 PM
blade7
Drifting

I think sometimes the phrasing of the responses can be taken as being irritated, but I think it is perhaps a Baltic cultural thing of very direct, blunt statements...
Perhaps not speaking English as a first language bypasses some good manners...
Old 09-22-2016, 04:56 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

The Megasquirt ECUs are also worth a look, I paid $350 for my MicroSquirt with a 8' flying lead harness and am very happy with it. It doesn't have as many features as more expensive options, but everything I use is there. That leaves a lot of room in the budget for other components and upgrades. The MS3X going into my 951 is about $1700 for the kit, wiring setup, and all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth, sequential fuel/spark, EBC, big injectors, and knock sensing. I have a few spreadsheets of cost breakdowns if you're interested. It has a million features, many of which I probably will never fully utilize. It's more oriented toward the DIY guy, whereas the Haltechs and Motecs are aimed at people wanting a polished and professional setup.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I like haltech approach. Pay ecu and everything that it offers is yours. Forever.

Motec is more like slot machine. You buy it but then pay extra for every software feature and for stuff that should be there in the first place like can-usb adapter, extra 250mb(!) logger space etc etc...

For instance:
Licence to open MoTeC standard log files
Allows individual PCs to open any MoTeC log file in i2 Pro
• Log files can be analysed using all i2 Pro features but will be saved in their original format
• Particularly useful for those that use i2 Pro software on one computer to analyse Standard and/or Pro log files from many MoTeC logging devices
Open i2 Standard Files (1 year) 22011 530 GBP
So $690 per year to examine logs.

ADL3 UPGRADES
250MB Logging Memory (upgrade from 16MB to 250MB) 29315 598 GBP
At $780 this has to be the world's most expensive 250mb memory card.

UTC USB to CAN Converter 61059 160 GBP
Stinking usb port for $200. But wait, its a discount.. It used to cost $400. https://racespeconline.com/products/...nt=20904264705

http://eurolamp-wrt.com/images/documents/MoTeC2016.pdf

Last edited by Voith; 09-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
I like haltech approach. Pay ecu and everything that it offers is yours. Forever.
I tuned Haltech PS1000 few months ago on Nissan 200SX with GT30R, big IC, blacktop 2.0 engine etc, had mixed opinions. I like the fact that you have free access to software etc (just download it and use without any special dongle etc like normal ECU's should be nowadays) but was less impressed with the software, more specificly its ease of use and lack of important (to me at least) parameters. The idle settings were extremely limited and I would not have complained about it if the idle was fine, it was not. Also acceleration enrichment control strategies could have been much better.
But I have seen worse ECU's so it was ok.

Originally Posted by blade7
Perhaps not speaking English as a first language bypasses some good manners...
Same could be applied to you. Please don't act as if I am begging for your money, have some respect to the person (by not expecting for example him to be crook in first place) and please read the original posts carefully, that's all.
While English is not my first language, I consider myself speaking English a bit above average and sadly can see native English speakers mess up the spelling ("brakes" are "breaks", "their" vs "there" etc) quite often.
It is not mandatory to buy stuff from someone and having a standalone on a car is not a human right so if you don't like the product or a person who offers it, you don't have to buy it.
So far I have received very positive feedback regarding the tech support I provide and I intend to keep the "no bs, straight to the point line".
Old 09-24-2016, 07:51 AM
blade7
Drifting

Please don't act as if I am begging for your money, have some respect to the person (by not expecting for example him to be crook in first place) and please read the original posts carefully, that's all.
While English is not my first language, I consider myself speaking English a bit above average and sadly can see native English speakers mess up the spelling ("brakes" are "breaks", "their" vs "there" etc) quite often.
At no point have I implied you are a "crook".

Last edited by blade7; 10-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Why not become a site sponsor and advertise your product openly on here, perhaps then your posts wont be deleted like last time.

At 150usd a month that I was offered, no thanks. If someone wants to find it, it can be easily done.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Ouch that's a little pricey

At 150usd a month that I was offered, no thanks. If someone wants to find it, it can be easily done.

Quick Reply: When to buy Standalone ECU