Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Creaking rear hatch window

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking rear hatch window

I have a really annoying creaking rear hatch window. it was creaking and clacking over every dip and bump and then someone told me to put vaseline on the weatherstripping and that helped quite a bit, but it still squeaks and cracks over bigger bumps. Is there a solution that anybody has for this, is anyone else encountering this problem?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 PM
911lnv87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what you might be needing:
http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/hatchpinseats/
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

That is interesting, thank you, i will buy those. In addition I think that I have the window separating from the frame and I'm not sure what to do about that.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:33 AM
911lnv87
Racer

This is a real headache , but there are a lot of tread about it
Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

911Inv87 - I searched but I could not find anything, I guess I will have to dig deeper, search better. It is a really annoying noise, sounds like the back window might break, takes the fun out of driving it.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:49 PM
911lnv87
Racer

once you change the pin seat and adjust the pin in it, it shall start to be much better.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by MC Luc
911Inv87 - I searched but I could not find anything, I guess I will have to dig deeper, search better. It is a really annoying noise, sounds like the back window might break, takes the fun out of driving it.
I just had to fix the separating glass on mine. You need to remove all of the trim pieces/spoiler/etc from the hatch then cut the glass all the way off. Clean everything up and glue it back in. Reassemble. I found a local glass guy that helped me by the hour and it ran me about $300. Mine was pretty bad so there was wind noise and the hatch was really wobbly when opening and shutting it.

On the little round nuts that hold the side trim in, I took a flat head bit and using a thin cutting disc I cut a slot in the middle. Worked great!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
I just had to fix the separating glass on mine. You need to remove all of the trim pieces/spoiler/etc from the hatch then cut the glass all the way off. Clean everything up and glue it back in. Reassemble. I found a local glass guy that helped me by the hour and it ran me about $300. Mine was pretty bad so there was wind noise and the hatch was really wobbly when opening and shutting it.

On the little round nuts that hold the side trim in, I took a flat head bit and using a thin cutting disc I cut a slot in the middle. Worked great!
Chuck Henry - what do you men by "cut the glass all the way off" ? I can't picture that, cut it off from what? Thanks this is going to be helpful, I like the idea of cutting a notch in the screws.
I took the car in to 2 local glass shops and they would not touch the back window, no interest.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 PM
911lnv87
Racer

sometime you will be better off buying a used one in better condition...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by 911lnv87
sometime you will be better off buying a used one in better condition...
If you can find one. All of the ones in "great shape" were starting to separate at the hinge. I think it's something they all do eventually if used.

Just to be clear, I notched the tool to fit the round nuts, nut the nuts themselves.

By cutting the glass away I mean removing the glass. Cutting the adhesive that holds the glass to the frame, like removing your windshield. The only way to bond it correctly again is to start fresh, there really isn't a way to just squirt a bit more sealant in the separated areas to fix it.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:24 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Chuck Henry - OK, thanks that makes sense. I may just have to do that myself, and thanks for the clarification on removing the rounded nuts. This can be a winter project once it starts snowing here in Michigan.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I performed the hatch reseal myself a while back. It is a time consuming process esp if you have never done something like it before.

For cutting away the glass from the old sealant I recall taking steel wire and fashioning it to wooden handles making a "wire saw". Once u get a small piece removed with a traditional knife you can use the saw and then gently pull thru.

To reseal 3M Windo-Weld and 3M Single Step Primer were used.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 AM
MC Luc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave951
I performed the hatch reseal myself a while back. It is a time consuming process esp if you have never done something like it before.

For cutting away the glass from the old sealant I recall taking steel wire and fashioning it to wooden handles making a "wire saw". Once u get a small piece removed with a traditional knife you can use the saw and then gently pull thru.

To reseal 3M Windo-Weld and 3M Single Step Primer were used.

How is the hatch holding up? - I assume well!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seal is great. I think the main problem is that over time the repeated slam closures of the hatch cause that gradual upper left corner failure. One of the many problems with these cars where age seems to be the major factor.

Quick Reply: Creaking rear hatch window