Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Savin to buy my first 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 03:35 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by daniel951
i didn't think anyone in this forum was from colorado but now i see there are a couple. I paid $7200 for mine
CO Represent!! We should have a CO get together!! There was a guy selling his red 951 in Denver about 3 mos ago... (I test drove it) Wonder if he traded it in to that dealer??
Old 10-24-2003, 05:40 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can try:

peoplefirst.com

They do person-to-person loans on any car just as long as its over $7500. And its a pretty good APR.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey koolbeenz...did it have a "grey" (looks tan to me) cloth interior? and yes. we should have a Colorado get together...How about second creek? or just maybe a Colorado 951 ski trip once it snows...I've got a ski rack that will fit the 951!

Thanks for the help v944god. I'll check that out. heh...I couldn't sleep last night...I'm getting excited...is that bad?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Wow...just checked out People first and it's incredible! that's some good prices. this is lookin to be affordable (v944god, my parents may come lookin for ya with a bat for showin me that link)
Old 10-24-2003, 12:04 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has that car been wrecked? It looks like the driver side fender is a little high in the front. Also the car is missing the front underside spoiler which may also be an indication.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Yeah...that's another thing I should look for. I called my tech, and he'll do a good inspection for me for cheap. I was wondering that too actually cuz there is a bit of a gap between the fender and the bumper on the passenger side. I donno what the underside spoiler looks like, so I can't make that call. but I'll have my tech look at it and advise me.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like a big bat wing. It's a black plastic piece that covers the entire underside of the front nose panel. Often times if this piece gets broke, it doesn't get replaced because they are so expensive from the factory.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:54 PM
jace
Intermediate

See if the dealer has the (written) maintenance history. This is often another disadvantage of buying from a dealer - they usually don't know anything about a car's background (don't believe what they tell you!).

I would also echo the point that this sounds like a high price, especially if your going to tear into the engine right away. Judging by some of the comments on the other threads about troubles selling 944's, it seems like you may be able do better (winter is approaching in Colorado and the dealer does not want to sit on this car till spring!).

Good luck
Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was planning on buying an incredible 951 via peoplefirst, but the only problem is im poor . School and work is already hard, but I don't want to know how bad it will be with monthly payments.

Get some money first, get a check via peoplefirst, buy the car, send a check to peoplefirst for the money you had saved. This will cut a nice % of the payments.

Example:

Lets say you take out $7500(min) and you have atleast $3k in the bank. Get the check from peoplefirst for $7500 so your automatically accepted, and than send them the check for $3k, cutting your paying almost in half, makes the payments alot easier.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:52 PM
rocket951
Instructor

I am also a Colorado resident and a new 951 owner, I just picked up my Alpine White '88 last week. I bought it from a friends father, it was never advertised and it was six months from the time I first looked at it until I purhased it one week ago. The car has 59k miles on it and is a one owner car, excellent condition, and I paid $8000 for it.

I looked for a 951 for over a year and have seen many fine examples for less than $10k. If the owner won't budge on the price keep looking, they are out there.

BTW, I live in Littleton. I think a Colorado get-together would be great, but my car is going in the garage the first time snow flies....

Rodney
Old 10-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Where in Colorado are ya Rodney?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:34 PM
rocket951
Instructor

I live in Littleton. If you see a white 951 running around south Denver it is probably me...

Rodney
Old 10-24-2003, 05:05 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can finance a car as old as you like. Check out www.peoplefirst.com The company was so good Capital One bought them a few months ago. I have worked w/them for years and they are the best service provider I have in my life. Mininimum loan amount is $7500.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Oky Doky, I test drove it. talk about molested. poor car. here is what I noticed (visual):

-it's been wrecked (the salesman said he didn't know, but crooked body panels tell me it has)
-the paint is peeling off (MAACO paint job...no prep, paint on paint)
-Brand new tires (from General tire)
-brake rotors deeply grooved
-subwoofer replaces spare tire
-tape deck is not installed propperly (it sticks out of the dash about 2.5 inches)
-no belly pan
-hatch did not open with switch
-glove compartment didn't stay shut
-passenger seat switch (on the side to let the midgets out of the back) missing
-clock didn't work
-cassette box (on center console) did not latch
-PO smoked
-Trip odometer button stuck in
-trip odometer therefore did not operate
-possible Odometer didn't work (I didn't check)
-aftermarket turbo gauge loosely sitting in that small opening below the stereo

Now for what I noticed on the test drive:

<engine>
-clicks loudly, most likely valve lifters (I hope)
-turbo spools up at 4 grand (seemed a lil late to me)

<brakes>
-Grindy...needs pads and rotors

<body>
-rattles from somwhere behind the driver's seat

I was able to talk the guy down from his asking price of $11,950.00 to $8,500. here is what he told me about the car:

-"PO said he'd drop off the records a month ago, but he moved away without doing so."
-"I had a porsche tech (from a piddly-*** hole in the wall) service it....a Porsche tech is a Porsche tech, right?"
-"I don't think it's ever had the timing belt done"
-"all 17 year old cars have been repainted"
-I thought to myself "not mine"
-"I don't know if it's been wrecked. I'm not gonna lie to ya"

So, It's not the beauty I thought it was. so, it's now time to keep looking, and let my bank account grow for the next time I find a deal (and it's worth it)
Old 10-24-2003, 09:03 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porschephile, good job you didn't jump on it without taking a closer look.

Also, the click can be a heat shield. I had the same thing happen to me. Loud *** click coming from the engine. So I looked on the left hand side and say the heat shield tapping on the headers.

But, IMO $11k is way too much to spend on a 951.

Quick Reply: Savin to buy my first 951