Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transaxle stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:40 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Ah ok, I wasn’t aware that the trans slid fore and aft, I thought it was a solid run between the motor mounts and trans mount. Do the engine mounts rock more than a negligible about fore and aft?
It is solid, the engine/tube/trans are all rigidly connected to one another.

I could be wrong, but I think that the entire driveline is going to move fore/aft under acceleration, braking, shifting, etc. This becomes very apparent when the mounts are getting old or soft and you can feel the entire car shudder when shifting or starting from a stop.

Maybe fresh, new mounts are enough to bring this to a negligible amount, I do not know.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
...I could be wrong, but I think that the entire driveline is going to move fore/aft under acceleration, braking, shifting, etc. This becomes very apparent when the mounts are getting old or soft and you can feel the entire car shudder when shifting or starting from a stop....
Im going to say it doesn’t move fore and aft except for maybe a negligible amount as when my motor mounts were totally worn I don’t recal seeing the shifter move enough that I would notice. With new mounts the only movement I notice on the shifter is slightly side to side on acceleration and deceleration.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

MAGK944, nice find in PET thanks for posting.
Also, French Toast thanks for chiming in, I think you're bringing up a good point.

I was planning to do the Urethane Transmission mod but rather liked the idea of an OEM brace.
Since this piece was never meant to be a transmission brace I think further design for that use is wise. It seems to be working well for boost feen and i've seen similar braces on here using spherical ends and a bar stock solid brace. I believe a lateral brace will improve shifting performance and help limit over extending CV joints from to much lateral movement of the transmission case. Since the transmission and engine act as one in the chassis it seems logical that allowing similar movement at each end will suffice. That being said what do we think of using a rubber anti-vibration mount (Lord Mount) mounted to a MM mount as shown below. I'll need to take a closer look at things once i have the brace in hand but with a fixed connection at the transmission case i think we're looking for a mount at the chassis that allows a similar amount of movement as the engine mounts...?

Might also include thin rubber bushings between the transmission case and the new brace just to free up that rigid connection some.

Thoughts? Other chassis mounting ideas?

Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

if you look at the early model 944 trans mount there's no chance that trans is moving fore/aft, only up/down or twisting along its axis.

the late model banana-hammock is so floppy that it probably *could* move fore/aft but i think it's pretty well secured at the front end to prevent that.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm not very familiar with early cars but after looking at those mounts I think you're right.
Any movement at the mount is very small, measured in mm's at best but I also agree with French Toast that a completely rigid mount is not ideal...question is how much movement is useful / acceptable? I think your urethane mod is a good one and i will probably still complete that as well as mount this brace with some type of rubber bushing at the chassis.
This will be my first time dropping a transmission so should be fun, lots of cleaning and other while you're in there projects to complete.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Aircon anti vibration mounts would work here and have at least 5mm give in all directions.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

If anyone is interested, a friend of mine in the UK can supply the hanger and 2 new bushings for $135 delivered if anyone is interested. Let me know. The top bracket if you want/need it would be another $15.

Quick Reply: Transaxle stabilizer