Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Maf questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Chris38
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf questions

I have a 951 which has a older setup from lindsey which included a dbx 85mm maf. I have had alot of issues with it lately. Tried cleaning it but no help. It will run ok for a mile ore two then go nutty till i open hood and tap on it. Doesn't last very long though.
I am jus wondering if i would be better off going with a vitesse maf+ kit. Or a rouge mtune. This is my first 944 turbo and i want it reliable as possible. Although it does already have alot of mods.
55lb injectors
Larger turbo
Wide band with gauge
Adjustable boost gauge with scramble mode.
3 bar fuel
Aftermarket bov
Dual waste gate
Ostrich emulator
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you examined the wiring harness that plugs into the MAF? Both the connector itself and the connections that were spliced into the factory harness. Since you said you are having intermittent trouble it could be a poor connection.

Just to be clear is your MAF the 4 wire bullet style with the 2 wire IAT sensor?
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Chris38
Track Day

Yes its the 4 wire abaco dbx 85mm
I checked all connections 4 times. When it acts weird it will skip and not take throttle. I tried moveing wire instead of taping on the dbx but it Always needs a couple of wacks to clear up. I even too it off car cleaned it very well. Helped but appears to be internal. Definitely not a connection problem checked well. Also reloaded maps with the dbx software. Results same no fix. I heard these abaco dbx 85mm had a circuit board problem but not sure. Plus they are out of business. It was once in a kit form lindsey. I even have the receipt where the P.O. purchased it from them. At this point i am not sure it is able to be fixed with this kit.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Chris38
Track Day

By the way the kit was the LR quad m
That the P.O. purchased
Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Contact LR they are normally very helpful.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Chris38
Track Day

I already contacted LR. Talked to Dave and he basically said the same. check connections. After i checked and re checked he basically said the dbx company was out of business and either find used one or seco may have some left. His new setup is rouges mtune. The dbx only came with one year warranty through them. I am not blaming LR I understand companies go out of business. I did get a used one on flea bay but when it got to me it was in pityfull shape.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Can the unit be disassembled?
It sounds like it has bad solder connections internally.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If I remember right, the DBX uses all surface mount PCBA's, so unless you have the right equipment you can't really work on them.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Chris38
Track Day

That is correct the unit uses surface mount boards. And no seals or coatings to protect them. I can not see working on them at all.
I also have been looking into stand alone? Not real sure what it will involve. Pros amd cons.
I just want opinions and options at this point. Car is just sitting and waiting on my decision. Lol
Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

The board can be reworked, but it does take an elevated soldering skill set. You don't have to resolder every component. There are companies that do board reflow/rework.

However, you might try examining it to see if there are any obvious joint cracks or separated end caps.
Get a magnifying lens and dig in. The fact that you can rap on the MAF and it works is definitely an intermittent solder connection.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Chris38
Track Day

Not sure if you have seen these apart. But in order to even see the soldier links you must unsoldier the board from the t boards inside the throat of it. They are made together so it isn't visiable untill it is completely taken apart with the iron. I have decent skills with a this but this is a very difficult process. And it gets even worse if it is in the t boards as they are glued in place.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

No, I haven't seen the insides, and from your description it does sound like a tough repair.
To bad the design/construction wasn't that great.

Good luck with it, sounds like you have no choice but to replace, unless you can find another one in working condition.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Chris38
Track Day

I appreciate the tips. I am just trying now to decide which direction to go.
Stand alone vems
Rouge mtune
Vitesse
They all seem to be good products its just a hard decision and alot of $
Old 06-20-2016, 07:09 AM
Chris38
Track Day

I have currently been in contact with a a vendor on a stand alone system. Vems. I was wondering if anyone on here has run this type system? He seems very knowledgeable and has answered many of my questions very fast. Seems to be a very good option at the moment. Please chime in if anyone has any experience with it.
Also contacted vitesse. John's setup has been around a long time and zero bad reveiws. I am sure both of them will see this but hopefull for someone with hands on experience with them.
The ability with vems to tune with android seems pretty awsome. I am ready to order something to get her back on road so please if you have any opinions shoot them to me. Good or bad. Thanks to all.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris38
I have currently been in contact with a a vendor on a stand alone system. Vems. I was wondering if anyone on here has run this type system? He seems very knowledgeable and has answered many of my questions very fast. Seems to be a very good option at the moment. Please chime in if anyone has any experience with it.
Also contacted vitesse. John's setup has been around a long time and zero bad reveiws. I am sure both of them will see this but hopefull for someone with hands on experience with them.
The ability with vems to tune with android seems pretty awsome. I am ready to order something to get her back on road so please if you have any opinions shoot them to me. Good or bad. Thanks to all.
Search a bit for scores of strong opinions! I'm a long-time Vitesse user and fan. As far as I know, nothing is more time-tested and proven on a 951 (at least for engine management stuff). John's stuff flat out works and his customer support is outstanding.

Quick Reply: Maf questions