Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking at this 86 944 Turbo with 69k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Financedog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that the 944 buyers today are bifurcated, and this is a good thing!

You have some, as seen in this thread, that won't pay much for a 944. Why? Well, they aren't worried about repairs, because they have the ability/skill to work on their cars and enjoy doing it. This is a much needed group as they have the experience to spot solid cars that need some TLC and bring them back to former glory. This reduces the less desirable inventory left in the market and helps push prices up.

The good news for any market is that there are also buyers like me that prefer the cars you guys have already sorted 😀

Folks like me don't have time/ability to work on our cars. We prefer cars that have been babied and ready to enjoy. I bought my one owner Turbo last fall and it has been rock solid. It is not a daily driver......just something to take for a spin on the weekend. I paid around what this guy is asking and have not thought twice about it. I know the price will go up over time and I will continue to baby and maintain it at a local reputable shop.

So if the car is as described, it sounds like a win to me too.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chouwalker
How much does it cost to do the timing belt and water pump at a decent shop? Maybe I'll just offer the asking price less the cost of that work.
Just the belts alone I was quoted $500 to $600 from two shops in the US, if you include the water pump another shop quoted $1750, another $2000 to replace belts, water pump, rollers, check for leaks etc. 9 years would outweigh the low miles. I have personally seen belts with low miles go 10 years and they looked ok but I think it's a gamble to not replace in my opinion.

Low mileage cars are getting harder to find so keep that in mind. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

You should be able to get away with a water pump/TB job from a good indy shop for around $1000. Depending upon your locale.

Again, unless $1000 will make or break you, don't sweat it too hard. This 951 looks pretty solid, cared for. 3 years ago you might have been able to get it for $12,000. In 5 years that will be a $20,000 car. Someone bookmark this page so you can come back and tell me I'm wrong.

I "overpaid" for mine in 2010 but I knew I would keep it forever. It's probably worth double what I paid now, at least what I've seen them "go" for on final eBay prices, BAT prices, etc.

My best friend "overpaid" for his 89 in 2009, and is sitting pretty right now.

I write overpaid in quotes because "experts" here or on Pelican would have told me I paid too much.

It boils down to what YOU value. This one doesn't look like condition 1, or even 2, but its a very clean 3 likely, and if you reference hagerty's you'll see you're in the right ballpark (granted, hagerty's is not the end-all be-all, but a good indication at least). Especially if it is a 3 or a 2.5 condition car.

Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt O.
You should be able to get away with a water pump/TB job from a good indy shop for around $1000. Depending upon your locale.

Again, unless $1000 will make or break you, don't sweat it too hard. This 951 looks pretty solid, cared for. 3 years ago you might have been able to get it for $12,000. In 5 years that will be a $20,000 car. Someone bookmark this page so you can come back and tell me I'm wrong.

I "overpaid" for mine in 2010 but I knew I would keep it forever. It's probably worth double what I paid now, at least what I've seen them "go" for on final eBay prices, BAT prices, etc.

My best friend "overpaid" for his 89 in 2009, and is sitting pretty right now.

I write overpaid in quotes because "experts" here or on Pelican would have told me I paid too much.

It boils down to what YOU value. This one doesn't look like condition 1, or even 2, but its a very clean 3 likely, and if you reference hagerty's you'll see you're in the right ballpark (granted, hagerty's is not the end-all be-all, but a good indication at least). Especially if it is a 3 or a 2.5 condition car.

Good luck.
I'm with you guys on paying a little more for a low mile car with all the maintenance up to date. I decided to take the "lower price car and work on it over time" method. Either way is good!! The guys at pelican are living in the year 2000 with there pricing structure. 🙄
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to note on the valuation chart is the parabolic rate of change over the past year or so. At this point it would not be unreasonable for prices to stabilize or drop some on aggregate. With that tool you can also index vs SP500 as a general proxy for speculation capital.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:59 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
14-15k for a 951...pretty damn steep if you ask me...I got the **** flamed out of me at the Pelican forums for looking at a 1988 951 for 9k! But over there, if you spend more than 4K on one your nuts, so take that for what it is worth...
Mine has 130k on it. But sport seats as well. And lsd. The interior of my car is a 8.5 out of 10. Exterior is 7 out of 10. The steering rack needed replaced. Along with a timing/balance. And did the oil pan gasket and bearings while I was ripping into it. I'm going through the fuel lines now and other little cosmetic things. Car is rock solid. I paid $5300. And put in about 3k in parts. Another 1k in labor. Not saying not to buy it. Car looks beautiful. Just saying there may be better deals out there. If you got the loot, hell, buy it!!
Personally I'd pay 9k for a decent '88 but that's just me.

Someone that's new to the 951 world and doesn't realize what it takes to keep these old cars going are in for a surprise. If you're asking how much for a timing belt job I'd venture a guess you're in that group.

So you take your car in for the TB job and the mechanic tells you AFTER he opens it up, ahhhh...you need a complete front engine reseal, and BTW looks like the cam tower gasket is also leaking. So now you've went from $1200 to ??. 6 months later the clutch starts slipping and you're back at the mechanic's shop....IMO you really need to go into the purchase of a 951 with your eyes open. If you don't do your own work and don't realize that mechanics that know how to work on these cars are sometimes few and far between, well..
Old 06-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Valid points, all. And yes, as with anything that appreciates, it can also depreciate. I don't see a low mileage 951 ever being a $5000 car again, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM
chouwalker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great input and help.

I think the existence of this forum and all the great members who contribute to it increase the value of 951s. You folks are awesome!

Quick Reply: Looking at this 86 944 Turbo with 69k miles